From the "I didn't know that!" files

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
      Firstly, I want to thank the founders/moderators of this board. I know
      we stray off topic quite a bit, and I appreciate your tolerance.

      Also, I read this on the CWOP email group I receive:

      On the cwop.aprs.net set of servers, either port 23 or 14580 can be
      used. The difference is that with port 23, there is a stream of data
      that comes back to your software and has to be discarded. With port
      14580, there is no stream of data returned.

      I didn't know that. I thought it was interesting and thought I'd pass
      it on, for what it's worth.

      Greg Whitehead
      Euchee, TN
      etc.
    • Greg
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
        Well, I may have posted that a little too soon. Seems a later post
        said it's not exactly correct, and got into some technospeak I don't
        understand, so take it with a grain of salt.
      • Rob Reab
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008

          Firstly, I want to thank the founders/moderators of this board. I know
          we stray off topic quite a bit, and I appreciate your tolerance.

          Also, I read this on the CWOP email group I receive:.

          On the cwop.aprs.net set of servers, either port 23 or 14580 can be
          used. The difference is that with port 23, there is a stream of data
          that comes back to your software and has to be discarded. With port
          14580, there is no stream of data returned.

          I didn't know that. I thought it was interesting and thought I'd pass
          it on, for what it's worth.

          Greg Whitehead
          Euchee, TN
          etc.

          Internal Virus Database is out of date.

        • Rob Reab
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008

            By the way, we’re almost neighbors. I live in Cookeville and have a daughter in Athens

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 3, 2008
              It's a small world!  I used to live in Athens and Etowah.  I used to own a nightclub in Crossville which had quite a few customers that came in from Cookville.

              Plus, there's that Cookville Weather Guy that's always around these boards!

              Good to see the TN represented here.