WUHU, WS-2316 & W2k3Svr Crashing

  • Jeffrey Cody
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 22, 2009
      Hi All,

      I've had the WS-2316 since Christmas, and today, I just:
      1) hardwired it all the way to the anemometer (instead of using the wireless)
      2) am using an extension phone cord ( 25' ) to get the signal from
      the base station to my computer.

      The machine (Windows 2003 Server) is now crashing when ever I run
      WUHU for more than 20 min.

      Anyone have any similar issues... know what I might be doing
      wrong? It was working just fine before I did steps 1 & 2 above.

      Thanks all

      Cody
    • Norman E. Avila G.
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 22, 2009
        Hi, did you reintall software? have a default printer enabled ? a normal printer ?  since there is an issue with the graphics generation and printer i think ¿¿¿:-)???

        regards

        Norman E. Avila G.
        -------------------------------
        www.ClimaYa.com

        On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Jeffrey Cody <jeffrey.cody@...> wrote:

        Hi All,

        I've had the WS-2316 since Christmas, and today, I just:
        1) hardwired it all the way to the anemometer (instead of using the wireless)
        2) am using an extension phone cord ( 25' ) to get the signal from
        the base station to my computer.

        The machine (Windows 2003 Server) is now crashing when ever I run
        WUHU for more than 20 min.

        Anyone have any similar issues... know what I might be doing
        wrong? It was working just fine before I did steps 1 & 2 above.

        Thanks all

        Cody

      • Rob Reab
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 22, 2009

          I’ve been running my 2317 as a service directly via serial port to my Win 2003 server for a few months now with no problems. Are you using a usb/serial adapter? If so, update the drivers if available. If you have a serial port, use it.  Otherwise check your event logs, Windows updates and driver updates.

          Signature - Rob

          Rob Reab

          RobReab at msn.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 22, 2009
            Hi ROB
            what you mean "as a service" ? is a 2317 or 2316 and what is the difference ???

            regards

            Norman E. Avila G.
            -------------------------------
            USA (415)  287-0310
            GUA (502) 2360-9950

            RobReab at msn.com

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 22, 2009
              That's great to know.

              So, going directly in SERIAL, you are only using the 3 foot cable...    or do you have an extension on that too?  (curious if the extension is to blame, cause it worked fine for a month until i changed it today)

              Cody

              RobReab at msn.com

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                I am not sure if this is your issue for sure or not, but the manufacturer specifically states in the manual not to use phone cables or couplers, as they are wired to a higher resistance, and could damage your components. They recommend that you buy extension cables specifically made for the weather station at http://www.greatbigoutlet.com/. They are $16.99 + shipping for a 32' cord.

                Good luck!
                Chris

                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                  You could also make the extension cables from Cat5 (just use the right ends) , This is what i did, I have a 2310 and its working with no problems.

                  Dickie

                  Chris Hayman wrote:
[...]

                  __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 3792 (20090123) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                • Chris Hayman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                    oh really? That's good to know. Do you just use the RJ-11 connectors then, or is there another special kind of end you need?

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                      I use RJ11's that I picked up from MCM Electronics, but Im sure Radio Shack has them as well, you will need to make sure of the orientation, I don't recall off hand if it is straight thru or cross over, I beleive there is a wire/cable doc in the files section.  I did mine about a year ago.

                      Dickie

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                        ok. thanks

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                          I'm using a 25' (at least) phone extension cable.

                          Basic troubleshooting rule: 'What's changed (software or hardware) since it
                          last worked?'

                          Rob Reab

                          RobReab at msn.com

                          I've had the WS-2316 since Christmas, and today, I just:
                          1) hardwired it all the way to the anemometer (instead of using the
                          wireless)
                          2) am using an extension phone cord ( 25' ) to get the signal from
                          the base station to my computer.

                          The machine (Windows 2003 Server) is now crashing when ever I run
                          WUHU for more than 20 min.

                          Anyone have any similar issues... know what I might be doing
                          wrong? It was working just fine before I did steps 1 & 2 above.

                          Thanks all

                          Cody

                          Internal Virus Database is out of date.
                          5:16 PM
                        • Rob Reab
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009

                            Running as a service, essentially means you are running in the ‘background’. You are not required to log in for the program to run. This is helpful for a server environment where you normally don’t log in to the machine. Also, it allows the program to start automatically after a reboot or power failure (I use a UPS).

                            I think the difference between the 2316 and 2317 is likely to be cosmetic only. I have a 2317.

                            Signature - Rob

                            Rob Reab

                            RobReab at msn.com

                            what you mean "as a service" ? is a 2317 or 2316 and what is the difference ???

                            regards

                            Norman E. Avila G.
                            -------------------------------
                            USA (415)  287-0310
                            GUA (502) 2360-9950

                            On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 4:04 PM, Rob Reab <robreab@...> wrote:

                            I've been running my 2317 as a service directly via serial port to my Win 2003 server for a few months now with no problems. Are you using a usb/serial adapter? If so, update the drivers if available. If you have a serial port, use it.  Otherwise check your event logs, Windows updates and driver updates.

                            Error! Filename not specified.

                            Rob Reab

                            RobReab at msn.com

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 23, 2009
                              It kinda sounds like the server and the driver aren't agreeing with eachother. I have an XP box that was crashing but I had a bad driver I got off the internet for a radio shack usb to serial connector. I went to best buy and got a different connector and driver which came with it and it hasn't blue screened since. 2003 server might be a bit much of the software and driver.

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 25, 2009
                                Interesting

                                So, I un-did the line from the base unit to the outside temp unit... and I removed the extension phone cable from between the PC & the base unit.  (back to my orig setup)  Everything works fine... so the I added BACK IN the provided cable that connects the base unit to the outside temp unit...   FROZE the machine within 3 minutes.

                                Any thoughts?  I would really like to have updates every 6 sec vs only when the transmitter feels it wants to send.

                                Thanks all for your help!

                                Cody

                                ok. thanks

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 25, 2009
                                  My guess is that if your machine is freezing up, running in wireless
                                  mode simply decreased the probability of the freeze.

                                  Unless you find an updated driver, I would not bother attempting to
                                  use that USB to serial adapter.

                                  Get a reliable USB adapter (we know of one) or a real serial port
                                  (best option).

                                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Jeffrey Cody
                                  <jeffrey.cody@...> wrote:

                                  > Interesting
                                  >
                                  > So, I un-did the line from the base unit to the outside temp unit...
                                  > and I removed the extension phone cable from between the PC & the
                                  > base unit. (back to my orig setup) Everything works fine... so the
                                  > I added BACK IN the provided cable that connects the base unit to the
                                  > outside temp unit... FROZE the machine within 3 minutes.
                                  >
                                  > Any thoughts? I would really like to have updates every 6 sec vs
                                  > only when the transmitter feels it wants to send.
                                  >
                                  > Thanks all for your help!
                                  >
                                  > Cody
                                  >

                                  > At 09:58 AM 1/23/2009, Chris Hayman wrote:
                                  >
                                  > >ok. thanks

                                • Juha Jäntti
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 9, 2009
                                    Hi Chris,

                                    I have extremely serious doubts about what the manufacturer said about
                                    phone cables being wired to higher resistance.

                                    To the best of my knowledge, standard phone cables are nothing more
                                    than just plain copper wiring. It sounds pretty funny that some wires
                                    are "wired to higher resistance" than others.

                                    Higher resistance might be the case if you're planning to hardwire
                                    your weather station with an excess of 300 feet (about 100 meters) of
                                    cable, where the cable's own natural resistance comes into play.

                                    In this case, the higher resistance will only dissipate and reflect
                                    signals in the wiring causing erroneus readings or no readings at all.
                                    In addition, such long distance will make it more prone to static
                                    charges and lightning-based induction damage.

                                    Then come the couplers... Of all the couplers I've come across and the
                                    ones I have opened up have nothing more than straight-through wiring
                                    inside, going from one end to another. There were no resistors,
                                    capacitors or any other components that could rise the resistance
                                    value at all. Of course, the signal level will drop a bit because of
                                    the connection is extended this way but it will never damage the
                                    equipment.

                                    So as far as I can tell, the only true way to lower wire's resistance
                                    would to cool it down to a near absolute zero temperature.

                                    I'm not buying the manufacturer's statement at all. I think this is a
                                    scam for ripping cash from unsuspecting people, pretty much like the
                                    "Oxygen-free copper wiring". For a person with a HiFi-system, it may
                                    make some sense. Wiring like that for a system such as a weather
                                    station, it does not.

                                    Best Regards,
                                    Juha
                                    Weather Station Operator