Re: Unable to open specified communications port.

    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
      USB to serial adapters are for the most part unreliable due to either
      bad hardware design or more likely, bad Windows drivers that they have
      created for the operating system.

      You can check with the manufacturer to see if they have updated their
      driver.

      The other option is to purchase one that is known to work well.

      See:

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "eddie" <djx_master@...>
      wrote:

      > So then how do I fix it?

    • eddie
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
        I have that same thing , as recommended by wuhu
        I went through all the ports and updated the drivers

        Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:43 AM
        Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Unable to open specified communications port.

        http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ wuhu_software_ group/message/ 11105

        wrote:

        > So then how do I
        fix it?

        October 31, 2008 6:13 PM
        > To:
        href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com

        Subject: [wuhu_software_ group] Re: Unable to open specified
        communications port.

        href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Eddie" djx_master@
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > this is the message
        I get when starting WUHU. and in the same
        message
        > > it says make
        sure this port exists in the system and is not being
        used
        > > by
        another application like Heavyweather.
        > > I don't even have HW
        installed.
        > > This error seems to happen every now and again, and I
        was somehow
        able
        > > to fix it. Seems I am having a brain
        fart.
        > > I normally have it connecting to COM8, not sure why that one
        out of
        > > the 30 to select from but it works. I went through the USB
        posrts in
        > > the device manager to make sure all were enabled and no
        problems
        exist.
        > > I think maybe someone told me of a simple fix
        for this but I just
        > > can't remember it.
        > > Also, in the
        past month I had to reformat my computer because of
        some

        Microsoft update corrupting my OS. Since then, my computer seems to
        be
        > > happy communicating with my Lacrosse 2315 via USB, whereas
        before
        the
        > > reformat, my PC usually froze after a while.
        > > Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there and hope to gain
        > > some feedback on my communication errors...
        > > THANKS
        WUHU!

      • eddie
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 2, 2008
          Sorry all.. seems the adapter was just barely unplugged. It is working now. My bad...

          Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:43 AM

          wrote:

          > So then how do I
          fix it?

          October 31, 2008 6:13 PM
          > To:
          href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com

          communications port.

          > My guess is a
          faulty driver that handles the USB to serial adapter.

          > --- In
          href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "Eddie" djx_master@
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > this is the message
          I get when starting WUHU. and in the same
          message
          > > it says make
          sure this port exists in the system and is not being
          used
          > > by
          another application like Heavyweather.
          > > I don't even have HW
          installed.
          > > This error seems to happen every now and again, and I
          was somehow
          able
          > > to fix it. Seems I am having a brain
          fart.
          > > I normally have it connecting to COM8, not sure why that one
          out of
          > > the 30 to select from but it works. I went through the USB
          posrts in
          > > the device manager to make sure all were enabled and no
          problems
          exist.
          > > I think maybe someone told me of a simple fix
          for this but I just
          > > can't remember it.
          > > Also, in the
          past month I had to reformat my computer because of
          some

          Microsoft update corrupting my OS. Since then, my computer seems to
          be
          > > happy communicating with my Lacrosse 2315 via USB, whereas
          before
          the
          > > reformat, my PC usually froze after a while.
          > > Anyway, just thought I would throw that out there and hope to gain
          > > some feedback on my communication errors...
          > > THANKS
          WUHU!