Will WUHU work unattended with dial-up?

  • kf9993
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
      I would like to use WUHU to upload weather data from my cabin in the
      mountains. It is in a remote location where only dial-up is available.
      I am not there most of the time, so it needs to run reliably
      unattended, automatically dialing up when it uploads, and hang up
      after it is finished. Is this something WUHU can do? I couldn't find
      any information in the user guide that explains exactly what WUHU
      does, so I am not sure. I'd just give a try, but I don't have my
      weather station here at home.

      Currently, at the cabin I am running a program I wrote myself to
      update my personal website with my weather data and web cam photo. I
      have limited free dial-up time, so I only upload the information once
      an hour during the day. I'd also like to upload the data to Weather
      Underground to take advantage of its history and graph features. So, I
      am thinking that every hour I'd alternate between updating my website
      and Weather Underground. Can I schedule WUHU to only run during
      certain hours, like 9am to 6pm?

      Thanks for your help.

      Karen
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
        I think it is a matter of setting up Windows dialing to disconnect
        after an idle period.

        If you turn off rapid fire, and set a long 'Minimum upload interval'
        (time in seconds), it should send it the data to the servers then stop
        sending, at that point Windows dialer will hang up after the idle period.

        It might get tricky if you do CWOP uploads, you would have to tweak a
        setting in the INI to extend the upload period to some other time frame.

        Are you planning on just uploading to one of the servers?

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "kf9993" <kfrasershop@...>
        wrote:

        > I would like to use WUHU to upload weather data from my cabin in the
        > mountains. It is in a remote location where only dial-up is available.
        > I am not there most of the time, so it needs to run reliably
        > unattended, automatically dialing up when it uploads, and hang up
        > after it is finished. Is this something WUHU can do? I couldn't find
        > any information in the user guide that explains exactly what WUHU
        > does, so I am not sure. I'd just give a try, but I don't have my
        > weather station here at home.
        >
        > Currently, at the cabin I am running a program I wrote myself to
        > update my personal website with my weather data and web cam photo. I
        > have limited free dial-up time, so I only upload the information once
        > an hour during the day. I'd also like to upload the data to Weather
        > Underground to take advantage of its history and graph features. So, I
        > am thinking that every hour I'd alternate between updating my website
        > and Weather Underground. Can I schedule WUHU to only run during
        > certain hours, like 9am to 6pm?
        >
        > Thanks for your help.
        >
        > Karen

      • kf9993
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008

          > I think it is a matter of setting up Windows dialing to disconnect
          > after an idle period.
          >
          > If you turn off rapid fire, and set a long 'Minimum upload interval'
          > (time in seconds), it should send it the data to the servers then stop
          > sending, at that point Windows dialer will hang up after the idle
          period.

          > It might get tricky if you do CWOP uploads, you would have to tweak a
          > setting in the INI to extend the upload period to some other time frame.
          >
          > Are you planning on just uploading to one of the servers?
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "kf9993" <kfrasershop@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I would like to use WUHU to upload weather data from my cabin in the
          > > mountains. It is in a remote location where only dial-up is available.
          > > I am not there most of the time, so it needs to run reliably
          > > unattended, automatically dialing up when it uploads, and hang up
          > > after it is finished. Is this something WUHU can do? I couldn't find
          > > any information in the user guide that explains exactly what WUHU
          > > does, so I am not sure. I'd just give a try, but I don't have my
          > > weather station here at home.
          > >
          > > Currently, at the cabin I am running a program I wrote myself to
          > > update my personal website with my weather data and web cam photo. I
          > > have limited free dial-up time, so I only upload the information once
          > > an hour during the day. I'd also like to upload the data to Weather
          > > Underground to take advantage of its history and graph features. So, I
          > > am thinking that every hour I'd alternate between updating my website
          > > and Weather Underground. Can I schedule WUHU to only run during
          > > certain hours, like 9am to 6pm?
          > >
          > > Thanks for your help.
          > >
          > > Karen

          I was only planning on uploading to Weather Underground because of the
          limited dial-up time I have. I'll give it a try this weekend when I am
          up at my cabin. Thanks!
        • John Liss
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 5, 2008
            Karen,
            I am curious how far the cabin is from your house? Does the house have DSL?

            The reason I ask, is a buddy of mine works for the national forest service and
            they have used just Regular Linksys 54G's with special antennas to get the
            signal down off the mountain for various network links to the gear they have
            stashed up there. (Weather stations, Seismic etc...)
            If memory serves right they used Yagi antennas:

            For sending
            http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/11eleyagi.php
            For receiving:
            http://www.radiolabs.com/products/antennas/2.4gig/stage1.php

            They did load the DD-WRT firmware on them so they could boost the signal output
            to 15dbs.

            One leg of the hop is 12 miles. Of course this is direct line of site from
            a peak to a repeater station, that then relays again through another pair of
            linksys's.

            -John

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 6, 2008
              As the crow flies, my cabin is at least 30 miles away from my home.
              Nice idea, though.

              Thanks,
              Karen

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 6, 2008
                Since you plan to only upload to WU, be sure to un-check the other
                servers so they are not triggering a dial-up as well.

                You would probably set it up for an hourly upload and a quick
                disconnect time in Windows dialing.

                I will be around this weekend if you have troubles.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "kf9993" <kf9993@...> wrote:

                > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                > >

                > > I think it is a matter of setting up Windows dialing to disconnect
                > > after an idle period.
                > >
                > > If you turn off rapid fire, and set a long 'Minimum upload interval'
                > > (time in seconds), it should send it the data to the servers then stop
                > > sending, at that point Windows dialer will hang up after the idle
                > period.
                > >
                > > It might get tricky if you do CWOP uploads, you would have to tweak a
                > > setting in the INI to extend the upload period to some other time
                frame.

                > > Are you planning on just uploading to one of the servers?
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "kf9993" <kfrasershop@>
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I would like to use WUHU to upload weather data from my cabin in the
                > > > mountains. It is in a remote location where only dial-up is
                available.
                > > > I am not there most of the time, so it needs to run reliably
                > > > unattended, automatically dialing up when it uploads, and hang up
                > > > after it is finished. Is this something WUHU can do? I couldn't find
                > > > any information in the user guide that explains exactly what WUHU
                > > > does, so I am not sure. I'd just give a try, but I don't have my
                > > > weather station here at home.
                > > >
                > > > Currently, at the cabin I am running a program I wrote myself to
                > > > update my personal website with my weather data and web cam photo. I
                > > > have limited free dial-up time, so I only upload the information
                once
                > > > an hour during the day. I'd also like to upload the data to Weather
                > > > Underground to take advantage of its history and graph features.
                So, I
                > > > am thinking that every hour I'd alternate between updating my
                website
                > > > and Weather Underground. Can I schedule WUHU to only run during
                > > > certain hours, like 9am to 6pm?
                > > >
                > > > Thanks for your help.
                > > >
                > > > Karen
                > > >

                > I was only planning on uploading to Weather Underground because of the
                > limited dial-up time I have. I'll give it a try this weekend when I am
                > up at my cabin. Thanks!

              • Joe Torsitano
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 7, 2008
                  If you're only going to choose one service, make sure you evaluate all of them.  PWSweather.com and CWOP have advantages.  PWSweather.com gives you the graphs and archives you're looking for plus gets your data on weatherforyou.com and anythingweather.com.  CWOP data is displayed through findu.com plus is distributed to the NOAA which further shares the data across a number of services.

                  --
                   Joe Torsitano