Re: Peet Weather Sensor Mounting

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
      John,

      Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
      shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
      prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.

      In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.

      Here the guide:

      http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

      > I have a peet weather system. I plan to mount both the temp/humidity
      with solar shield and
      > the pro rain sensors on a 6 foot fence post. Anyone have any
      suggestions with mounting
      > ideas or photos?
      >
      > Thanks

    • Bob Tyszka
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        Or yo can contact your local NWS office and see if they have any old
        shelters available. I was able to one free from the NWS. They replaced
        the old shelters with modern equipment and no longer needed the
        shelters. A little scraping and paint and a set of legs and it will be
        good to go.

        Bob Tyszka
        KCACALIF05

        wuhu_software wrote:

        > John,
        >
        > Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
        > shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
        > prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.
        >
        > In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.
        >
        > Here the guide:
        >
        > http://home. comcast.net/ ~dshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
        > <http://home.comcast.net/%7Edshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf>
        >
        > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
        > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I have a peet weather system. I plan to mount both the temp/humidity
        > with solar shield and
        > > the pro rain sensors on a 6 foot fence post. Anyone have any
        > suggestions with mounting
        > > ideas or photos?
        > >
        > > Thanks

      • riko
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
          Wow that's a great idea. On the same vein, does anybody know if the NWS ever sells off old equipment? I sent out an email asking my local station if they did, but I wanted to see if anybody here had any experience with it.

          wuhu_software wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
          > shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
          > prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.
          >
          > In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.
          >
          > Here the guide:
          >
          > http://home. comcast.net/ ~dshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
          > <http://home. comcast.net/ %7Edshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf>
          >
          > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
          > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%40yahoogro ups.com>, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a peet weather system. I plan to mount both the temp/humidity
          > with solar shield and
          > > the pro rain sensors on a 6 foot fence post. Anyone have any
          > suggestions with mounting
          > > ideas or photos?
          > >
          > > Thanks

        • Bob Tyszka
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
            The NWS does not sell old equipment. Any U.S. government office
            that has old or surplus equipment turns it in to the General Services
            Administration (GSA). GSA offers it to other government agencies, if no
            one wants it it goes up for auction. Check out www.gsa.gov/auctions or
            www.firstgov.gov.

            Bob Tyszka
            CW9012

            riko wrote:

            > Wow that's a great idea. On the same vein, does anybody know if the
            > NWS ever sells off old equipment? I sent out an email asking my local
            > station if they did, but I wanted to see if anybody here had any
            > experience with it.
            >

            > Bob Tyszka wrote:
            >
            >> Or yo can contact your local NWS office and see if they have any old
            >> shelters available. I was able to one free from the NWS. They replaced
            >> the old shelters with modern equipment and no longer needed the
            >> shelters. A little scraping and paint and a set of legs and it will be
            >> good to go.
            >>
            >> Bob Tyszka
            >> KCACALIF05
            >>
            >> wuhu_software wrote:
            >> >

            >> > John,
            >> >
            >> > Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
            >> > shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
            >> > prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.
            >> >
            >> > In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.
            >> >
            >> > Here the guide:
            >> >
            >> > http://home. comcast.net/ ~dshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
            >> > <http://home. comcast.net/ %7Edshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
            >> <http://home.comcast.net/%7Edshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf>>
            >> >
            >> > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
            >> > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%40yahoogro ups.com>, "John"

            >> > with solar shield and
            >> > suggestions with mounting

          • Radu Eugen
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
              Hello Bob, if you want to build a temperature radiation shield, let's say a stevenson screen, you can go to Dimitris site from Greece, http://www.geocities.com/meteoperisteri/Klovos.html.
              I have built one myself, not exactly like that but very similar and it does it's job perfectly and it was no more than 25 USD, all you need are some ventilation panels, 4, and a larger piece for the roof and some a plastic net wire underneath, that's all. Good luck if you decide to do this. Greetings from Romania, Eugen, Oradea
              http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IBIHOROR9