2315 Strange Wind Readings

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2008
      I had been getting strange wind readings on my 2315. It read 14, 20,
      21 mph on calm days. I assume it was interfearance or static on the
      line from the wind sensor to the temp/hum sensor. I am NOT
      electrically tallented, so I don't want to do the CAT 5 cable thing
      unless I absolutely have to. And, since the unit is only a few
      months old, I hate to tear into it since it's still under warranty.

      So.......

      Yesterday, I spent the day on a project to try to correct the strange
      wind readings. I went to Athens, TN to buy a big drill bit (1/2") at
      Lowes and some ferrous cores/coils at Radio Shack to put on the line
      from the wind sensor.

      I have my wind sensors (and temperature/humidity sensors) mounted on
      a 30-foot, 3-piece steel mast. First, I drilled a hole where I
      wanted the cable to come out, about 7 feet off the ground. Then I
      lowered the top section of the mast (so I could reach the top of it)
      and pulled up the cable. Then I wrapped some foil around the cable
      where it goes into the top of the mast. Then I lowered the cable
      INSIDE the mast. Next I went down and pulled the cable out of the
      hole I had drilled. I mounted the temperature/humidity sensor just
      above the hole to minimize the exposed cable (I may end up wrapping
      it in foil if it still gives problems).

      I have not used the ferrous cores yet. I will give this setup a day
      or two to see if it is going to fix the problem. It's just my luck
      that there's a wind advisory today. I need a calm day to see if I
      get the strange readions.

      I still have the 968 going into the laptop for a calibration. As
      long as the humidity is moderate to high, the 968 hangs in there.
      It's the dry days that makes it crazy.

      Also, it's the last day of the year. I am curious to see if the
      weather consoles/software resets the total rainfall on its' own or if
      I have to do it tomorrow. Luckily, there is no rain predicted, so I
      don't have to stay up until midnight (like the revelers do).

      Stay tuned for further updates and Happy New Year everybody!
    • Kevin Walls
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2008
        Greg:

        I am running wireless so this may not apply but I used to get strange readings on my 2315 but that all ended when I moved by base station 12 feet away from all my PC and Router equipment in my home office. I have run errorless since 12/1, almost a month.

        Kevin
        Kevin@...
        CW7607 K8INCWIL1

        > I had been getting strange wind readings on my 2315. It
        > read 14, 20,
        > 21 mph on calm days. I assume it was interfearance or
        > static on the
        > line from the wind sensor to the temp/hum sensor. I am NOT
        >
        > electrically tallented, so I don't want to do the CAT 5
        > cable thing
        > unless I absolutely have to. And, since the unit is only a
        > few
        > months old, I hate to tear into it since it's still
        > under warranty.
        >
        > So.......
        >
        > Yesterday, I spent the day on a project to try to correct
        > the strange
        > wind readings. I went to Athens, TN to buy a big drill bit
        > (1/2") at
        > Lowes and some ferrous cores/coils at Radio Shack to put on
        > the line
        > from the wind sensor.
        >
        > I have my wind sensors (and temperature/humidity sensors)
        > mounted on
        > a 30-foot, 3-piece steel mast. First, I drilled a hole
        > where I
        > wanted the cable to come out, about 7 feet off the ground.
        > Then I
        > lowered the top section of the mast (so I could reach the
        > top of it)
        > and pulled up the cable. Then I wrapped some foil around
        > the cable
        > where it goes into the top of the mast. Then I lowered the
        > cable
        > INSIDE the mast. Next I went down and pulled the cable out
        > of the
        > hole I had drilled. I mounted the temperature/humidity
        > sensor just
        > above the hole to minimize the exposed cable (I may end up
        > wrapping
        > it in foil if it still gives problems).
        >
        > I have not used the ferrous cores yet. I will give this
        > setup a day
        > or two to see if it is going to fix the problem. It's
        > just my luck
        > that there's a wind advisory today. I need a calm day
        > to see if I
        > get the strange readions.
        >
        > I still have the 968 going into the laptop for a
        > calibration. As
        > long as the humidity is moderate to high, the 968 hangs in
        > there.
        > It's the dry days that makes it crazy.
        >
        > Also, it's the last day of the year. I am curious to
        > see if the
        > weather consoles/software resets the total rainfall on
        > its' own or if
        > I have to do it tomorrow. Luckily, there is no rain
        > predicted, so I
        > don't have to stay up until midnight (like the revelers
        > do).
        >
        > Stay tuned for further updates and Happy New Year
        > everybody!
      • Greg
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 31, 2008
          Yeah, I found that out early on.  My 2315 and my OS WMR968 don't like each other at all.  I've had to put them in separate corners.

          Wireless is nice, but it does have some drawbacks sometimes.

          Kevin Walls <wallskev@...> wrote:
          Greg:

          I am running wireless so this may not apply but I used to get strange readings on my 2315 but that all ended when I moved by base station 12 feet away from all my PC and Router equipment in my home office. I have run errorless since 12/1, almost a month.

          Kevin
          Kevin@marwall. com
          CW7607 K8INCWIL1