Wunderground Rapidfire performance problems

  • Alan Steremberg
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 2 9:04 AM
      Hi,

      I want to thank everyone for the statistics it is really helpful.

      IF you have a problem where you find the wunderground.com forecast page unusably slow (ie: it uses all of your system resources), then please try these three links and let me know if any of them fix the problem.

      Please report:

      Web browser:
      Version:
      Memory:
      Processor Speed:
      Operating System:

      Let me know if there is any noticable difference between these URLs:

      [current website]
      [wind animation removed for small arrows]
      [arrows removed completely]
      http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrows.html

      I don't really care about the processor usage when you scroll. That is really dependant on the graphic card that you have in the computer. The problem with scrolling was that the computer wouldn't scroll because it was so taxed downloading the rapid fire data and updating the page.

      Thanks!
      Alan

      --
      Alan Steremberg
      Weather Underground
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 2 9:36 AM
        Alan,

        Web browser: MS Internet Explorer
        Version: 6.0.2800 (latest for 2000)
        Memory: 512MB, 235MB free
        Processor Speed: 900Mhz AMD
        Operating System: Windows 2000. Latest SPs.

        [current website] - Noticeable choppy scroll accompanied with a 1/4
        to 1/2 second freeze.

        [wind animation removed for small arrows] and
        [arrows removed completely]

        Smooth scrolling until the 1/4-1/2 second lag hits.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
        <alans@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I want to thank everyone for the statistics it is really helpful.
        >
        > IF you have a problem where you find the wunderground.com forecast
        page
        > unusably slow (ie: it uses all of your system resources), then
        please try
        > these three links and let me know if any of them fix the problem.
        >
        > Please report:
        >
        > Web browser:
        > Version:
        > Memory:
        > Processor Speed:
        > Operating System:
        >
        > Let me know if there is any noticable difference between these URLs:
        >
        > [current website]
        > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/current.html
        > [wind animation removed for small arrows]
        > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrowanim.html
        > [arrows removed completely]
        > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrows.html
        >
        > I don't really care about the processor usage when you scroll. That
        is
        > really dependant on the graphic card that you have in the computer.
        The
        > problem with scrolling was that the computer wouldn't scroll
        because it was
        > so taxed downloading the rapid fire data and updating the page.
        >

        > Thanks!
        > Alan
        >
        > --
        > Alan Steremberg
        > Weather Underground
        > 415-543-5022 x 103
        > http://www.wunderground.com

      • Alan Steremberg
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 2 9:43 AM
          Hi,

          Are any of the other ones noticeably better.

          Alan

          <alans@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I want to thank everyone for the statistics it is really helpful.
          >
          > IF you have a problem where you find the wunderground.com forecast
          page
          > unusably slow (ie: it uses all of your system resources), then
          please try
          > these three links and let me know if any of them fix the problem.
          >
          > Please report:
          >
          > Web browser:
          > Version:
          > Memory:
          > Processor Speed:
          > Operating System:
          >
          > Let me know if there is any noticable difference between these URLs:
          >
          > [current website]
          > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/current.html
          >  [wind animation removed for small arrows]
          > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrowanim.html
          > [arrows removed completely]
          > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrows.html
          >
          > I don't really care about the processor usage when you scroll. That
          is
          > really dependant on the graphic card that you have in the computer.
          The
          > problem with scrolling was that the computer wouldn't scroll
          because it was
          > so taxed downloading the rapid fire data and updating the page.
          >

          > Thanks!
          > Alan
          >
          > --
          > Alan Steremberg
          > Weather Underground
          > 415-543-5022 x 103
          > http://www.wunderground.com

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          WUHU Download page:
          http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

          Personal weather station Weather stations Standard edition

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          --
          Alan Steremberg
          Weather Underground
          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 2 10:11 AM
            [wind animation removed for small arrows] and [arrows removed
            completely]

            are noticeably better than [current website].

            <alans@...> wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > Are any of the other ones noticeably better.
            >
            > Alan
            >

            > On 3/2/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Alan,
            > >
            > > Web browser: MS Internet Explorer
            > > Version: 6.0.2800 (latest for 2000)
            > > Memory: 512MB, 235MB free
            > > Processor Speed: 900Mhz AMD
            > > Operating System: Windows 2000. Latest SPs.
            > >
            > > [current website] - Noticeable choppy scroll accompanied with a
            1/4
            > > to 1/2 second freeze.
            > >
            > > [wind animation removed for small arrows] and
            > > [arrows removed completely]
            > >
            > > Smooth scrolling until the 1/4-1/2 second lag hits.
            > >
            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
            > >
            > > <alans@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hi,
            > > >
            > > > I want to thank everyone for the statistics it is really
            helpful.

            > > > IF you have a problem where you find the wunderground.com
            forecast
            > > page
            > > > unusably slow (ie: it uses all of your system resources), then
            > > please try
            > > > these three links and let me know if any of them fix the
            problem.

            > > > Please report:
            > > >
            > > > Web browser:
            > > > Version:
            > > > Memory:
            > > > Processor Speed:
            > > > Operating System:
            > > >
            > > > Let me know if there is any noticable difference between these
            URLs:

            > > > [current website]
            > > > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/current.html
            > > > [wind animation removed for small arrows]
            > > > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrowanim.html
            > > > [arrows removed completely]
            > > > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrows.html
            > > >
            > > > I don't really care about the processor usage when you scroll.
            That
            > > is
            > > > really dependant on the graphic card that you have in the
            computer.
            > > The
            > > > problem with scrolling was that the computer wouldn't scroll
            > > because it was
            > > > so taxed downloading the rapid fire data and updating the page.
            > > >

            > > > Thanks!
            > > > Alan
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > Alan Steremberg
            > > > Weather Underground
            > > > 415-543-5022 x 103
            > > > http://www.wunderground.com

            > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

            > > WUHU Download page:

            t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
            +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
            Weather
            > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
            s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
            > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
            t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
            s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
            _group>"

            unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

            > > ------------------------------
            > >

            > --
            > Alan Steremberg
            > Weather Underground
            > 415-543-5022 x 103
            > http://www.wunderground.com

          • Alan Steremberg
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 2 10:17 AM

              Is the performance on this page noticebly slow:
               (skip the full page add if they put one up)

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 2 10:20 AM
                That page is very acceptable, no real noticeable lock up or lag
                during scrolling.

                <alans@...> wrote:

                > Is the performance on this page noticebly slow:
                > http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%7B3D544FA1%
                2D632C%2D4859%2D8931%2DE1BDFA903491%7D&siteid=mktw&dist
                > =
                > (skip the full page add if they put one up)
                >

                > On 3/2/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > [wind animation removed for small arrows] and [arrows removed
                > > completely]
                > >
                > > are noticeably better than [current website].
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
                > > <alans@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hi,
                > > >
                > > > Are any of the other ones noticeably better.
                > > >
                > > > Alan

                > > 1/4

                > > helpful.

                > > forecast
                > > problem.

                > > URLs:

                http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrowanim.html

                http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrows.html

                > > That
                > > computer.

                t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather

                +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
                > > Weather

                t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g>
                Standard

                t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
                > > _group>"

                > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-
                subject=Unsubscribe>

                Terms of

                > > > --
                > > > Alan Steremberg
                > > > Weather Underground
                > > > 415-543-5022 x 103
                > > > http://www.wunderground.com

                > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

                > > WUHU Download page:

                t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
                +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
                Weather
                > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
                > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
                _group>"
                > > on the web.

                > > wuhu_software_group-
                unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

                > > ------------------------------
                > >

                > --
                > Alan Steremberg
                > Weather Underground
                > 415-543-5022 x 103
                > http://www.wunderground.com

              • Alan Steremberg
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 2 10:23 AM
                  I am going to try to make another sample page and see if I can speed things up more.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 2 11:40 AM
                    Hi,

                    Can you go to the normal www web page and see if the time speeds up. If not, try hitting 'shift and reload' and then see if it is better.

                    Thanks,
                    Alan

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 2 12:14 PM
                      I tried the main screen with rapid fire enabled.

                      It is smooth scrolling until the 1/4-1/2 second lag. It is not bad
                      really.

                      <alans@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      >
                      > Can you go to the normal www web page and see if the time speeds
                      up. If not,
                      > try hitting 'shift and reload' and then see if it is better.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Alan
                      >

                      > On 3/2/06, Alan Steremberg <alans@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I am going to try to make another sample page and see if I can
                      speed
                      > > things up more.
                      > >
                      > > Alan
                      > >

                      > > On 3/2/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
                      > > >

                      > > > That page is very acceptable, no real noticeable lock up or lag
                      > > > during scrolling.
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com , "Alan Steremberg"

                      7B3D544FA1%<http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%
                      7B3D544FA1%25>
                      > > > 2D632C%2D4859%2D8931%2DE1BDFA903491%7D&siteid=mktw&dist

                      Steremberg"

                      Steremberg"

                      > > > then

                      > > > these

                      http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/current.html

                      > > > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrowanim.html
                      > > > > > > > >
                      > > > http://dev.wunderground.com/alans/rapidfiretest/noarrows.html

                      > > > scroll.
                      > > > page.

                      > > > minimum)?

                      t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather

                      +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>

                      t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                      > > > Standard

                      t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station

                      > > > subject=Unsubscribe>

                      > > > Terms of

                      t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather

                      +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
                      > > > Weather

                      t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                      > > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g>
                      Standard

                      t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                      > > > s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
                      > > > _group>"

                      > > > unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

                      Terms of

                      > > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

                      > > > WUHU Download page:
                      > > > http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

                      t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
                      +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
                      Weather
                      > > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                      s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
                      > > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                      t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                      s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
                      _group>"
                      > > > on the web.

                      > > > wuhu_software_group-
                      unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

                      > > > - Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms
                      of

                      > > > ------------------------------
                      > > >

                      > > --
                      > >
                      > > Alan Steremberg
                      > > Weather Underground
                      > > 415-543-5022 x 103
                      > > http://www.wunderground.com
                      > >

                      > --
                      > Alan Steremberg
                      > Weather Underground
                      > 415-543-5022 x 103
                      > http://www.wunderground.com

                    • Alan Steremberg
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 2 12:16 PM

                        Does that mean it seems better? Is it 'fixed' now?

                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 2 1:17 PM
                          Alan,

                          I am suspecting the small pause (1/4 to 1/2 second on a slow machine)
                          may be un-avoidable.

                          The general scrolling sluggishness is definitely better.

                          Do you think the delay can be totally eliminated?

                          <http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%25>
                          guid=%<http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Story/Story.aspx?guid=%25>
> [...]
                          > > of

                          > > > --
                          > > > Alan Steremberg
                          > > > Weather Underground
                          > > > 415-543-5022 x 103
                          > > > http://www.wunderground.com

                          > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

                          > > WUHU Download page:

                          t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
                          +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
                          Weather
                          > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                          s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
                          > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
                          t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
                          s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>

                        • Alan Steremberg
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 2 2:21 PM

                            Which browser are you using on that machine again? I think that Firefox 1.0 will probably be the worst performance, but it is hard to tell. I ran the code through the javascript profiler in the firefox debugger and was able to double the speed of the guts, this probably helps.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 2 2:51 PM
                              Version: MS Internet Explorer 6.0.2800 (latest for 2000)

                              I can defiently live with the short pause.

                              You guys have made a lot of changes with the rapid fire. If you are
                              not getting complaints from your normal WU users, I would not worry
                              about it.