Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Peet Weather Sensor Mounting

  • Bob Tyszka
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      Or yo can contact your local NWS office and see if they have any old
      shelters available. I was able to one free from the NWS. They replaced
      the old shelters with modern equipment and no longer needed the
      shelters. A little scraping and paint and a set of legs and it will be
      good to go.

      Bob Tyszka
      KCACALIF05

      wuhu_software wrote:

      > John,
      >
      > Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
      > shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
      > prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.
      >
      > In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.
      >
      > Here the guide:
      >
      > http://home. comcast.net/ ~dshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
      > <http://home.comcast.net/%7Edshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf>
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
      > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I have a peet weather system. I plan to mount both the temp/humidity
      > with solar shield and
      > > the pro rain sensors on a 6 foot fence post. Anyone have any
      > suggestions with mounting
      > > ideas or photos?
      > >
      > > Thanks

    • riko
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
        Wow that's a great idea. On the same vein, does anybody know if the NWS ever sells off old equipment? I sent out an email asking my local station if they did, but I wanted to see if anybody here had any experience with it.

        wuhu_software wrote:

        > John,
        >
        > Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
        > shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
        > prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.
        >
        > In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.
        >
        > Here the guide:
        >
        > http://home. comcast.net/ ~dshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
        > <http://home. comcast.net/ %7Edshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf>
        >
        > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
        > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%40yahoogro ups.com>, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have a peet weather system. I plan to mount both the temp/humidity
        > with solar shield and
        > > the pro rain sensors on a 6 foot fence post. Anyone have any
        > suggestions with mounting
        > > ideas or photos?
        > >
        > > Thanks

      • Bob Tyszka
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
          The NWS does not sell old equipment. Any U.S. government office
          that has old or surplus equipment turns it in to the General Services
          Administration (GSA). GSA offers it to other government agencies, if no
          one wants it it goes up for auction. Check out www.gsa.gov/auctions or
          www.firstgov.gov.

          Bob Tyszka
          CW9012

          riko wrote:

          > Wow that's a great idea. On the same vein, does anybody know if the
          > NWS ever sells off old equipment? I sent out an email asking my local
          > station if they did, but I wanted to see if anybody here had any
          > experience with it.
          >

          > Bob Tyszka wrote:
          >
          >> Or yo can contact your local NWS office and see if they have any old
          >> shelters available. I was able to one free from the NWS. They replaced
          >> the old shelters with modern equipment and no longer needed the
          >> shelters. A little scraping and paint and a set of legs and it will be
          >> good to go.
          >>
          >> Bob Tyszka
          >> KCACALIF05
          >>
          >> wuhu_software wrote:
          >> >

          >> > John,
          >> >
          >> > Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
          >> > shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
          >> > prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.
          >> >
          >> > In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.
          >> >
          >> > Here the guide:
          >> >
          >> > http://home. comcast.net/ ~dshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
          >> > <http://home. comcast.net/ %7Edshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
          >> <http://home.comcast.net/%7Edshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf>>
          >> >
          >> > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
          >> > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%40yahoogro ups.com>, "John"

          >> > with solar shield and
          >> > suggestions with mounting

        • Radu Eugen
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
            Hello Bob, if you want to build a temperature radiation shield, let's say a stevenson screen, you can go to Dimitris site from Greece, http://www.geocities.com/meteoperisteri/Klovos.html.
            I have built one myself, not exactly like that but very similar and it does it's job perfectly and it was no more than 25 USD, all you need are some ventilation panels, 4, and a larger piece for the roof and some a plastic net wire underneath, that's all. Good luck if you decide to do this. Greetings from Romania, Eugen, Oradea
            http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IBIHOROR9