Re: Will WUHU work unattended with dial-up?

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 6, 2008
      Since you plan to only upload to WU, be sure to un-check the other
      servers so they are not triggering a dial-up as well.

      You would probably set it up for an hourly upload and a quick
      disconnect time in Windows dialing.

      I will be around this weekend if you have troubles.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "kf9993" <kf9993@...> wrote:

      > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
      > >

      > > I think it is a matter of setting up Windows dialing to disconnect
      > > after an idle period.
      > >
      > > If you turn off rapid fire, and set a long 'Minimum upload interval'
      > > (time in seconds), it should send it the data to the servers then stop
      > > sending, at that point Windows dialer will hang up after the idle
      > period.
      > >
      > > It might get tricky if you do CWOP uploads, you would have to tweak a
      > > setting in the INI to extend the upload period to some other time
      frame.

      > > Are you planning on just uploading to one of the servers?
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "kf9993" <kfrasershop@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I would like to use WUHU to upload weather data from my cabin in the
      > > > mountains. It is in a remote location where only dial-up is
      available.
      > > > I am not there most of the time, so it needs to run reliably
      > > > unattended, automatically dialing up when it uploads, and hang up
      > > > after it is finished. Is this something WUHU can do? I couldn't find
      > > > any information in the user guide that explains exactly what WUHU
      > > > does, so I am not sure. I'd just give a try, but I don't have my
      > > > weather station here at home.
      > > >
      > > > Currently, at the cabin I am running a program I wrote myself to
      > > > update my personal website with my weather data and web cam photo. I
      > > > have limited free dial-up time, so I only upload the information
      once
      > > > an hour during the day. I'd also like to upload the data to Weather
      > > > Underground to take advantage of its history and graph features.
      So, I
      > > > am thinking that every hour I'd alternate between updating my
      website
      > > > and Weather Underground. Can I schedule WUHU to only run during
      > > > certain hours, like 9am to 6pm?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for your help.
      > > >
      > > > Karen
      > > >

      > I was only planning on uploading to Weather Underground because of the
      > limited dial-up time I have. I'll give it a try this weekend when I am
      > up at my cabin. Thanks!

    • Joe Torsitano
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
        If you're only going to choose one service, make sure you evaluate all of them.  PWSweather.com and CWOP have advantages.  PWSweather.com gives you the graphs and archives you're looking for plus gets your data on weatherforyou.com and anythingweather.com.  CWOP data is displayed through findu.com plus is distributed to the NOAA which further shares the data across a number of services.

        --
         Joe Torsitano