Re: Off Line

  • Annie Grieshop
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 12, 2008
      Thanks for asking this question, Bob, as I was about to post something
      very similar!

      WS-2317, XP w/ serial/USB adapter, HW beta2.

      As with yours, the software shows communication from the receiver, but
      there are no data. And then there are. In my case, there's no
      particular pattern I can identify (although a couple are tempting).

      I have tried contacting LaCrosse several times (please don't snicker
      at me <g>) -- and nope, haven't heard so much as a peep outta 'em.

      Any advice/explanations will be greatly appreciated!

      Annie Grieshop
      www.allthingspiano.com
      KIAMELBO2

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@...>
      wrote:

      > Ok, I know this has been asked before, but I forgot what I read,
      and
      > I did not save the messages.
      >
      > Periodically, the WUHU software shows OFL and is not communicating
      > with the console, then it will start up at some point. I have a
      > Lacrosse 2308 in direct serial mode. The computer is running XP, WUHU
      > 1.0.216.50, and Heavy Weather Beta 2. There is no real pattern to when
      > WUHU goes off line, except it usually is at night. The HW shows
      that it
      > is still reading the console, but WUHU has nothing. I have re-started
      > the program and even re-booted the computer, yet nothing changes. This
      > has been occurring for the past week or so. I did not find anything in
      > the manual about it, did I miss it?
      >
      > Thanks;
      >
      > Bob T.
      > CW9012

    • Jaye Ellen
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 12, 2008
        Hi,
        When I was first getting involved with WUHU, I had the same (or similar) problem.  First off, I think it's better to run in Direct Serial mode, as HW Beta2 is one big hog of memory and computer resources (CPU hog).  Also, it takes a day or two of time before your WUHU account begins communications.  I was truly frustrated till magically communications started!  No one told me about this time delay, but now you know that just waiting might resolve your "problem".

        Best of Luck,

        Jaye Ellen
        KTNGALLA2

        wrote:

        > Ok, I know this has been asked before, but I forgot what I read,
        and
        > I did not save the messages.
        >
        > Periodically, the WUHU software shows OFL and is not communicating
        > with the console, then it will start up at some point. I have a
        > Lacrosse 2308 in direct serial mode. The computer is running XP, WUHU
        > 1.0.216.50, and Heavy Weather Beta 2. There is no real pattern to when
        > WUHU goes off line, except it usually is at night. The HW shows
        that it
        > is still reading the console, but WUHU has nothing. I have re-started
        > the program and even re-booted the computer, yet nothing changes. This
        > has been occurring for the past week or so. I did not find anything in
        > the manual about it, did I miss it?
        >
        > Thanks;
        >
        > Bob T.
        > CW9012

      • alrjr2001
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 12, 2008
          I think theres something going on with one of the recent Windoze XP
          "updates" as I was running rock solid until a couple of weeks ago now
          I'm experiencing loss of connection to the console errors. Usually a
          re-start & re-install of the USB to serial adapter restores everything
          but what a PITA! I checked IOGear for updated drivers but as yet the
          newest one is from 2007.

          Arnold In The Smokies
          DW1121

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Annie Grieshop"
          <annie@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for asking this question, Bob, as I was about to post something
          > very similar!
          >
          > WS-2317, XP w/ serial/USB adapter, HW beta2.
          >
          > As with yours, the software shows communication from the receiver, but
          > there are no data. And then there are. In my case, there's no
          > particular pattern I can identify (although a couple are tempting).
          >
          > I have tried contacting LaCrosse several times (please don't snicker
          > at me <g>) -- and nope, haven't heard so much as a peep outta 'em.
          >
          > Any advice/explanations will be greatly appreciated!
          >
          > Annie Grieshop
          > www.allthingspiano.com
          > KIAMELBO2
          >
          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Ok, I know this has been asked before, but I forgot what I read,
          > and
          > > I did not save the messages.
          > >
          > > Periodically, the WUHU software shows OFL and is not
          communicating
          > > with the console, then it will start up at some point. I have a
          > > Lacrosse 2308 in direct serial mode. The computer is running XP,
          WUHU
          > > 1.0.216.50, and Heavy Weather Beta 2. There is no real pattern to
          when
          > > WUHU goes off line, except it usually is at night. The HW shows
          > that it
          > > is still reading the console, but WUHU has nothing. I have
          re-started
          > > the program and even re-booted the computer, yet nothing changes.
          This
          > > has been occurring for the past week or so. I did not find
          anything in
          > > the manual about it, did I miss it?
          > >
          > > Thanks;
          > >
          > > Bob T.
          > > CW9012

        • Cletus Lutz
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 12, 2008
            Mine started this morning after a update it says com 1 is in use but isn't. Haven't had time to figure it out yet.

            wrote:

            > Thanks for asking this question, Bob, as I was about to post something
            > very similar!
            >
            > WS-2317, XP w/ serial/USB adapter, HW beta2.
            >
            > As with yours, the software shows communication from the receiver, but
            > there are no data. And then there are. In my case, there's no
            > particular pattern I can identify (although a couple are tempting).
            >
            > I have tried contacting LaCrosse several times (please don't snicker
            > at me ) -- and nope, haven't heard so much as a peep outta 'em.
            >
            > Any advice/explanations will be greatly appreciated!
            >
            > Annie Grieshop
            > www.allthingspiano.com
            > KIAMELBO2
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > Ok, I know this has been asked before, but I forgot what I read,
            > and
            > > I did not save the messages.
            > >
            > > Periodically, the WUHU software shows OFL and is not
            communicating
            > > with the console, then it will start up at some point. I have a
            > > Lacrosse 2308 in direct serial mode. The computer is running XP,
            WUHU
            > > 1.0.216.50, and Heavy Weather Beta 2. There is no real pattern to
            when
            > > WUHU goes off line, except it usually is at night. The HW shows
            > that it
            > > is still reading the console, but WUHU has nothing. I have
            re-started
            > > the program and even re-booted the computer, yet nothing changes.
            This
            > > has been occurring for the past week or so. I did not find
            anything in
            > > the manual about it, did I miss it?
            > >
            > > Thanks;
            > >
            > > Bob T.
            > > CW9012

            WUHU Download page:

            <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

            <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

            <*> To change settings via email:
            mailto:wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
            mailto:wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Jaye Ellen
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 12, 2008
              Is Heavy Weather beta running?  Start Task Mgr to find out. Maybe after the update things got reset???
              Just a thought
              Jaye Ellen

              wrote:

              > Thanks for asking this question, Bob, as I was about to post something
              > very similar!
              >
              > WS-2317, XP w/ serial/USB adapter, HW beta2.
              >
              > As with yours, the software shows communication from the receiver, but
              > there are no data. And then there are. In my case, there's no
              > particular pattern I can identify (although a couple are tempting).
              >
              > I have tried contacting LaCrosse several times (please don't snicker
              > at me ) -- and nope, haven't heard so much as a peep outta 'em.

              > Any advice/explanations will be greatly appreciated!
              >
              > Annie Grieshop
              > www.allthingspiano.com
              > KIAMELBO2
              >
              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Ok, I know this has been asked before, but I forgot what I read,
              > and
              > > I did not save the messages.
              > >
              > > Periodically, the WUHU software shows OFL and is not
              communicating
              > > with the console, then it will start up at some point. I have a
              > > Lacrosse 2308 in direct serial mode. The computer is running XP,
              WUHU
              > > 1.0.216.50, and Heavy Weather Beta 2. There is no real pattern to
              when
              > > WUHU goes off line, except it usually is at night. The HW shows
              > that it
              > > is still reading the console, but WUHU has nothing. I have
              re-started
              > > the program and even re-booted the computer, yet nothing changes.
              This
              > > has been occurring for the past week or so. I did not find
              anything in
              > > the manual about it, did I miss it?
              > >
              > > Thanks;
              > >
              > > Bob T.
              > > CW9012

              WUHU Download page:

              <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:<*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
              mailto:wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Radu Eugen
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 12, 2008
                Hi Arnold, if your windows xp is not a genuine one I recommend to forget about any windows updates. Even though windows often offer o a lot of bad surprises with these updates. Check very carefully everything ! Good luck ! Best regards, Eugen

                <annie@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for asking this question, Bob, as I was about to post something
                > very similar!
                >
                > WS-2317, XP w/ serial/USB adapter, HW beta2.
                >
                > As with yours, the software shows communication from the receiver, but
                > there are no data. And then there are. In my case, there's no
                > particular pattern I can identify (although a couple are tempting).
                >
                > I have tried contacting LaCrosse several times (please don't snicker
                > at me <g>) -- and nope, haven't heard so much as a peep outta 'em.
                >
                > Any advice/explanations will be greatly appreciated!
                >
                > Annie Grieshop
                > www.allthingspiano. com
                > KIAMELBO2
                >
                > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@>
                > wrote:
                > >
                > > Ok, I know this has been asked before, but I forgot what I read,
                > and
                > > I did not save the messages.
                > >
                > > Periodically, the WUHU software shows OFL and is not
                communicating
                > > with the console, then it will start up at some point. I have a
                > > Lacrosse 2308 in direct serial mode. The computer is running XP,
                WUHU
                > > 1.0.216.50, and Heavy Weather Beta 2. There is no real pattern to
                when
                > > WUHU goes off line, except it usually is at night. The HW shows
                > that it
                > > is still reading the console, but WUHU has nothing. I have
                re-started
                > > the program and even re-booted the computer, yet nothing changes.
                This
                > > has been occurring for the past week or so. I did not find
                anything in
                > > the manual about it, did I miss it?
                > >
                > > Thanks;
                > >
                > > Bob T.
                > > CW9012

              • Bob Tyszka
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 12, 2008
                  Well, mine went off line again. It looks like when ever the wind speed
                  goes to dashes is when WUHU goes offline.

                  Bob T.
                  CW9012

                  Cletus Lutz wrote:

                  > Mine started this morning after a update it says com 1 is in use but
                  > isn't. Haven't had time to figure it out yet.
                  >
                  > */alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@yahoo. com>/* wrote:
                  >
                  > I think theres something going on with one of the recent Windoze XP
                  > "updates" as I was running rock solid until a couple of weeks ago now
                  > I'm experiencing loss of connection to the console errors. Usually a
                  > re-start & re-install of the USB to serial adapter restores everything
                  > but what a PITA! I checked IOGear for updated drivers but as yet the
                  > newest one is from 2007.
                  >
                  > Arnold In The Smokies
                  > DW1121
                  >
                  > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Annie Grieshop"
                  > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Thanks for asking this question, Bob, as I was about to post
                  > something
                  > > very similar!
                  > >
                  > > WS-2317, XP w/ serial/USB adapter, HW beta2.
                  > >
                  > > As with yours, the software shows communication from the
                  > receiver, but
                  > > there are no data. And then there are. In my case, there's no
                  > > particular pattern I can identify (although a couple are tempting).
                  > >
                  > > I have tried contacting LaCrosse several times (please don't snicker
                  > > at me ) -- and nope, haven't heard so much as a peep outta 'em.
                  > >
                  > > Any advice/explanations will be greatly appreciated!
                  > >
                  > > Annie Grieshop
                  > > www.allthingspiano. com
                  > > KIAMELBO2
                  > >
                  > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Bob Tyszka
                  > > wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Ok, I know this has been asked before, but I forgot what I read,
                  > > and
                  > > > I did not save the messages.
                  > > >
                  > > > Periodically, the WUHU software shows OFL and is not
                  > communicating
                  > > > with the console, then it will start up at some point. I have a
                  > > > Lacrosse 2308 in direct serial mode. The computer is running XP,
                  > WUHU
                  > > > 1.0.216.50, and Heavy Weather Beta 2. There is no real pattern to
                  > when
                  > > > WUHU goes off line, except it usually is at night. The HW shows
                  > > that it
                  > > > is still reading the console, but WUHU has nothing. I have
                  > re-started
                  > > > the program and even re-booted the computer, yet nothing changes.
                  > This
                  > > > has been occurring for the past week or so. I did not find
                  > anything in
                  > > > the manual about it, did I miss it?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks;
                  > > >
                  > > > Bob T.
                  > > > CW9012

                • alrjr2001
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 13, 2008
                    Hi Eugen - Yeah its a legit copy of XP, etc. & no Heavy Weather is not
                    running. Its interesting as it seems intermittent - this AM after
                    running 24 hours all is A-OK:-) I noticed one of the latest Windows
                    updates included a piece to verify the copy of Windows was licensed, I
                    guess with Vista failing they need to recoup some revenue from old
                    installs of XP since they dont sell it new anymore:-)

                    Arnold In The Smokies
                    DW1121

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Radu Eugen
                    <eugenraduoradea@...> wrote:

                    > Hi Arnold, if your windows xp is not a genuine one I recommend to
                    forget about any windows updates. Even though windows often offer o a
                    lot of bad surprises with these updates. Check very carefully
                    everything ! Good luck ! Best regards, Eugen

                  • Mike and Julie
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 13, 2008
                      Add another to the list of people having this problem. Like those
                      before me, mine was running rock solid until just this past weekend
                      when first it got a bit spotty and now it's completely offline. All
                      fields read OFL. I've done the reset thing on the console, checked
                      the batteries in both the console and the sensor. Uninstalled and
                      reinstalled the software with a reboot in the middle. Updated the
                      software to the latest version as well. Uninstalled and reinstalled
                      COM1. I'm running direct connect serial with WS23XX. The really
                      odd thing I've noticed was in order to do some troubleshooting I
                      fired up HW2.0 and it logs perfectly to the currdat.lst file and
                      test.dat file and when I have WUHU read from the currdat.lst file it
                      works fine. So, that's saying something to me.... but I'm just not
                      thinking clear enough at the moment to understand it. Any thoughts?

                      <baluncru@...> wrote:

                      > Well, mine went off line again. It looks like when ever the wind
                      speed
                      > goes to dashes is when WUHU goes offline.
                      >
                      > Bob T.
                      > CW9012
                      >

                      > Cletus Lutz wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Mine started this morning after a update it says com 1 is in use
                      but
                      > > isn't. Haven't had time to figure it out yet.
                      > >
                      > > */alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@yahoo. com>/* wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I think theres something going on with one of the recent
                      Windoze XP
                      > > "updates" as I was running rock solid until a couple of
                      weeks ago now
                      > > I'm experiencing loss of connection to the console errors.
                      Usually a
                      > > re-start & re-install of the USB to serial adapter restores
                      everything
                      > > but what a PITA! I checked IOGear for updated drivers but as
                      yet the
                      > > newest one is from 2007.
                      > >
                      > > Arnold In The Smokies
                      > > DW1121
                      > >
                      > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Annie
                      Grieshop"
                      > > wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > Thanks for asking this question, Bob, as I was about to
                      post
                      > > something
                      > > > very similar!
                      > > >
                      > > > WS-2317, XP w/ serial/USB adapter, HW beta2.
                      > > >
                      > > > As with yours, the software shows communication from the
                      > > receiver, but
                      > > > there are no data. And then there are. In my case, there's
                      no
                      > > > particular pattern I can identify (although a couple are
                      tempting).

                      > > > I have tried contacting LaCrosse several times (please
                      don't snicker
                      > > > at me ) -- and nope, haven't heard so much as a peep
                      outta 'em.

                      > > > Any advice/explanations will be greatly appreciated!
                      > > >
                      > > > Annie Grieshop
                      > > > www.allthingspiano. com
                      > > > KIAMELBO2
                      > > >
                      > > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Bob Tyszka

                      I read,
                      > > > and

                      > > communicating
                      > > WUHU
                      > > when
                      HW shows
                      > > > that it
                      > > re-started
                      > > This
                      > > anything in

                    • Mike and Julie
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 13, 2008
                        Follow up... I have a wind sensor connected that was working
                        previously. I now have to have it disabled in order to make the OFL
                        go away. This happens both with direct connect or with using the
                        HW2.0 currdat.lst file. Sensor gone bad????? Anything specific I
                        can check? Any way to reset it?

                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike and Julie"
                        <mnj2@...> wrote:

> [...]
                        > speed
                        > > goes to dashes is when WUHU goes offline.
                        > >
                        > > Bob T.
                        > > CW9012
                        > >

                        > > Cletus Lutz wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > Mine started this morning after a update it says com 1 is in
                        use
                        > but
                        > > > isn't. Haven't had time to figure it out yet.
                        > > >
                        > > > */alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@yahoo. com>/* wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I think theres something going on with one of the recent
                        > Windoze XP
                        > > > "updates" as I was running rock solid until a couple of
                        > weeks ago now
                        > > > I'm experiencing loss of connection to the console errors.
                        > Usually a
                        > > > re-start & re-install of the USB to serial adapter
                        restores
                        > everything
                        > > > but what a PITA! I checked IOGear for updated drivers but

                      • Rick
                        Message 11 of 14 , Nov 13, 2008
                          look for nicks in the cable or some kind of break at the connection
                          you might be getting moisture in the line if you do that will screw up
                          the works BIG TIME!

                          Rick
                          KOHWAPAK1
                          www.wapakweather.com

                          <mnj2@...> wrote:

                          > Follow up... I have a wind sensor connected that was working
                          > previously. I now have to have it disabled in order to make the OFL
                          > go away. This happens both with direct connect or with using the
                          > HW2.0 currdat.lst file. Sensor gone bad????? Anything specific I
                          > can check? Any way to reset it?
                          >

                          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike and Julie"
                          > <mnj2@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > Add another to the list of people having this problem. Like those
                          > > before me, mine was running rock solid until just this past
                          > weekend
                          > > when first it got a bit spotty and now it's completely offline.
                          > All
                          > > fields read OFL. I've done the reset thing on the console, checked
                          > > the batteries in both the console and the sensor. Uninstalled and
                          > > reinstalled the software with a reboot in the middle. Updated the
                          > > software to the latest version as well. Uninstalled and
                          > reinstalled
                          > > COM1. I'm running direct connect serial with WS23XX. The really
                          > > odd thing I've noticed was in order to do some troubleshooting I
                          > > fired up HW2.0 and it logs perfectly to the currdat.lst file and
                          > > test.dat file and when I have WUHU read from the currdat.lst file
                          > it
                          > > works fine. So, that's saying something to me.... but I'm just
                          > not
                          > > thinking clear enough at the moment to understand it. Any
                          > thoughts?
                          > >

                          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka
                          > > <baluncru@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Well, mine went off line again. It looks like when ever the
                          > wind
                          > > speed
                          > > > goes to dashes is when WUHU goes offline.
                          > > >
                          > > > Bob T.
                          > > > CW9012

                          > use
                          > > but

                          > > Windoze XP
                          > > weeks ago now
                          > > Usually a
                          > restores
                          > > everything
                          > as
                          > > yet the

                          > > Grieshop"

                          > > post

                          > there's
                          > > no
                          > > tempting).

                          > > don't snicker
                          > > outta 'em.

                          > what
                          > > I read,

                          > > have a
                          > > running XP,
                          > > pattern to
                          > > HW shows
                          > > have
                          > nothing
                          > > changes.
                          > > find

                        • riko
                          Message 12 of 14 , Nov 13, 2008
                            I had the same issue with the same anemometer just a few weeks ago. Somehow it had become full of water. I pulled it apart, dried everything off really well, let it sit a day and it has worked fine since.

                            <mnj2@...> wrote:

> [...]
                            > speed
                            > > goes to dashes is when WUHU goes offline.
                            > >
                            > > Bob T.
                            > > CW9012
                            > >

                            > > Cletus Lutz wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Mine started this morning after a update it says com 1 is in
                            use
                            > but
                            > > > isn't. Haven't had time to figure it out yet.
                            > > >
                            > > > */alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@yahoo. com>/* wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > I think theres something going on with one of the recent
                            > Windoze XP
                            > > > "updates" as I was running rock solid until a couple of
                            > weeks ago now
                            > > > I'm experiencing loss of connection to the console errors.
                            > Usually a
                            > > > re-start & re-install of the USB to serial adapter
                            restores
                            > everything
                            > > > but what a PITA! I checked IOGear for updated drivers but

                          • Annie Grieshop
                            Message 13 of 14 , Nov 13, 2008
                              Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The current pattern is that
                              everything works fine... until I boot up the computer (along with
                              HeavyWeather). Within 20 minutes, data stops coming from the
                              transmitter. Turn it off, data is again transmitted within 30 minutes.

                              Now it's time to play with the pattern down to find out what's really
                              causing the problem!

                              More info when I have it. Unfortunately, I'll be out on the road,
                              working for the next couple days, so I won't be able to do any of this
                              'til I return.

                              Annie G.
                              www.allthingspiano.com
                              KIAMELBO2 (WS-2317)