Re: Quake-Catcher Network Update

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
      Quake-Shake Sensor is on it's way. Should be interesting. From what I
      read, you laptop users already have an accelerometer built into the
      laptop, I had no clue, so you just need the softwware.

      Steve
    • alrjr2001
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
        Its dependent on the make/model of the laptop, all of the newer Macs
        (I believe 2005 & up) & a very select list of PC laptops contain the
        accelerometer. My "newest" Mac laptop is 04 vintage & doesnt have one
        & the antique Compaq I'm using for WUHU doesnt either:-( I approached
        my sons school about setting one up there in the computer lab but I
        have yet to hear back from them - I guess $5 or even free doesnt
        interest them. Maybe if it were gubment handout they'd be interested!

        Arnold In The Smokies

        <steve_03222@...> wrote:

        > Quake-Shake Sensor is on it's way. Should be interesting. From what I
        > read, you laptop users already have an accelerometer built into the
        > laptop, I had no clue, so you just need the softwware.
        >
        > Steve

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
          I have no idea if my laptop has an accelerometer or not.  I'm afraid that if I were to upload vibrations via the laptop, it would signal an earthquake every spin cycle on the washing machine!

          --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "steve_03222"

          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 8, 2009
            I approached a local school and they were very interested. It is the
            same school that I help install a PWS at. I offered to pay the $5.00
            for their sensor, so it will not cost the school anything. I will help
            them set it up and work on the interactive demo for them.

            Steve
          • rob.sokolowski
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
              <steve_03222@...> wrote:

              > Quake-Shake Sensor is on it's way. Should be interesting. From what
              > read, you laptop users already have an accelerometer built into the
              > laptop, I had no clue, so you just need the softwware.
              >
              > Steve

              Hi All I have been running QCN with a USB sensor since November.It's a
              great project! I had no idea I would get so many triggers here in
              Maine!! Check it out! Rob
            • Norman E. Avila G.
              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                Hi Rob,
                I want to put some in Central America, here we definitelly have a lot of quakes big and small

                where i can see the info and what can i spect to have ? coudl i have aN ESTIMATE
                Norman E. Avila G.
                -------------------------------
                USA (415)  287-0310
                GUA (502) 2360-9950

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                  sorry... estimate of position and magnitude in realtime after an event ???

                  thanks

                  Norman E. Avila G.
                  -------------------------------
                  USA (415)  287-0310
                  GUA (502) 2360-9950

                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                    It seems like a really interesting project.  I may invest in a unit when I get my tax refund.

                    sorry... estimate of position and magnitude in realtime after an event ???

                    thanks

                    Norman E. Avila G.
                    ------------ --------- --------- -
                    USA (415)  287-0310
                    GUA (502) 2360-9950

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Norman E. Avila G."

                      <neavilag@...>wrote:

                      > > Hi Rob,
                      > > I want to put some in Central America, here we definitelly have
                      a lot of
                      > > quakes big and small
                      > >
                      > > where i can see the info and what can i spect to have ? coudl i
                      have aN
                      > > ESTIMATE
                      > > Norman E. Avila G.
                      > > -------------------------------
                      > > USA (415) 287-0310
                      > > GUA (502) 2360-9950
                      > >

                      > > On Mon, Feb 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM, rob.sokolowski
                      <dadtrekster@...>wrote:

                      > >> --- In
                      wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
                      40yahoogroups.com>,

                      From what

                      > >> Hi All I have been running QCN with a USB sensor since
                      November.It's a
                      > >> great project! I had no idea I would get so many triggers here
                      in
                      > >> Maine!! Check it out! Rob
                      > >>

                      > >Hi Norman check out their website http://qcn.stanford.edu/,all
                      kinds of info there! Rob

                    • alrjr2001
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                        Thats funny in our old house the floor in the utility room vibrated
                        pretty good with the front load washer spinning too:-)

                        Arnold In The Smokies
                        DW1121

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Greg <gw33340@...> wrote:

                        > I have no idea if my laptop has an accelerometer or not. I'm afraid
                        that if I were to upload vibrations via the laptop, it would signal an
                        earthquake every spin cycle on the washing machine!

                      • alrjr2001
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                          Yeah I offered to pay the $5 as well & it didnt garner a reply other
                          then "they'd have the science coordinator look into it". I thought at
                          a minimum it would be good for the kids to learn what an accelerometer
                          was & how it worked. This was at the elementary school, maybe I should
                          ask the high school. It also could be since were in North Carolina
                          they dont see a point but earthquakes do occur on rare occasions here.

                          Arnold In The Smokies
                          DW1121

                          <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                          > I approached a local school and they were very interested. It is the
                          > same school that I help install a PWS at. I offered to pay the $5.00
                          > for their sensor, so it will not cost the school anything. I will help
                          > them set it up and work on the interactive demo for them.
                          >
                          > Steve

                        • Greg
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 9, 2009
                            Arnold,

                            I know the attached shows mostly east TN, but it is pretty close to your area:

                            recent earthquakes

                            Maybe this will help.

                            Greg

                            <steve_03222@ ...> wrote:

                            > I approached a local school and they were very interested. It is the
                            > same school that I help install a PWS at. I offered to pay the $5.00
                            > for their sensor, so it will not cost the school anything. I will help
                            > them set it up and work on the interactive demo for them.
                            >
                            > Steve

                          • alrjr2001
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 10, 2009
                              Thats a cool site, we used to use that a lot when we lived in CA :-)

                              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Greg <gw33340@...> wrote:

                              > Arnold,
                              >
                              > I know the attached shows mostly east TN, but it is pretty close to
                              your area:

                              > recent earthquakes
                              >
                              > Maybe this will help.
                              >
                              > Greg

                            • Jaye Ellen
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 10, 2009
                                could anyone remind me how to get the software for earthquake detection?

                                Jaye Ellen, KTNGALLA2

                                On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 7:33 PM, alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

                                Thats a cool site, we used to use that a lot when we lived in CA :-)

                                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Greg <gw33340@...> wrote:

                                > Arnold,
                                >
                                > I know the attached shows mostly east TN, but it is pretty close to
                                your area:

                                > recent earthquakes
                                >
                                > Maybe this will help.
                                >
                                > Greg

                              • Greg
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 10, 2009
                                  Quake Catcher

                                  On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 7:33 PM, alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@yahoo. com> wrote:

                                  Thats a cool site, we used to use that a lot when we lived in CA :-)

                                  --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Greg <gw33340@...> wrote:

                                  > Arnold,
                                  >
                                  > I know the attached shows mostly east TN, but it is pretty close to
                                  your area:

                                  > recent earthquakes
                                  >
                                  > Maybe this will help.
                                  >
                                  > Greg

                                • alrjr2001
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 11, 2009
                                    Here ya go Jaye:

                                    http://qcn-web.stanford.edu/index.php

                                    The links for the software are on the upper right side.

                                    Arnold In The Smokies
                                    DW1121

                                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jaye Ellen