Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Will WUHU work unattended with dial-up?

  • John Liss
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
      Karen,
      I am curious how far the cabin is from your house? Does the house have DSL?

      The reason I ask, is a buddy of mine works for the national forest service and
      they have used just Regular Linksys 54G's with special antennas to get the
      signal down off the mountain for various network links to the gear they have
      stashed up there. (Weather stations, Seismic etc...)
      If memory serves right they used Yagi antennas:

      For sending
      http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/11eleyagi.php
      For receiving:
      http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/stage1.php

      They did load the DD-WRT firmware on them so they could boost the signal output
      to 15dbs.

      One leg of the hop is 12 miles. Of course this is direct line of site from
      a peak to a repeater station, that then relays again through another pair of
      linksys's.

      -John

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 6, 2008
        As the crow flies, my cabin is at least 30 miles away from my home.
        Nice idea, though.

        Thanks,
        Karen

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 6, 2008
          Since you plan to only upload to WU, be sure to un-check the other
          servers so they are not triggering a dial-up as well.

          You would probably set it up for an hourly upload and a quick
          disconnect time in Windows dialing.

          I will be around this weekend if you have troubles.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "kf9993" <kf9993@...> wrote:

          > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
          > >

          > > I think it is a matter of setting up Windows dialing to disconnect
          > > after an idle period.
          > >
          > > If you turn off rapid fire, and set a long 'Minimum upload interval'
          > > (time in seconds), it should send it the data to the servers then stop
          > > sending, at that point Windows dialer will hang up after the idle
          > period.
          > >
          > > It might get tricky if you do CWOP uploads, you would have to tweak a
          > > setting in the INI to extend the upload period to some other time
          frame.

          > > Are you planning on just uploading to one of the servers?
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "kf9993" <kfrasershop@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I would like to use WUHU to upload weather data from my cabin in the
          > > > mountains. It is in a remote location where only dial-up is
          available.
          > > > I am not there most of the time, so it needs to run reliably
          > > > unattended, automatically dialing up when it uploads, and hang up
          > > > after it is finished. Is this something WUHU can do? I couldn't find
          > > > any information in the user guide that explains exactly what WUHU
          > > > does, so I am not sure. I'd just give a try, but I don't have my
          > > > weather station here at home.
          > > >
          > > > Currently, at the cabin I am running a program I wrote myself to
          > > > update my personal website with my weather data and web cam photo. I
          > > > have limited free dial-up time, so I only upload the information
          once
          > > > an hour during the day. I'd also like to upload the data to Weather
          > > > Underground to take advantage of its history and graph features.
          So, I
          > > > am thinking that every hour I'd alternate between updating my
          website
          > > > and Weather Underground. Can I schedule WUHU to only run during
          > > > certain hours, like 9am to 6pm?
          > > >
          > > > Thanks for your help.
          > > >
          > > > Karen
          > > >

          > I was only planning on uploading to Weather Underground because of the
          > limited dial-up time I have. I'll give it a try this weekend when I am
          > up at my cabin. Thanks!

        • Joe Torsitano
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
            If you're only going to choose one service, make sure you evaluate all of them.  PWSweather.com and CWOP have advantages.  PWSweather.com gives you the graphs and archives you're looking for plus gets your data on weatherforyou.com and anythingweather.com.  CWOP data is displayed through findu.com plus is distributed to the NOAA which further shares the data across a number of services.

            --
             Joe Torsitano