Re: Portable Radar Doppler

  • Juha Jäntti
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
      Hi Eugen.

      Now that's what I call expensive and I believe it comes without
      software to work with.

      I think only large-scale meteorological organizations can afford such
      equipment and are probably the intended audience.

      It would be cool to have one of those, but $ 143k is not that I have
      in store right now (if ever...).

      Best Regards,
      Juha
      Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
      Helsinki, Finland
      CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Radu Eugen
      <eugenraduoradea@...> wrote:

      > Hello Dimitris, by the way, do you know how much is an E 600
      portable weather radar system ? 143.000 USD. And E 700 is 442.000 USD.
      Completely out of our reach.

      http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IBIHOROR9

      Doppler,i do

      > not know if there is portable Radar Doppler.
      >
      > Sorry for the off topic about software and weather stations .
      >

      > http://www.ewradar com/E600. html
      >

      > Best regards from Greece
      >
      > Dimitris
      >
      > http://www.geocitie s.com/meteo19671 967

    • Radu Eugen
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2008
        Hello Juha, thanks for your answer, I find the prices for those radars absolutely astronomical for an amateur meteo enthusiast. These pieces of weather equipment are designed mainly for institutions, airports or military facilities. I would really like to see one working but considering the actual global economical crisis for some time many of us will stick to what we already have. How is your Peet Bros working ? Are you satisfied with your investment ? Does it fullfill your expectations ? I am quite pleased with I have, mainly with the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor, it is one of the cheapest investments that I made but it is the best one. The La Crosse weather stations are OK only for those who want to have an idea how the weather is, otherwise... there is too much to talk about and not very pleasently. Best regards, Eugen

        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 13, 2008
          Hi, Eugen.

          To be honest, I was expecting those radars to cost much less, but
          that's outright off my price range. We'll just have to wait for
          someone to come up with an alternative.

          I think that even without current global economical situation the
          price would still be completely out of reach, so at least for my part,
          that's a no... a big no. :)

          Thanks for the question. My Peet Bros station is working without any
          problems of any kind. Running 24:7, the station has not experienced a
          single flaw. One that really made me happy was that the wind sensor
          didn't froze when temperature fell well below 0°C a few weeks back. I
          would say this has been absolutely the best investment I've made
          concerning weather equipment and has well exceeded all my
          expectations. Only real problem I had is the rain sensor not
          registering the same amount of rain as stations around me, but that's
          only an installation issue I'm having and not a faulty or clogged
          sensor unit. Wind has strong influence over how much rain counted in
          and for now, I'm forced to live with the current situation.

          The LaCrosse station/Inspeed Vortex wind sensor combination is by far
          the best possible investment for those seeking better wind speed
          resolution and accuracy with a friendly price tag.

          <eugenraduoradea@...> wrote:

          > Hello Juha, thanks for your answer, I find the prices for those
          radars absolutely astronomical for an amateur meteo enthusiast. These
          pieces of weather equipment are designed mainly for institutions,
          airports or military facilities. I would really like to see one
          working but considering the actual global economical crisis for some
          time many of us will stick to what we already have. How is your Peet
          Bros working ? Are you satisfied with your investment ? Does it
          fullfill your expectations ? I am quite pleased with I have, mainly
          with the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor, it is one of the cheapest
          investments that I made but it is the best one. The La Crosse weather
          stations are OK only for those who want to have an idea how the
          weather is, otherwise... there is too much to talk about and not very
          pleasently. Best regards, Eugen

        • techguy2000
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 14, 2008
            I haven't gone and looked at the radars that were being discussed,
            but doppler radar is a very complex piece of equipment. The radars in
            question are probably for organizations like the National Weather Service.

            For less expensive weather radars, look at marine radars. Those can
            be found in the $3000US range, but can cost quite a bit more depending
            on the features. The low end units won't be doppler and they won't
            have the range of one of the big weather radars but they don't cost
            hundreds of thousands of dollars, either.

            Cliff

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti <jjantti2@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi, Eugen.
            >
            > To be honest, I was expecting those radars to cost much less, but
            > that's outright off my price range. We'll just have to wait for
            > someone to come up with an alternative.
            >
            > I think that even without current global economical situation the
            > price would still be completely out of reach, so at least for my part,
            > that's a no... a big no. :)
            >
            > Thanks for the question. My Peet Bros station is working without any
            > problems of any kind. Running 24:7, the station has not experienced a
            > single flaw. One that really made me happy was that the wind sensor
            > didn't froze when temperature fell well below 0°C a few weeks back. I
            > would say this has been absolutely the best investment I've made
            > concerning weather equipment and has well exceeded all my
            > expectations. Only real problem I had is the rain sensor not
            > registering the same amount of rain as stations around me, but that's
            > only an installation issue I'm having and not a faulty or clogged
            > sensor unit. Wind has strong influence over how much rain counted in
            > and for now, I'm forced to live with the current situation.
            >
            > The LaCrosse station/Inspeed Vortex wind sensor combination is by far
            > the best possible investment for those seeking better wind speed
            > resolution and accuracy with a friendly price tag.
            >
            > Best Regards,
            > Juha
            > Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
            > Helsinki, Finland
            > CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Radu Eugen
            > <eugenraduoradea@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hello Juha, thanks for your answer, I find the prices for those
            > radars absolutely astronomical for an amateur meteo enthusiast. These
            > pieces of weather equipment are designed mainly for institutions,
            > airports or military facilities. I would really like to see one
            > working but considering the actual global economical crisis for some
            > time many of us will stick to what we already have. How is your Peet
            > Bros working ? Are you satisfied with your investment ? Does it
            > fullfill your expectations ? I am quite pleased with I have, mainly
            > with the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor, it is one of the cheapest
            > investments that I made but it is the best one. The La Crosse weather
            > stations are OK only for those who want to have an idea how the
            > weather is, otherwise... there is too much to talk about and not very
            > pleasently. Best regards, Eugen

          • Bob Bailey
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 14, 2008
              FYI Marine radar devices are not legal to use in the U.S on land for the purpose discussed. As an amatuer radio operator we had a problem in central U.S. with spotters installing marine radar on vehicals for tornado spotting and FCC forced them to remove them as they cuase interference with otner land stations.
              Bob WEØZ
              Kansas City

              wrote:

              > Hi, Eugen.
              >
              > To be honest, I was expecting those radars to cost much less, but
              > that's outright off my price range.
              We'll just have to wait for
              > someone to come up with an alternative.
              >
              > I think that even without current global economical situation the
              > price would still be completely out of reach, so at least for my part,
              > that's a no... a big no. :)
              >
              > Thanks for the question. My Peet Bros station is working without any
              > problems of any kind. Running 24:7, the station has not experienced a
              > single flaw. One that really made me happy was that the wind sensor
              > didn't froze when temperature fell well below 0°C a few weeks back. I
              > would say this has been absolutely the best investment I've made
              > concerning weather equipment and has well exceeded all my
              > expectations. Only real problem I had is the rain sensor not
              > registering the same amount of rain as stations around me, but that's
              > only an installation issue I'm having and not a faulty or clogged
              > sensor
              unit. Wind has strong influence over how much rain counted in
              > and for now, I'm forced to live with the current situation.
              >
              > The LaCrosse station/Inspeed Vortex wind sensor combination is by far
              > the best possible investment for those seeking better wind speed
              > resolution and accuracy with a friendly price tag.
              >
              > Best Regards,
              > Juha
              > Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
              > Helsinki, Finland
              > CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Radu Eugen
              > <eugenraduoradea@ > wrote:
              > >
              > > Hello Juha, thanks for your answer, I find the prices for those
              > radars absolutely astronomical for an amateur meteo enthusiast. These
              > pieces of weather equipment are
              designed mainly for institutions,
              > airports or military facilities. I would really like to see one
              > working but considering the actual global economical crisis for some
              > time many of us will stick to what we already have. How is your Peet
              > Bros working ? Are you satisfied with your investment ? Does it
              > fullfill your expectations ? I am quite pleased with I have, mainly
              > with the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor, it is one of the cheapest
              > investments that I made but it is the best one. The La Crosse weather
              > stations are OK only for those who want to have an idea how the
              > weather is, otherwise... there is too much to talk about and not very
              > pleasently. Best regards, Eugen

              ever...).

              > > Best Regards,
              > >
              > > Juha
              > >
              > > Finland Weather Exchange (FinWX)
              > >
              > > Helsinki, Finland
              > >
              > > CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Radu Eugen
              > >
              > > <eugenraduoradea@ ...> wrote:
              > >

              > > > Hello Dimitris, by the way, do you know how much is an E 600
              > >
              > > portable weather radar system ? 143.000 USD. And E 700 is 442.000 USD.
              > >
              > > Completely out of our reach.
              > >
              > > > It's way too expensive. I wonder who would pay so much money for a
              > >
              > > weather tool ?
              > >
              > > > And when I say who, I mean, one of
              us meteo enthusiasts.

              > > > Best regards from Romania, Eugen
              > >

              > > http://www.wundergr ound.com/ weatherstation/ WXDailyHistory.
              > asp?ID=IBIHOROR9

            • kc0uu
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 14, 2008
                Bob,
                Are you aware of any home-built weather radar setups? Decades ago, I
                saw one built using a rotating Gunnplexer and mis-mash of A-D and 8080
                computer, etc.

                The licensed frequencies available for amateur use suitable for wx
                radar, and anyone can use part 15 devices in the USA.

                Any operational units out there?

                John , KC0UU

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Bailey <ka0mr@...> wrote:

                > FYI Marine radar devices are not legal to use in the U.S on land for
                the purpose discussed. As an amatuer radio operator we had a problem
                in central U.S. with spotters installing marine radar on vehicals for
                tornado spotting and FCC forced them to remove them as they cuase
                interference with otner land stations.
                > Bob WEØZ
                > Kansas City

              • Bob Bailey
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 14, 2008
                  No I don't however I have numerous ( maybe 8) 24Ghz Gunnplexers here that I took out of service from the Sante Fe RR we used in the hump yard to detect speed of cars to operate slowdown brakes that could possibly be used. I never thought of trying that. Anyone else?
                  I offered the FYI to prevent someone from inadvertantly getting thierselves into trouble as the FCC took a dim view of the hams putting the marine radar on thier chase vehicles. It can be done but since they are licensed devices you just can't install one you must follow stringent protocol.
                  Bob WEØZ
                  Kansas City

                  Are you aware of any home-built weather radar setups? Decades ago, I
                  saw one built using a rotating Gunnplexer and mis-mash of A-D and 8080
                  computer, etc.

                  The licensed frequencies available for amateur use suitable for wx
                  radar, and anyone can use part 15 devices in the USA.

                  Any operational units out there?

                  John , KC0UU

                  --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Bob Bailey <ka0mr@...> wrote:

                  > FYI Marine radar devices are not legal to use in the U.S on land for
                  the purpose discussed. As an amatuer radio operator we had a problem
                  in central U.S. with spotters installing marine radar on vehicals for
                  tornado spotting and FCC forced them to remove them as they cuase
                  interference with otner land stations.
                  > Bob WE&#216;Z
                  > Kansas City

                • kc0uu
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 14, 2008
                    I did a quick google search and found these references:

                    How to build your own radar system:
                    http://events.ccc.de/congress/2005/fahrplan/events/543.en.html

                    Building Your Own Amateur Radar:
                    http://www.hamhud.net/darts/rdr_comp.htm