Re: Confused Again

    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
      Ron,

      The console can hold 177 records of data. The period of this captured
      data, start to finish, is dependent upon what you have set in
      Heavyweather (history interval). This interval is sent to the console
      to tell it how often to stored data in it's memory.

      Let's say you have set it to 5 minutes in Heavyweather, this would
      result in a capture of 14.75 hours of data.

      When you run Heavyweather, it captures this data from the console and
      stores it off to history.dat.

      The problem is that in order to keep the history file completely up
      to date, you would have to run it every 14.75 hours.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Ron KFLTAMPA42"
      <jeffrondee@...> wrote:

      > So what else is new.
      >
      > I thought that if I used WS23XX Direct Serial Access on Com Port, I
      > would lose my History files on Heavy Weather.
      >
      > I have been swithcing back and forth from La Crosse Heavy Weather
      Data
      > File (Currdat.1st) and WS23XX Direct Serial Access on Com Port so I
      > can watch my Rapid Fire wind speed graph move faster. Whenever I
      > change back to using Heavy Weather and the La Crosse default, my
      Heavy
      > Weather history files up date without any loss of Data.
      >
      > Can someone unconfuse me? I know that is not a word because spell
      > check told me so.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Ron

    • Ron KFLTAMPA42
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2006
        Thanks wuhu_software, that certainly helps me get out of this
        episode of confusion. So now I'll have to decide what interval of
        history I want to keep.

        I'm sure I'll get back in eventually.

        Ron

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
          Ok, I thought I was clear on this, but now I am confused.
          If I run serial direct I still get History.DAT files?
          I understand how they save in the consul, but they automatically
          download when it is running. If I save the History file every 150
          entries and switch to another file name (ex history1.dat)for the next
          150 and so on, will that work.
          So, I would still get the benefit of serial direct for updates on WU
          and I would still get my history files that I can use in excel for my
          graphs?

          Just to be sure I am running a WS-2310 and HeavyWeather.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
            Steve,

            If you go with WUHU direct serial, your history.dat is not updated
            while WUHU is running. In the future I may add this capability, but for
            now it does not.

            The history saved in the console is only retrieved when you run
            Heavyweather (In which case WUHU cannot be running). At startup
            Heavyweather will proceed to download the history from the console and
            save this information in history.dat.

            This being the case, if you have your history interval in Heavyweather
            set to 5 minutes, you must run Heavyweather within 14 hours to retrieve
            the history from the console and update your history.dat file.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
              One last note, I am not sure how long it takes Heavyweather to retrieve
              the history from the console. You will have to determine this on your
              own by viewing the history in Heavyweather and seeing how long it takes
              to pull all of the data out of the console.

              It is a pretty slow interface to the console, so I would guess that it
              may take several minutes to download 177 sets of data.

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
                Ok that is what I ws missing. I would have HeavyWeather Closed while
                in Direct Serial to WuHU.
                However if I did do this I could stop WuHu for instance every night
                and start Heavyweather just to download the history files, of course
                dependent on my specified interval, then start WuHu back up.
                If I try this I am sure I will forget and try to open Heavyweather
                while running direct serial. What will happen?

                Are there different cable connections that I have to make?

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2006
                  "I will forget and try to open Heavyweather while running direct
                  serial. What will happen?"

                  You will lose history data stored in the console. How much data you
                  lose will be dependent on the time between Heavyweather runs.

                  To use direct serial in WUHU, it does not require any changes to the
                  hardware.

                  You simply exit Heavyweather and re-configure WUHU to use direct
                  serial in the general settings. Note that you must hit 'Stop' on WUHU
                  if the general settings are 'grayed-out'. After you make the changes
                  to the general settings, you must hit 'Start' in WUHU.