Scientists seek volunteers to monitor for quakes

    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 28 4:29 AM

      What do you guys think? Should we all volunteer up for this project? We already have the infrastructure, computers, and Internet access. It looks like a cool project and like the weather stations, it provides useful data to scientists for a low cost.

      On a side note, several months ago, I was looking in to creating a network of CO2 monitors to be managed by home owners however I quickly learned that the government is really only interested high precision measurements in the global atmosphere rather than measuring large localized fluctuations  (urban areas for example). The idea was to use a large network of monitoring stations to create models of CO2 emission. This would be very similar to weather models.

      This youtube video is an example of what the models might produce:

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJpj8UUMTaI

      The reality is that the Vulcan project is not actually monitoring CO2 but is using statistics like population density, manufacturing density, land use, etc, to produce the models.

      Perhaps this is a part of a larger trend, large numbers of citizens volunteering their time and computers for larger environmental monitoring with multiple sensor suites.

      If governments tried to manage these monitoring networks, the costs would be astronomical so it does make a lot of sense.

      ---

      Scientists seek volunteers to monitor for quakes

      By ALICIA CHANG, AP Science Writer  Thu Sep 25, 5:46 PM ET

      LOS ANGELES - Earthquake scientists want to borrow your laptop or maybe a little space in your basement or garage. Researchers don't have enough high-tech monitoring stations to track every instance of ground shaking, so they are enlisting help from ordinary people to document quakes and pinpoint areas of possible damage.

      Almost anyone can participate by equipping laptop computers with special software or installing quake sensors at home.

      "If they can provide scientific data that can prepare us for events in the future, then that's extremely important," said Tom Jordan of the Southern California Earthquake Center at the University of Southern California.

      The epicenter of the movement is in California, the most quake-prone state in the continental United States. Each year, some 10,000 temblors rattle Southern California alone, though most are too small to be felt.

      The Quake-Catcher Network was launched earlier this year to tap into the computing power of some 300 participants worldwide, including 50 volunteers in California.

      The network relies on a sensor called an accelerometer that is built into many newer laptops to detect sudden motion. If the computer is dropped, for instance, the sensor can alert the hard drive, shielding it from potential damage and preventing data from being lost.

      Volunteers download software that links their computers to others in the network and sends information about shaking to scientists through the Internet.

      Since any movement — passing trucks, neighbors moving furniture or a pet jumping on the desk — can trigger a laptop's internal sensor, scientists scan incoming data only when the U.S. Geological Survey determines that an actual quake has occurred, based on readings from its field stations.

      "If there's a bunch of laptops that trigger in one location, there's probably an earthquake," said seismologist Elizabeth Cochran of the University of California, Riverside, who is a leader of the project.

      In the past, people could only report ground shaking in their neighborhood by logging onto the USGS Web site and filling out a questionnaire.

      The computer network, run by Stanford University and UC Riverside, supplements data from about 800 permanent monitoring stations in California that beam readings to the USGS, the chief federal agency in charge of monitoring for quakes.

      Emergency personnel use the data to locate potentially hard-hit areas. The more sensors that can record shaking, the more accurate the picture about possible damage.

      The volunteer system is similar to the one already used by the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence project at the University of California, Berkeley. Started in 1999, the SETI system harnesses shared PC power to analyze radio-telescope data for sounds of alien intelligence. It now boasts more than 1 million volunteers.

      The Quake-Catcher system was put to the test in July during a magnitude-5.4 quake that was centered in the hills east of Los Angeles. The temblor rattled a large swath of Southern California, but caused little damage. Fewer than a half-dozen laptops with the software sensed the quake, and only three sent back clean signals seven seconds after the fault ruptured.

      While scientists were pleased that some laptops detected motion, they acknowledged the system needed work.

      Seismology graduate student Julian Lozos of UC Riverside was among those whose laptop sent back good data. Since installing the program last winter, he has kept it running except when he sleeps and has not noticed any slowing of his computer's performance.

      The project was initially limited to Apple computer users but was expanded this summer to include Lenovo Thinkpads. Scientists are also developing software compatible with other PCs.

      Scientists who are not involved in Quake-Catcher said it could be helpful to detect low rumblings, but might run into problems involving larger events.

      "When the ground really gets going, a recording instrument needs to stay well-connected to the ground to record the motion, but a laptop will be jumping all over the place," USGS seismologist Susan Hough said in an e-mail.

      The USGS is embarking on its own volunteer program by tapping homeowners willing to donate space in their basement or garage for a portable seismometer. As part of its NetQuakes project, the agency plans to begin deploying the devices as early as this year in the San Francisco Bay area on a test basis. Public participation could start next year.

      The USGS and its partners operate a network of permanent stations, but it is limited by cost and other factors. For example, a seismic station on the southern San Andreas Fault, which has not ruptured in more than three centuries, cost about $70,000 to install and another $3,000 a year to maintain, the agency said.

      To participate, residents must have a wireless Internet connection to allow the device to communicate with the USGS network.

      Like Quake-Catcher, the USGS will only scan volunteer data from NetQuakes after an actual quake.

      "Someone stomping on the instrument isn't going to cause us to analyze the data," said project leader David Oppenheimer, a USGS scientist.

      Yahoo news:

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080925/ap_on_sc/sci_quake_trackers;_ylt=AsA_G.rexX5JXj2IkjdvWFis0NUE

      On the Net:

      U.S. Geological Survey: http://www.usgs.gov

      Quake-Catcher Network: http://qcn.stanford.edu

    • Charles M. Owen
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 28 6:00 AM

        I wonder if this project will go nationwide someday since the Mississippi Valley is more likely to unprepared than the West Coast.

        http://www.usgs.gov/newsroom/article.asp?ID=1185

        Charles

        CW4870

        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 28 6:11 AM
          I would be interested, however I don't have a laptop to use.
          Interesting video.

> [...]
          >
          > The USGS and its partners operate a network of permanent stations,
          but
          > it is limited by cost and other factors. For example, a seismic
          station
          > on the southern San Andreas Fault, which has not ruptured in more
          than
          > three centuries, cost about $70,000 to install and another $3,000
          a year
          > to maintain, the agency said.
          >
          > To participate, residents must have a wireless Internet connection
          > allow the device to communicate with the USGS network.
          >
          > Like Quake-Catcher, the USGS will only scan volunteer data from
          > NetQuakes after an actual quake.
          >
          > "Someone stomping on the instrument isn't going to cause us to
          analyze
          > the data," said project leader David Oppenheimer, a USGS scientist.

          <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/dailynews/ap/ap_on_sc/storytext/sci_quake_tra
          cke\

          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 28 6:49 AM
            Using a desktop is not a problem. You can get a sensor that hooks to
            the USB. From what I read on their site, they will be giving a
            thousand sensors away to the public.

            My guess is that they want the sensors mounted on a solid foundation,
            like a slab or basement floor so that the readings are stable.

            If you had it say mounted to a floor above a basement, you would get a
            lot of vibration if someone just walked across the floor.

            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 28 7:12 AM
              HMMMM!!! I would be up to the task.
              Only problem is that I live in an old house with a dirt floor and
              live rock foundation.

              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 28 7:23 AM
                I am sure that if you poured a little concrete in to a hole to create
                a small foundation for the sensor, that would be more than adequate.

                Message 7 of 12 , Sep 28 7:30 AM
                  Count me in

> [...]
                  adequate.

                  > <steve_03222@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > HMMMM!!! I would be up to the task.
                  > > Only problem is that I live in an old house with a dirt floor
                  and
                  > > live rock foundation.
                  > >
                  > > Steve

                  > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
                  > > >

                  > > > Using a desktop is not a problem. You can get a sensor that
                  hooks
                  > > > the USB. From what I read on their site, they will be giving a
                  > > > thousand sensors away to the public.
                  > > >
                  > > > My guess is that they want the sensors mounted on a solid
                  > > foundation,
                  > > > like a slab or basement floor so that the readings are stable.
                  > > >
                  > > > If you had it say mounted to a floor above a basement, you
                  would
                  > > get a
                  > > > lot of vibration if someone just walked across the floor.

                • Deborah Kee, K5KEE
                  Message 8 of 12 , Sep 28 7:39 AM
                    OK guys ... tell me where I'm missing the part on where to sign up for this. Apparently my brain cells are taking a vacation.

                    ~ Deb

                    Count me in

                    Message 9 of 12 , Sep 28 8:54 AM
                      Deborah,

                      Apparently they have only a listserver at the moment (like the weather
                      quality list) that you can sign up to.

                      See:

                      When they have the thousand sensors ready to give away, my guess is that
                      it will be announced on the list.

                      I did fire off an email to the organizers/managers of this project
                      telling them that PWS could be a source of many volunteers.

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Deborah Kee, K5KEE"
                      <debkee@...> wrote:

                      > OK guys ... tell me where I'm missing the part on where to sign up for
                      this.
                      > Apparently my brain cells are taking a vacation.
                      >
                      > ~ Deb
                      >

                      > On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:30 AM, steve_03222 steve_03222@... wrote:
                      >
                      > > Count me in
                      > >
                      > > --- In
                      wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.co\
                      m>,
                      > > "wuhu_software"
                      > > wuhu_software@ wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > I am sure that if you poured a little concrete in to a hole to
                      > > create
                      > > > a small foundation for the sensor, that would be more than
> [...]
                    • Bob Tyszka
                      Message 10 of 12 , Sep 28 4:50 PM
                        Looks interesting to me, since I live in Shake and Bake country
                        (California desert). Can this work on a desk top? Can it work with WUHU
                        running? I have a desktop dedicated to WUHU and would be interested in
                        adding the earthquake sensor to it.

                        Bob T.
                        CW9012

                        wuhu_software wrote:

> [...]
                        > plans to begin deploying the devices as early as this year in the San
                        > Francisco Bay area on a test basis. Public participation could start
                        > next year.
                        >
                        > The USGS and its partners operate a network of permanent stations, but
                        > it is limited by cost and other factors. For example, a seismic
                        > station on the southern San Andreas Fault, which has not ruptured in
                        > more than three centuries, cost about $70,000 to install and another
                        > $3,000 a year to maintain, the agency said.
                        >
                        > To participate, residents must have a wireless Internet connection to
                        > allow the device to communicate with the USGS network.
                        >
                        > Like Quake-Catcher, the USGS will only scan volunteer data from
                        > NetQuakes after an actual quake.
                        >
                        > "Someone stomping on the instrument isn't going to cause us to analyze
                        > the data," said project leader David Oppenheimer, a USGS scientist.

                      • Ray Doering
                        Message 11 of 12 , Sep 28 5:03 PM
                          They state it will work on a desktop if you have a wireless network, The
                          sensors they use for desktops are wireless.

                        • rob.sokolowski
                          Message 12 of 12 , Sep 29 3:40 PM