RE: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Signal Repeater

  • James Smith
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 26, 2008
      Just a little bit out of my price range right now. Don't understand why it needs to cost so much. Looked at a similar add on device on eBay serial to wifi adapter, but looks like it might be hard to set up with a weather station.
      JimS

      From: rico@ricosweb. net
      Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 10:02:31 -0700

      All of this is possible, some of it is available now. It costs a lot of
      money though, and this has to be passed on to the consumer. You won't
      see it in a sub-$100 weather station.

      The LaCrosse stations have limitations, no doubt about it, but those
      limitations are driven by cost, not ability. If licensing a stronger
      wireless transmitter would have raised the cost of the stations by $100,
      would you still have bought it? :) Adding better detectors would also
      have raised the cost, etc.

      Bottom line is the LaCrosse stations are for general consumers. If you
      want research grade data, you need to shell out for research grade
      components. ;)

      Rich

      M. A.P wrote:
      > In addition to removing the "legacy" serial interface and all the
      > problems that has with modern PCs, i.e. no serial ports available. The
      > first truly wireless consumer weather station/console. ...what a concept.
      >
      > -Mike

      > To: wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
      > From: alrjr2001@yahoo. com
      > Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 15:03:08 +0000
      > Subject: [wuhu_software_ group] Re: Signal Repeater
      >

      > I bet if one approached the manufacturers with the concept that going
      > wireless could free a lot of people from running an extra dedicated
      > computer thus making their product "greener" they might just listen:-)
      >
      > Arnold In The Smokies
      > DW1121
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
      > <mailto:wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>, "elton2861" <edkoehn@... >
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Why not also design a system that works via a LAN for those of use
      > > with wireless networking?
      > >
      > > Elton
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
      > <mailto:wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>, "elton2861" <edkoehn@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > What I don't understand is this,
      > > >
      > > > The makers of these weather stations know that they have a limited
      > > > distance in which to send this info wirelessly. Why don't the apply
      > > > whit the fcc for a little more powerful transmitter so they could
      > > > reliably get at least 300 ft transmission?
      > > >
      > > > Why not come up with a better way to transmit the data via wired mode
      > > > at greater distances with more reliability and less errors?
      > > >
      > > > Why do we continue to be just satisfied with these sub-par systems? We
      > > > should ask them to improve the systems for better performance.
      > > >
      > > > Elton
      > > >

      > > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
      > <mailto:wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>, "Steve A"

      > out
      > the
      > LaCrosse on
      > <mailto:wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>, Radu Eugen

      > want to
      > experienced
      > part of

      Access your email online and on the go with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.