Laptop Power Saving Settings?

  • alrjr2001
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 29, 2009
      Anyone with a laptop running 24/7 experimented with the power saving
      features at all? I have mine set to dim the screen after 15 min or so
      but I've been keeping the hard drive spinning (never shut down), I'm
      curious if WUHU will play nice if the hard drive spins down?

      Arnold In The Smokies
      DW1121
    • Larry Myers

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 29, 2009
          They will probably not spin down if data is written to the HD, just a
          guess.

          As new data is gathered from the station, it is immediately written to
          the history file so that a power loss will not result in lost data.

          Since some good storms usually knock out the power, it is probably a
          good idea to save the data.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
          <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

          > Anyone with a laptop running 24/7 experimented with the power saving
          > features at all? I have mine set to dim the screen after 15 min or so
          > but I've been keeping the hard drive spinning (never shut down), I'm
          > curious if WUHU will play nice if the hard drive spins down?
          >
          > Arnold In The Smokies
          > DW1121

        • Rob Reab
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 29, 2009

            As long as you don’t put your system in ‘sleep’ or ‘standby’ , you should be fine. Every time WUHU writes to the log, the drives will spin back up (if they even had time to reach the ‘turn off after x minutes’ limit.) Shutting off the screen should affect nothing as far as WUHU is concerned

            Signature - Rob

            Rob Reab

            RobReab at msn.com

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 30, 2009
              I've had stations running on several different laptops. I started out
              having the hard drive on all the time and started having problems with
              the drive. I kind of figured they weren't really designed to be on
              24/7 and it shortened their life expectancy. I then had the drive
              shutdown after a very short period and haven't had any problems with
              the software. The latest thing I've done is to remove the hard drive.
              I found an old notebook in my junk pile (never throw anything away
              :))that had a bad screen but the rest worked. I took the screen off
              (I access it remotely) and replaced the HD with a compact flash card.
              I've done two, one has an 8 gb card and the other a 4 gb. You can
              get an IDE adapter that plugs in in place of the hard drive. I loaded
              XP on them and the weather programs and so far haven't had a bit of
              trouble. No worries about the HD running 24/7....
              Jerry

              <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

              > Anyone with a laptop running 24/7 experimented with the power saving
              > features at all? I have mine set to dim the screen after 15 min or so
              > but I've been keeping the hard drive spinning (never shut down), I'm
              > curious if WUHU will play nice if the hard drive spins down?
              >
              > Arnold In The Smokies
              > DW1121

            • Larry Myers
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 30, 2009
                WHOA.....I BOW TO YOU!! That is the most amazing idea, not only does it draw less power but it could also be solid state so no moving parts too, just incredible. I see myself trying this out someday!! I am using an ancient laptop already but I am still relying on the old HD which one has failed already, luckily had another small one at the time, but never even thought about this.

                Thanks for the ideas!!
                Larry

                <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

                > Anyone with a laptop running 24/7 experimented with the power saving
                > features at all? I have mine set to dim the screen after 15 min or so
                > but I've been keeping the hard drive spinning (never shut down), I'm
                > curious if WUHU will play nice if the hard drive spins down?
                >
                > Arnold In The Smokies
                > DW1121

              • alrjr2001
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
                  Cool idea! No moving parts has a definite advantage, an SSD drive
                  would also work & give a bit more capacity.

                  Arnold In The Smokies
                  DW1121

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "j1haaland" <cpr@...> wrote:

                  > I've had stations running on several different laptops. I started out
                  > having the hard drive on all the time and started having problems with
                  > the drive. I kind of figured they weren't really designed to be on
                  > 24/7 and it shortened their life expectancy. I then had the drive
                  > shutdown after a very short period and haven't had any problems with
                  > the software. The latest thing I've done is to remove the hard drive.
                  > I found an old notebook in my junk pile (never throw anything away
                  > :))that had a bad screen but the rest worked. I took the screen off
                  > (I access it remotely) and replaced the HD with a compact flash card.
                  > I've done two, one has an 8 gb card and the other a 4 gb. You can
                  > get an IDE adapter that plugs in in place of the hard drive. I loaded
                  > XP on them and the weather programs and so far haven't had a bit of
                  > trouble. No worries about the HD running 24/7....
                  > Jerry
                  >

                  > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
                  > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Anyone with a laptop running 24/7 experimented with the power saving
                  > > features at all? I have mine set to dim the screen after 15 min or so
                  > > but I've been keeping the hard drive spinning (never shut down), I'm
                  > > curious if WUHU will play nice if the hard drive spins down?
                  > >
                  > > Arnold In The Smokies
                  > > DW1121

                • Greg
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
                    Isn't that what these Acer computers are all about?

                    Cool idea! No moving parts has a definite advantage, an SSD drive
                    would also work & give a bit more capacity.

                    Arnold In The Smokies
                    DW1121

                    --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "j1haaland" <cpr@...> wrote:

                    > I've had stations running on several different laptops. I started out
                    > having the hard drive on all the time and started having problems with
                    > the drive. I kind of figured they weren't really designed to be on
                    > 24/7 and it shortened their life expectancy. I then had the drive
                    > shutdown after a very short period and haven't had any problems with
                    > the software. The latest thing I've done is to remove the hard drive.
                    > I found an old notebook in my junk pile (never throw anything away
                    > :))that had a bad screen but the rest worked. I took the screen off
                    > (I access it remotely) and replaced the HD with a compact flash card.
                    > I've done two, one has an 8 gb card and the other a 4 gb. You can
                    > get an IDE adapter that plugs in in place of the hard drive. I loaded
                    > XP on them and the weather programs and so far haven't had a bit of
                    > trouble. No worries about the HD running 24/7....
                    > Jerry
                    >

                    > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "alrjr2001"
                    > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Anyone with a laptop running 24/7 experimented with the power saving
                    > > features at all? I have mine set to dim the screen after 15 min or so
                    > > but I've been keeping the hard drive spinning (never shut down), I'm
                    > > curious if WUHU will play nice if the hard drive spins down?
                    > >
                    > > Arnold In The Smokies
                    > > DW1121

                  • Jeff, NM
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
                      Has anyone tried renaming the Path statement in WuHU to run from, say E: of F: drive and run it from a Memory Stick?
                      Isn't that what these Acer computers are all about?

                      Cool idea! No moving parts has a definite advantage, an SSD drive
                      would also work & give a bit more capacity.

                      Arnold In The Smokies
                      DW1121

                      --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "j1haaland" <cpr@...> wrote:

                      > I've had stations running on several different laptops. I started out
                      > having the hard drive on all the time and started having problems with
                      > the drive. I kind of figured they weren't really designed to be on
                      > 24/7 and it shortened their life expectancy. I then had the drive
                      > shutdown after a very short period and haven't had any problems with
                      > the software. The latest thing I've done is to remove the hard drive.
                      > I found an old notebook in my junk pile (never throw anything away
                      > :))that had a bad screen but the rest worked. I took the screen off
                      > (I access it remotely) and replaced the HD with a compact flash card.
                      > I've done two, one has an 8 gb card and the other a 4 gb. You can
                      > get an IDE adapter that plugs in in place of the hard drive. I loaded
                      > XP on them and the weather programs and so far haven't had a bit of
                      > trouble. No worries about the HD running 24/7....
                      > Jerry
                      >

                      > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "alrjr2001"
                      > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Anyone with a laptop running 24/7 experimented with the power saving
                      > > features at all? I have mine set to dim the screen after 15 min or so
                      > > but I've been keeping the hard drive spinning (never shut down), I'm
                      > > curious if WUHU will play nice if the hard drive spins down?
                      > >
                      > > Arnold In The Smokies
                      > > DW1121

                    • Jeff, NM
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
                        Replying to my own message... I uninstalled all of the weather
                        software (Heavy Weather and WUHU) did a restart on windows to verify
                        then re-installed everything associated with my weather station to a
                        1GB stick (F:\). I checked and corrected all path statements for my
                        history file and current data location to verify everything was
                        running from the stick. I shut off the HDD on the laptop then the
                        screen. It's working and my HDD activity lamp on the laptop is not
                        flashing. I'm on a different computer monitoring the data on the WU
                        site. It's doing fine. Works for me... I may shut off the logfile
                        later if it gets too big. Wait and see. L8TR - de N5UJJ 73's until
                        next time

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff, NM" <n5ujj@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Has anyone tried renaming the Path statement in WuHU to run from,
                        say E: of F: drive and run it from a Memory Stick?
                        Settings?

                        > Isn't that what these Acer computers are all about?

                        Settings?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009
                          I saw something a year or so ago that someone might be interested in.
                          While looking for something for work I tripped upon an add for a PCI
                          battery backed RAM card that emulated a drive. That would be
                          interesting since it would never wear out.

                          Now I am wondering if anyone has created a USB battery backed thumb drive?

                          Let us know how your experiment goes.

                        • Deeply Shrouded
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009

                            > I saw something a year or so ago that someone might be interested in.
                            > While looking for something for work I tripped upon an add for a PCI
                            > battery backed RAM card that emulated a drive. That would be
                            > interesting since it would never wear out.
                            >
                            > Now I am wondering if anyone has created a USB battery backed thumb
                            drive?

                            > Let us know how your experiment goes.

                            I believe you are thinking of the I-RAM.
                            It is a device with a Lithium-Ion battery that mounts inside your case.
                            When the computer is on, the battery floats around the fully charged
                            limit maintaining the RAM. Since RAM requires a power source in order
                            to maintain what's in it, it's called volatile RAM.
                            Non-volatile ram such as those used in USB thumb drives does not require
                            a power source to maintain its contents, but you have a finite number
                            of read-writes to it. If you check Youtube, you'll find videos of
                            Windows XP booting up very fast using the device.
                            To Windows, the device looks like a hard drive.

                            --Deeply Shrouded & Quiet
                            --Central Control! D-Dial #49
                          • H. Smith
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 31, 2009

                              Yes, Gigabyte makes this one for Serial ATA:

                              http://techreport.com/articles.x/9312

                              There is also a PCI version available.

                              The thumbs use flash chips, that is why there is a write cycle limitation.

                              Searching on Google, I do not see a RAM, battery-backed thumb drive. Would be nice though.