Peet Weather Sensor Mounting

  • John
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 31, 2008
      I have a peet weather system. I plan to mount both the temp/humidity with solar shield and
      the pro rain sensors on a 6 foot fence post. Anyone have any suggestions with mounting
      ideas or photos?

      Thanks
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
        John,

        Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
        shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
        prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.

        In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.

        Here the guide:

        http://home.comcast.net/~dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:

        > I have a peet weather system. I plan to mount both the temp/humidity
        with solar shield and
        > the pro rain sensors on a 6 foot fence post. Anyone have any
        suggestions with mounting
        > ideas or photos?
        >
        > Thanks

      • Bob Tyszka
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 1, 2008
          Or yo can contact your local NWS office and see if they have any old
          shelters available. I was able to one free from the NWS. They replaced
          the old shelters with modern equipment and no longer needed the
          shelters. A little scraping and paint and a set of legs and it will be
          good to go.

          Bob Tyszka
          KCACALIF05

          wuhu_software wrote:

          > John,
          >
          > Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
          > shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
          > prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.
          >
          > In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.
          >
          > Here the guide:
          >
          > http://home. comcast.net/ ~dshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
          > <http://home.comcast.net/%7Edshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf>
          >
          > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
          > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have a peet weather system. I plan to mount both the temp/humidity
          > with solar shield and
          > > the pro rain sensors on a 6 foot fence post. Anyone have any
          > suggestions with mounting
          > > ideas or photos?
          > >
          > > Thanks

        • riko
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
            Wow that's a great idea. On the same vein, does anybody know if the NWS ever sells off old equipment? I sent out an email asking my local station if they did, but I wanted to see if anybody here had any experience with it.

            wuhu_software wrote:

            > John,
            >
            > Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
            > shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
            > prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.
            >
            > In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.
            >
            > Here the guide:
            >
            > http://home. comcast.net/ ~dshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
            > <http://home. comcast.net/ %7Edshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf>
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
            > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%40yahoogro ups.com>, "John" <n0meq@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have a peet weather system. I plan to mount both the temp/humidity
            > with solar shield and
            > > the pro rain sensors on a 6 foot fence post. Anyone have any
            > suggestions with mounting
            > > ideas or photos?
            > >
            > > Thanks

          • Bob Tyszka
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 2, 2008
              The NWS does not sell old equipment. Any U.S. government office
              that has old or surplus equipment turns it in to the General Services
              Administration (GSA). GSA offers it to other government agencies, if no
              one wants it it goes up for auction. Check out www.gsa.gov/auctions or
              www.firstgov.gov.

              Bob Tyszka
              CW9012

              riko wrote:

              > Wow that's a great idea. On the same vein, does anybody know if the
              > NWS ever sells off old equipment? I sent out an email asking my local
              > station if they did, but I wanted to see if anybody here had any
              > experience with it.
              >

              > Bob Tyszka wrote:
              >
              >> Or yo can contact your local NWS office and see if they have any old
              >> shelters available. I was able to one free from the NWS. They replaced
              >> the old shelters with modern equipment and no longer needed the
              >> shelters. A little scraping and paint and a set of legs and it will be
              >> good to go.
              >>
              >> Bob Tyszka
              >> KCACALIF05
              >>
              >> wuhu_software wrote:
              >> >

              >> > John,
              >> >
              >> > Ideally put your temperature sensor in a shelter called a "radiation
              >> > shield". You can buy one or build one yourself. Some add a small fan to
              >> > prevent artificially high readings caused from direct sunlight.
              >> >
              >> > In general, try to follow the CWOP standard for mounting your sensors.
              >> >
              >> > Here the guide:
              >> >
              >> > http://home. comcast.net/ ~dshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
              >> > <http://home. comcast.net/ %7Edshelms/ CWOP_Guide. pdf
              >> <http://home.comcast.net/%7Edshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf>>
              >> >
              >> > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
              >> > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%40yahoogro ups.com>, "John"

              >> > with solar shield and
              >> > suggestions with mounting

            • Radu Eugen
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 3, 2008
                Hello Bob, if you want to build a temperature radiation shield, let's say a stevenson screen, you can go to Dimitris site from Greece, http://www.geocities.com/meteoperisteri/Klovos.html.
                I have built one myself, not exactly like that but very similar and it does it's job perfectly and it was no more than 25 USD, all you need are some ventilation panels, 4, and a larger piece for the roof and some a plastic net wire underneath, that's all. Good luck if you decide to do this. Greetings from Romania, Eugen, Oradea
                http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=IBIHOROR9