Re: Replacement for Heavyweather.

  • David Higgins
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 1 5:34 PM
      I have very limited programming skills (I can program in MS VB) but
      would like to assist anyway I can. I am most interested in accurate
      and timely wind gust information whether it be graphical or not but
      a line chart is perhaps the most useful for me - one line for
      average and one line for gust (or any other means of indicating a
      trend)

      Cheers

      David Higgins
      E14
      Canberra, Australia
      http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj

      <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > I am interested in writing a replacement for Heavyweather for the
      > Windows platform. The current heavyweather software writes to the
      > currdat.lst file only once per minute, even though the data is
      > collected every 8 seconds in wired mode. This can result in a loss
      of
      > wind gust data.
      >
      > I had submitted a request to the authors of Heavyweather asking
      them
      > to write the currdat.lst file whenever the weather data changes
      > rather than once per minute although I do not have much confidence
      > that they will do so.
      >
      > The other day I experienced a severe storm with high winds. I
      would
      > estimate that the wind speed was at least 60 mph at it's peak. The
      > unit was only able to capture speeds at 25 and 22 mph over a 10
      > minute period. If the station were updating at 8 seconds, I would
      > have probably accurately captured the peak windspeed.
      >
      > Since the Heavyweather application cannot accurately capture
      rapidly
      > changing wind speeds, I would like to write a replacement for the
      > Heavyweather application.
      >
      > Although I could use open2300 to extract data from the unit, the
      > consequence would be a loss of the graphical user interface with
      > gauges and controls.
      >
      > The other possibility is to just display the weather data in a
      plain
      > jane text form on WUHU. This would not be as pretty as
      Heavyweather

      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 2 6:16 AM
        David,

        Unfortunately WUHU is currently only able to collect the weather data
        from the station via HeavyWeather output. The Heavyweather
        application is currently writing the currdat.lst file once per minute
        (even in wired mode that updates the Heavyweather display every 9
        seconds). It may update the data on the screen, but that
        is not available to us. This is a horrible limitation to have,
        especially when we are interested in events of a very short duration
        like wind gust data.

        As an example I experienced a severe storm last month. The winds were
        calm prior to a wind gust that came through the area. I would
        estimate the winds were at least 50-60 mph. Many large trees in the
        area fell, including a large one that narrowly missed my home. When I
        checked the recorded weather gust data, the highest wind that I was
        able to catch was 25 mph. Very disappointing.

        For this reason I posted a message about writing a replacement for
        Heavyweather. Ideally, it would be able to read the weather data
        every 9 seconds or so (as Heavyweather does), and also output this
        data to currdat.lst. It would also be desireable to have a nice user
        interface with gauges, graphs, and so on.

        The only road block I see with writing a replacement is the support
        for the 36xx series. The 23xx series protocol has been successfully
        decoded and the source code is available in C from the open2300
        source code project (see links).

        The alternative to re-writing Heavyweather is to contact LaCrosse and
        ask them for a couple of updates.

        1) Faster update rates for currdat.lst. As mentioned, Heavyweather is
        writing this file only once per minute. I have already requested this
        modification myself.

        2) Better error checking on the weather data. The data sent to
        currdat.lst may or not be checked for errors. My guess is that it is
        not checked.

        I am a bit leery of waiting for LaCrosse to modify their application.
        If the weather enthusiasts are not complaining, there is little
        motivation to do so.

        Thoughts?

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "David Higgins"

      • David Higgins
        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 2 7:02 AM
          As I said, my skills are limited and C/C++ is not a strength.

          What history does LaCrosse have for making mods at users request? If they
          don't do it as a matter of course then waiting for them is likely to be a
          waste of time (I use a Meade LX200GPS scope in my observatory and the
          company does listen to users and makes changes to the scopes
          software/firmware on a regular basis)

          Writing the file once a minute isn't really the problem is it? It's the
          Maximum Gust speed that seems to have been ignored (unless the gust occurred
          inside that 9 second update time) or was it rejected as eronious data?

          <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
          > I have very limited programming skills (I can program in MS VB) but
          > would like to assist anyway I can. I am most interested in
          accurate
          > and timely wind gust information whether it be graphical or not but
          > a line chart is perhaps the most useful for me - one line for
          > average and one line for gust (or any other means of indicating a
          > trend)
          >
          > Cheers
          >
          > David Higgins
          > E14
          > Canberra, Australia
          > http://users.bigpond.com/higginsdj

          > <wuhu_software@y...> wrote:
          > >
          > > All,
          > >
          > > I am interested in writing a replacement for Heavyweather for the
          > > Windows platform. The current heavyweather software writes to the
          > > currdat.lst file only once per minute, even though the data is
          > > collected every 8 seconds in wired mode. This can result in a
          loss
          > of
          > > wind gust data.
          > >
          > > I had submitted a request to the authors of Heavyweather asking
          > them
          > > to write the currdat.lst file whenever the weather data changes
          > > rather than once per minute although I do not have much
          confidence
          > > that they will do so.
          > >
          > > The other day I experienced a severe storm with high winds. I
          > would
          > > estimate that the wind speed was at least 60 mph at it's peak.
          The
          > > unit was only able to capture speeds at 25 and 22 mph over a 10
          > > minute period. If the station were updating at 8 seconds, I would
          > > have probably accurately captured the peak windspeed.
          > >
          > > Since the Heavyweather application cannot accurately capture
          > rapidly
          > > changing wind speeds, I would like to write a replacement for the
          > > Heavyweather application.
          > >
          > > Although I could use open2300 to extract data from the unit, the
          > > consequence would be a loss of the graphical user interface with
          > > gauges and controls.
          > >
          > > The other possibility is to just display the weather data in a
          > plain
          > > jane text form on WUHU. This would not be as pretty as
          > Heavyweather
          > > but it would get the job done.
          > >
          > > If anyone has some programming experience and would like to help
          > me
          > > writing a replacement for Heavyweather, let me know.
          > >
          > > Thanks.

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 2 10:08 AM
            As far as I know, they are not really responsive to requests for
            updates / bugs. I am not sure what the history is since I began using
            their products in January.

            The problem with the gust data is that they are not saving the peak
            gust speed every 9 seconds, then writing that to the currdat.lst.

            I suspect they take the last update that occurs when the 5 minute
            period expires, then writing that data to currdat.lst.

            This is not desirable as all of the real gust data is lost.

            <higginsdj@b...> wrote:
            > As I said, my skills are limited and C/C++ is not a strength.
            >
            > What history does LaCrosse have for making mods at users request?
            If they
            > don't do it as a matter of course then waiting for them is likely
            to be a
            > waste of time (I use a Meade LX200GPS scope in my observatory and
            the
            > company does listen to users and makes changes to the scopes
            > software/firmware on a regular basis)
            >
            > Writing the file once a minute isn't really the problem is it?
            It's the
            > Maximum Gust speed that seems to have been ignored (unless the gust
            occurred
            > inside that 9 second update time) or was it rejected as eronious
            data?

            > Cheers
            >
            > David

            1/08/2005
          • Scott Thorne
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 2 7:33 PM
              see below

              <higginsdj@b...> wrote:

              > As I said, my skills are limited and C/C++ is not a strength.
              [snip]

              > Writing the file once a minute isn't really the problem is it?
              [snip]

              Some ideas for consideration.

              Openess, multiplatform support good.

              Closed software and software developed for one platform ... bad, that
              is part of the existing problem.

              Reliance on HeavyWeather, developing MS VB code, etc. thus have
              disadvantages. Using Java instead of VB for a top layer would be
              better, but WUHU already does that. Use VB for bottom layer? That's
              really not good.

              The existing Open 2300 stuff (http://open2300.sourceforge.net/) is
              multiplatform and being developed in an open environment, and if I
              understand the literature there, reads directly from the base station
              (read: not dependent on La Crosse HeavyWx sw). That seems like one
              good option for a good base to build on. Is this off topic for this
              forum?

              WUHU seems to be great product, given its dependence on the HeavyWx
              base. But we could do better. I'd say discussing pros and cons of
              alternatives to WUHU is on topic.

              A software better model might be ... Read directly from hardware with
              well designed open software designed for the task (something like Open
              2300, but wouldn't have to be that) to act as a software foundation
              (base). Build modular cross platform components that use and build
              upon that base. Java would be good for the applications. There are
              various existing products out there that could be easily utilized as
              components (reused) for the application(s). For example, various
              graphing products exist that could be adapted, elminating need to
              develop that functionality.

              Openess facilitates troubleshooting and feature changes. Modularity
              makes codes reuse easier. Choosing both openess and modularity should
              maximize the number of possible developers. It certainly would draw
              much interest of analysts, developers, users, and software
              distributions (Fedora, etc.).

              You know, if any of these Wx station HW companies (not just La Crosse)
              were to be completely open with their interface specs and were to
              actively cooperate with and support an open software development
              effort, it seems their products would soon emerge as frontrunners in
              product popularity (read "competative advantage"). They could protect
              their hardware IP while supporting open software development. Win-win
              for all. Company gains recognition and brand awarenes for their
              support for open software development. Company builds market share
              and profits. Users benefit from much better software and ability to
              enhance it.

              We wouldn't be complaining about about our inability to overcome 1
              minute data increments. We'd already have implemented the fix ourselves.
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 3 7:10 AM
                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Scott Thorne"
                <thornesa@n...> wrote:

                See comments below...

> [...]
                >
                > You know, if any of these Wx station HW companies (not just La
                Crosse)
                > were to be completely open with their interface specs and were to
                > actively cooperate with and support an open software development
                > effort, it seems their products would soon emerge as frontrunners in
                > product popularity (read "competative advantage"). They could
                protect
                > their hardware IP while supporting open software development. Win-
                win
                > for all. Company gains recognition and brand awarenes for their
                > support for open software development. Company builds market share
                > and profits. Users benefit from much better software and ability to
                > enhance it.
                >
                > We wouldn't be complaining about about our inability to overcome 1
                > minute data increments. We'd already have implemented the fix

                Scott,

                Creating an application that can collect data from any weather
                station and run on any platform would definitely be desirable. In the
                case of the WS2300, I think reading directly from the interface would
                be very desirable. The data would definitely be more interesting in
                rapidly changing conditions.

                There are two problems I see with directly interfacing. The first is
                that interface is not completely known. What has been learned about
                the WS2300 was done so with great effort by one person reverse
                engineering the protocol. According to posts in the open2300 forum,
                there are still large holes in the understanding of the memory maps.

                Given that we accept the current limitations in our understanding of
                the WS23xx models, and we chose to implement the direct interface
                only, this would leave other Lacrosse users out of the picture
                (WS36xx) for instance. LaCrosse has not released any information
                about the interface and from what I gather from the open2300 forum,
                it is not a simple TX/RX serial protocol.

                As you mentioned, LaCrosse including other manufacturers are not
                opening their hardware interfaces to the public. This being the case,
                whatever solution is chosen, the framework should be able to support
                these units as well.

                Most 'professional' stations have some method for archiving the
                weather data. A weather station without this capability is pretty
                much useless in the context of what we are interested in. Therefore
                we can usually find some way to extract the data from the stations.
                In the case where the collection capabilities are limited (1 minute
                updates) I am afraid the only option we have is to appeal to the
                manufacturer to update their code.

                I agree that it would definitely be advantageous for the
                manufacturers to support an open software development community. For
                the life of me, I do not understand why these and other manufacturers
                to not get this concept. In a different market, home automation, the
                case is the same. I am sure that one day it will become obvious to
                them, but until that time, we will have to find alternatives.

                Excluding the programming languages or operating systems, there are a
                few basic features that should be supported:

                1) Modular data collection. The method of data collection should be
                isolated so that the rest of the framework is insulated from changing
                hardware/software implementations. This would allow for direct and
                indirect interfacing to the stations. New protocols and
                implementations can easily be added with minimal effort.

                All types of sensors should be supported including multiple
                temperature/humidity sensors, soil sensors, luminosity, and even
                maybe other weather related sensors such as lightening detectors,
                wind sheer dectors, cloud cover detection. Multiple devices from
                multiple vendors should be easy added.

                2)Flexible data exporting. Regardless of how the data is collected,
                there should be any number of options (including user written) for
                exporting data. Weather stations could be used for many different
                systems from agriculture to HVAC to safety systems. The software
                should be able to facilitate any system that might use weather
                related data.

                3) Upload capability via Internet or HAM radio. Support for Weather
                Underground, CWOP, and yet to be developed websites.

                4) Weather data presentation.

                a) Remote presentation via the web: When the data can be uploaded,
                the presentation of the data could be done via the web. The
                presentation may be at a central weather station website (like WU) or
                personal WebPages. More on this in a minute.

                b)Local presentation. Pretty graphs, charts, gauges, ect. For users
                without an Internet connection.

                I suppose on item #4 I am a bit undecided. While it would be nice to
                have a pretty local user interface with lots of features, I think
                that the same can be accomplished by creating a website. I noticed
                the more I use Weather Underground, the less I looked at the
                Heavyweather interface. If a method could be devised to support both
                (maybe local web server), then all the better.

                One more point I think is worth considering is that a centralized web
                data collection center could have some interesting features that are
                not available at the current websites. While data is collected and
                displayed, graphed, there is not much else going on. We can discuss
                that topic at a later time.

                Ideas, thoughts?