Re: LaCrosse 2310 19% Humidity Is This Thing Broke

  • Juha Jäntti
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 20, 2008
      Tom,

      I believe that the characteristics of the humidity sensors used in
      older LaCrosse 2300 series models are such that humidity values below
      the 19% threshold are reported incorrectly or not at all and
      implementing the solid 19% barrier to the console is LaCrosse's method
      in overtaking this problem.

      You are correct that they could have done this differently and at
      least implement a routine that calculates those lower values, but this
      would have meant implementing only estimations and raw guesswork to
      those values, making probablity of errorneus readings multifold.

      They addressed this issue quietly by issuing 2300 series models that
      are capable of 1-99% humidity range. The only way to determine the new
      humidity range model was to look at the package. Newer units had a
      "1-99% humidity range"-sticker placed on the package.

      I'm not familiar with what LaCrosse unit looks like inside, because I
      never had any reason open up the station console but I assume that
      although there may be a BIOS of some sort in the unit, I don't think
      it's of a programmable sort.

      Best Regards,
      Juha
      Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)