Re: Wunderground Rapidfire performance problems

    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
      [wind animation removed for small arrows] and [arrows removed
      completely]

      are noticeably better than [current website].

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
      <alans@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Are any of the other ones noticeably better.
      >
      > Alan
      >

      > On 3/2/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Alan,
      > >
      > > Web browser: MS Internet Explorer
      > > Version: 6.0.2800 (latest for 2000)
      > > Memory: 512MB, 235MB free
      > > Processor Speed: 900Mhz AMD
      > > Operating System: Windows 2000. Latest SPs.
      > >
      > > [current website] - Noticeable choppy scroll accompanied with a
      1/4
      > > to 1/2 second freeze.
      > >
      > > [wind animation removed for small arrows] and
      > > [arrows removed completely]
      > >
      > > Smooth scrolling until the 1/4-1/2 second lag hits.
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
      > >
      > > <alans@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I want to thank everyone for the statistics it is really
      helpful.

      > > > IF you have a problem where you find the wunderground.com
      forecast
      > > page
      > > > unusably slow (ie: it uses all of your system resources), then
      > > please try
      > > > these three links and let me know if any of them fix the
      problem.

      > > > Please report:
      > > >
      > > > Web browser:
      > > > Version:
      > > > Memory:
      > > > Processor Speed:
      > > > Operating System:
      > > >
      > > > Let me know if there is any noticable difference between these
      URLs:

      > > > [current website]
      > > > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/current.html
      > > > [wind animation removed for small arrows]
      > > > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrowanim.html
      > > > [arrows removed completely]
      > > > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrows.html
      > > >
      > > > I don't really care about the processor usage when you scroll.
      That
      > > is
      > > > really dependant on the graphic card that you have in the
      computer.
      > > The
      > > > problem with scrolling was that the computer wouldn't scroll
      > > because it was
      > > > so taxed downloading the rapid fire data and updating the page.
      > > >

      > > > Thanks!
      > > > Alan
      > > >
      > > > --
      > > > Alan Steremberg
      > > > Weather Underground
      > > > 415-543-5022 x 103
      > > > http://www.wunderground.com

      > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

      > > WUHU Download page:

      t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
      +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
      Weather
      > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
      s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
      > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
      s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
      _group>"

      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

      > > ------------------------------
      > >

      > --
      > Alan Steremberg
      > Weather Underground
      > 415-543-5022 x 103
      > http://www.wunderground.com

    • Alan Steremberg
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006

        Is the performance on this page noticebly slow:
         (skip the full page add if they put one up)

        <alans@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > >
        > > WUHU Download page:

        t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
        +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
        Weather
        > > stations< http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
        s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
        > > edition< http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
        s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
        _group>"

        > >    on the web.
        > >
        > >    -  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
        > >     wuhu_software_group-
        unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

        > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        WUHU Download page:
        http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

        Personal weather station Weather stations Standard edition

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        --
        Alan Steremberg
        Weather Underground
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
          That page is very acceptable, no real noticeable lock up or lag
          during scrolling.

          <alans@...> wrote:

          > Is the performance on this page noticebly slow:
          > http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B3D544FA1%
          2D632C%2D4859%2D8931%2DE1BDFA903491%7D&siteid=mktw&dist
          > =
          > (skip the full page add if they put one up)
          >

          > On 3/2/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > [wind animation removed for small arrows] and [arrows removed
          > > completely]
          > >
          > > are noticeably better than [current website].
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
          > > <alans@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi,
          > > >
          > > > Are any of the other ones noticeably better.
          > > >
          > > > Alan

          > > 1/4

          > > helpful.

          > > forecast
          > > problem.

          > > URLs:

          http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrowanim.html

          http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrows.html

          > > That
          > > computer.

          t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather

          +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
          > > Weather

          t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
          > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g>
          Standard

          t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
          > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
          > > _group>"

          > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-
          subject=Unsubscribe>

          Terms of

          > > > --
          > > > Alan Steremberg
          > > > Weather Underground
          > > > 415-543-5022 x 103
          > > > http://www.wunderground.com

          > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

          > > WUHU Download page:

          t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
          +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
          Weather
          > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
          s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
          > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
          s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
          _group>"
          > > on the web.

          > > wuhu_software_group-
          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

          > > ------------------------------
          > >

          > --
          > Alan Steremberg
          > Weather Underground
          > 415-543-5022 x 103
          > http://www.wunderground.com

        • Alan Steremberg
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
            I am going to try to make another sample page and see if I can speed things up more.

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
              Hi,

              Can you go to the normal www web page and see if the time speeds up. If not, try hitting 'shift and reload' and then see if it is better.

              Thanks,
              Alan

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
                I tried the main screen with rapid fire enabled.

                It is smooth scrolling until the 1/4-1/2 second lag. It is not bad
                really.

                <alans@...> wrote:

                > Hi,
                >
                > Can you go to the normal www web page and see if the time speeds
                up. If not,
                > try hitting 'shift and reload' and then see if it is better.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Alan
                >

                > On 3/2/06, Alan Steremberg <alans@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I am going to try to make another sample page and see if I can
                speed
                > > things up more.
                > >
                > > Alan
                > >

                > > On 3/2/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
                > > >

                > > > That page is very acceptable, no real noticeable lock up or lag
                > > > during scrolling.
                > > >

                > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com , "Alan Steremberg"

                7B3D544FA1%<http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%
                7B3D544FA1%25>

                http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

                t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather

                +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>

                t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                > > > Standard

                t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station

                > > > subject=Unsubscribe>

                > > > Terms of

                t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather

                +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
                > > > Weather

                t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                > > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g>
                Standard

                t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                > > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
                > > > _group>"

                > > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

                Terms of

                > > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

                > > > WUHU Download page:
                > > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

                t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
                +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
                Weather
                > > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
                > > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
                _group>"
                > > > on the web.

                > > > wuhu_software_group-
                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

                > > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                of

                > > > ------------------------------
                > > >

                > > --
                > >
                > > Alan Steremberg
                > > Weather Underground
                > > 415-543-5022 x 103
                > > http://www.wunderground.com
                > >

                > --
                > Alan Steremberg
                > Weather Underground
                > 415-543-5022 x 103
                > http://www.wunderground.com

              • Alan Steremberg
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006

                  Does that mean it seems better? Is it 'fixed' now?

                  http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
                    Alan,

                    I am suspecting the small pause (1/4 to 1/2 second on a slow machine)
                    may be un-avoidable.

                    The general scrolling sluggishness is definitely better.

                    Do you think the delay can be totally eliminated?

                    <http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%25>
                    guid=%<http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%25>

                    http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?

                    t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather

                    +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>

                    t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                    > > Standard

                    t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station

                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    > > Terms of

                    t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather

                    +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
                    > > Weather

                    t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                    > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g>
                    Standard

                    t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                    > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
                    > > _group>"

                    > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-
                    subject=Unsubscribe>

                    Terms
                    > > of

                    > > > --
                    > > > Alan Steremberg
                    > > > Weather Underground
                    > > > 415-543-5022 x 103
                    > > > http://www.wunderground.com

                    > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

                    > > WUHU Download page:

                    t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
                    +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
                    Weather
                    > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                    s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
                    > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                    t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                    s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
                    _group>"
                    > > on the web.

                    > > wuhu_software_group-
                    unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

                    > > ------------------------------
                    > >

                    > --
                    > Alan Steremberg
                    > Weather Underground
                    > 415-543-5022 x 103
                    > http://www.wunderground.com

                  • Alan Steremberg
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006

                      Which browser are you using on that machine again? I think that Firefox 1.0 will probably be the worst performance, but it is hard to tell. I ran the code through the javascript profiler in the firefox debugger and was able to double the speed of the guts, this probably helps.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2, 2006
                        Version: MS Internet Explorer 6.0.2800 (latest for 2000)

                        I can defiently live with the short pause.

                        You guys have made a lot of changes with the rapid fire. If you are
                        not getting complaints from your normal WU users, I would not worry
                        about it.