Newbie thinking of jumping into weather station

  • Doug Leppard
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008

      I have always wanted to do this but time and money was always the issue.  What made the difference is the cheapness of the ws-2317.

      I would like to interact with someone personally before the final jump.  Is there someone out there willing to talk to me via the phone?

      My background:

      BS in Electronic Engineering

      Director web software group

      Hobbies

         Corvettes (1986)

         Robotics (lead engineer for FIRST robotics team 1902)

         Elder at my church (UPC-Orlando.com)

      I know nothing about weather

      Live in Orlando that is why I am interested in weather

      If you are interested in interacting with me personally before I make the plunge email my hotmail account dougleppard@... or Doug.Leppard@....

      BTW I did search the files section and posts for newbie information before sending this.

      Doug Leppard
      Global ConneXion Director
      Global Technology Office
      Campus Crusade for Christ International
      Doug.Leppard@...

      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008
        Doug,

        Welcome to the group.

        Here is an old post I made couple of years ago:

        The WS-2308 is identical to the WS-2317 except for the console sytling
        (same sensors, etc).

        The WS-2316 is about the same but it has a cup-style wind sensor rather
        than the impeller type used on most La Crosse stations.

        Since the last post, the WMR-100 is new (Oregon Scientific) and the
        Honeywell weather station.

        All in all, my estimate is that the Davis is the best consumer grade
        station out there, but it is also the most expensive ($500 or so).

        We had a few discussions about creating a "open-source" weather station
        using a PIC controller to collect data from weather sensors. I am not
        sure if you are in to the PICs, but that might be an interesting
        project. The idea behind the project was to create an accurate,
        affordable, real-time weather station using available parts on the
        market (like the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor).

        Anyhow, if you have any questions, feel free to post them.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Doug Leppard
        <Doug.Leppard@...> wrote:

        > I have always wanted to do this but time and money was always the
        issue.
        > What made the difference is the cheapness of the ws-2317.
        >

        > I would like to interact with someone personally before the final
        jump.
        > Is there someone out there willing to talk to me via the phone?
        >

        > My background:
        >

        > BS in Electronic Engineering
        >
        > Director web software group
        >
        > Hobbies
        >
        > Corvettes (1986)
        >
        > Robotics (lead engineer for FIRST robotics team 1902)
        >
        > Elder at my church (UPC-Orlando.com)
        >
        > I know nothing about weather
        >
        > Live in Orlando that is why I am interested in weather
        >
        > If you are interested in interacting with me personally before I make
        > the plunge email my hotmail account dougleppard@... or
        > Doug.Leppard@...
        >
        > BTW I did search the files section and posts for newbie information
        > before sending this.
        >
        > Doug Leppard
        > Global ConneXion Director
        > Global Technology Office
        > Campus Crusade for Christ International
        > Doug.Leppard@...

      • Greg
        Message 3 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008
          That was a great post that was linked in the post. And, we all look
          at things from different perspectives. I have a OS WMR 968 and a La
          Crosse 2315.

          I got a OS WMR968 last Christmas and that's what got me into this.
          Since Christmas, I've had two humidity sensors die. But, everything
          else works perfectly. The range for the wireless sensors had to be
          over 100 yards (I know this because I moved the sensors all around
          the yard to try to find good places for them). Another advantage is
          that all the different sensors are self contained (each sensor
          connects to it's own solar cell/transmitter). So you can have the
          temperature/humidity sensor in one place, the wind sensor in another
          place, etc. The wind sensor is very sensitive and updates every 14
          seconds. I like the display on the 968 control panel better than the
          2315. It has much more information and flexibility. Also, it took
          me three calls to customer service before I talked to someone that
          seemed to know what they were doing, and they said that even though
          my sensor was still under warranty, they didn't have a replacement to
          send me (I ended up buying another one on ebay, and it died after
          about a month, too).

          That said, I got very tired of seeing 25% humidy when it was pouring
          down rain outside. I found a La Crosse 2315 for $99.95 (they must
          have quit making them and are trying to get rid of them or
          something). Well, with the Virtual Weather Station and stuff it was
          a little more. Anyways, I've been running it along with the 968 as
          kind of a second check for about a week now and it seems to be doing
          fine. The wind speed update is a lot slower than the 968 (I'm
          running wireless mode), the humidity is too low at night and too high
          in the daytime (I've got to get with someone at La Crosse about this)
          and all the sensors plug into the temp/hum sensor, so you're kind of
          limited as to sensor placement.

          I'm sure (like everybody else) that a Davis is the best (although
          I've never had one) but when cost is a consideration, cost is a
          consideration (if you know what I mean).

          I hope this helps.

          Greg Whitehead
          Euchee, TN

          > Doug,
          >
          > Welcome to the group.
          >
          > Here is an old post I made couple of years ago:

          > The WS-2308 is identical to the WS-2317 except for the console
          sytling
          > (same sensors, etc).
          >
          > The WS-2316 is about the same but it has a cup-style wind sensor
          rather
          > than the impeller type used on most La Crosse stations.
          >
          > Since the last post, the WMR-100 is new (Oregon Scientific) and the
          > Honeywell weather station.
          >
          > All in all, my estimate is that the Davis is the best consumer grade
          > station out there, but it is also the most expensive ($500 or so).
          >
          > We had a few discussions about creating a "open-source" weather
          station
          > using a PIC controller to collect data from weather sensors. I am
          not
          > sure if you are in to the PICs, but that might be an interesting
          > project. The idea behind the project was to create an accurate,
          > affordable, real-time weather station using available parts on the
          > market (like the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor).
          >
          > Anyhow, if you have any questions, feel free to post them.
          >

          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Doug Leppard
          > <Doug.Leppard@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have always wanted to do this but time and money was always the
          > issue.
          > > What made the difference is the cheapness of the ws-2317.
          > >

          > > I would like to interact with someone personally before the final
          > jump.
          > > Is there someone out there willing to talk to me via the phone?
          > >

          > > My background:
          > >

          > > BS in Electronic Engineering
          > >
          > > Director web software group
          > >
          > > Hobbies
          > >
          > > Corvettes (1986)
          > >
          > > Robotics (lead engineer for FIRST robotics team 1902)
          > >
          > > Elder at my church (UPC-Orlando.com)
          > >
          > > I know nothing about weather
          > >
          > > Live in Orlando that is why I am interested in weather
          > >
          > > If you are interested in interacting with me personally before I
          make
          > > the plunge email my hotmail account dougleppard@ or
          > > Doug.Leppard@
          > >
          > > BTW I did search the files section and posts for newbie
          information
          > > before sending this.
          > >
          > > Doug Leppard
          > > Global ConneXion Director
          > > Global Technology Office
          > > Campus Crusade for Christ International
          > > Doug.Leppard@

        • Doug Leppard
          Message 4 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008

            Thanks for the answers.

            I figured to really do something you had to invest in a Davis which right now is out of the question.  But with a La Crosse at $100 (Amazon) or WMR968 at $200.  The extra $100 might be worth it for the WMR968 if the wireless works well and La Crosse doesn’t.  But $200 is at my upper end.  Any last input on which one?

            Questions arise like placement of sensors, are there links that makes suggestions on placement?

            --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, "wuhu_software"
            <wuhu_software@ ...> wrote:

            > Doug,
            >
            > Welcome to the group.
            >
            > Here is an old post I made couple of years ago:

            > The WS-2308 is identical to the WS-2317 except for the console
            sytling
            > (same sensors, etc).
            >
            > The WS-2316 is about the same but it has a cup-style wind sensor
            rather
            > than the impeller type used on most La
            Crosse stations.

            > Since the last post, the WMR-100 is new (Oregon Scientific) and the
            > Honeywell weather station.
            >
            > All in all, my estimate is that the Davis
            is the best consumer grade
            > station out there, but it is also the most expensive ($500 or so).
            >
            > We had a few discussions about creating a "open-source" weather
            station
            > using a PIC controller to collect data from weather sensors. I am
            not
            > sure if you are in to the PICs, but that might be an interesting
            > project. The idea behind the project was to create an accurate,
            > affordable, real-time weather station using available parts on the
            > market (like the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor).
            >
            > Anyhow, if you have any questions, feel free to post them.
            >

            > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com,
            Doug Leppard
            > <Doug.Leppard@ > wrote:
            > >
            > > I have always wanted to do this but time and money was always the
            > issue.
            > > What made the difference is the cheapness of the ws-2317.
            > >

            > > I would like to interact with someone personally before the final
            > jump.
            > > Is there someone out there willing to talk to me via the phone?
            > >

            > > My background:
            > >

            > > BS in Electronic Engineering
            > >
            > > Director web software group
            > >
            > > Hobbies
            > >
            > > Corvettes (1986)
            > >
            > > Robotics (lead engineer for FIRST robotics team 1902)
            > >
            > > Elder at my church (UPC-Orlando. com)
            > >
            > > I know nothing about weather
            > >
            > > Live in Orlando
            that is why I am interested in weather

            > > If you are interested in interacting with me personally before I
            make
            > > the plunge email my hotmail account dougleppard@ or
            > > Doug.Leppard@
            > >
            > > BTW I did search the files section and posts for newbie
            information
            > > before sending this.
            > >
            > > Doug Leppard
            > > Global ConneXion Director
            > > Global Technology Office
            > > Campus Crusade for Christ International
            > > Doug.Leppard@

          • petros0022
            Message 5 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008
              Doug
              The wind sensor must to is in a open area 30 feets about from
              ground.
              Rain sensor must to is a open area like roof ,or ground but open
              around .
              And temp/hum sensor i recomend you to build or to buy a stevenson
              screnn with wood or a fan radiation shield with plastic dishes ,and
              you put the temp/hum sensor inside

              Best regards from Greece
              Dimitris
              http://www.geocities.com/meteo19671967

              <Doug.Leppard@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the answers.
              >

              > I figured to really do something you had to invest in a Davis which
              > right now is out of the question. But with a La Crosse at $100
              (Amazon)
              > or WMR968 at $200. The extra $100 might be worth it for the
              WMR968 if
              > the wireless works well and La Crosse doesn't. But $200 is at my
              upper
              > end. Any last input on which one?
              >

              > Questions arise like placement of sensors, are there links that
              makes
              > suggestions on placement?
              >

              > Doug Leppard
              > Global ConneXion Director
              > Global Technology Office
              > Campus Crusade for Christ International
              > Doug.Leppard@...
              >
              > ________________________________

            • Jon Golubiewski
              Message 6 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008
                Hi Doug,

                When I'm looking at products, I always review the owners manuals if available.  It gives you a good feel for the product and the "finer" details that you don't want to be disappointed by once you purchase it. (You mean you need to buy this extra? or It only shows Indoor or Outdoor temp on this line? etc...) Looks Like a great price for either of them, though!  Happy ordering!  And happy Weather reporting! :-)

                Jon G.

                La Crosse
                http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2317/index.php

                WMR968
                http://www2.oregonscientific.com/shop/product.asp?cid=5&scid=84&pid=83

              • Greggo
                Message 7 of 22 , Aug 31, 2008
                  This link will explain about weather station operation and sensor placement:

                  http://mywebpages.comcast.net/dshelms/CWOP_Guide.pdf

                  Doug.Leppard@ ccci.org

                  <wuhu_software@ ...> wrote:

                  > Doug,
                  >
                  > Welcome to the group.
                  >
                  > Here is an old post I made couple of years ago:
                  >
                  > http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ wuhu_software_ group/message/ 4068
                  >
                  > The WS-2308 is identical to the WS-2317 except for the console
                  sytling
                  > (same sensors, etc).
                  >
                  > The WS-2316 is about the same but it has a cup-style wind sensor
                  rather
                  > than the impeller type used on most La Crosse stations.
                  >
                  > Since the last post, the WMR-100 is new (Oregon Scientific) and the
                  > Honeywell weather station.
                  >
                  > All in all, my estimate is that the Davis is the best consumer grade
                  > station out there, but it is also the most expensive ($500 or so).
                  >
                  > We had a few discussions about creating a "open-source" weather
                  station
                  > using a PIC controller to collect data from weather sensors. I am
                  not
                  > sure if you are in to the PICs, but that might be an interesting
                  > project. The idea behind the project was to create an accurate,
                  > affordable, real-time weather station using available parts on the
                  > market (like the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor).
                  >
                  > Anyhow, if you have any questions, feel free to post them.
                  >

                  > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Doug Leppard
                  > <Doug.Leppard@ > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I have always wanted to do this but time and money was always the
                  > issue.
                  > > What made the difference is the cheapness of the ws-2317.
                  > >

                  > > I would like to interact with someone personally before the final
                  > jump.
                  > > Is there someone out there willing to talk to me via the phone?
                  > >

                  > > My background:
                  > >

                  > > BS in Electronic Engineering
                  > >
                  > > Director web software group
                  > >
                  > > Hobbies
                  > >
                  > > Corvettes (1986)
                  > >
                  > > Robotics (lead engineer for FIRST robotics team 1902)
                  > >
                  > > Elder at my church (UPC-Orlando. com)
                  > >
                  > > I know nothing about weather
                  > >
                  > > Live in Orlando that is why I am interested in weather
                  > >
                  > > If you are interested in interacting with me personally before I
                  make
                  > > the plunge email my hotmail account dougleppard@ or
                  > > Doug.Leppard@
                  > >
                  > > BTW I did search the files section and posts for newbie
                  information
                  > > before sending this.
                  > >
                  > > Doug Leppard
                  > > Global ConneXion Director
                  > > Global Technology Office
                  > > Campus Crusade for Christ International
                  > > Doug.Leppard@

                • Doug Leppard
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008

                    The guide is loaded with info, almost too much for me.

                    <wuhu_software@ ...> wrote:

                    > Doug,
                    >
                    > Welcome to the group.
                    >
                    > Here is an old post I made couple of years ago:
                    >
                    > http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ wuhu_software_ group/message/ 4068
                    >
                    > The WS-2308 is identical to the WS-2317 except for the console
                    sytling
                    > (same sensors, etc).
                    >
                    > The WS-2316 is about the same but it has a cup-style wind sensor
                    rather
                    > than the impeller type used on most La Crosse stations.
                    >
                    > Since the last post, the WMR-100 is new (Oregon Scientific) and the
                    > Honeywell weather station.
                    >
                    > All in all, my estimate is that the Davis is the best consumer grade
                    > station out there, but it is also the most expensive ($500 or so).
                    >
                    > We had a few discussions about creating a "open-source" weather
                    station
                    > using a PIC controller to collect data from weather sensors. I am
                    not
                    > sure if you are in to the PICs, but that might be an interesting
                    > project. The idea behind the project was to create an accurate,
                    > affordable, real-time weather station using available parts on the
                    > market (like the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor).
                    >
                    > Anyhow, if you have any questions, feel free to post them.
                    >

                    > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Doug Leppard
                    > <Doug.Leppard@ > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have always wanted to do this but time and money was always the
                    > issue.
                    > > What made the difference is the cheapness of the ws-2317.
                    > >

                    > > I would like to interact with someone personally before the final
                    > jump.
                    > > Is there someone out there willing to talk to me via the phone?
                    > >

                    > > My background:
                    > >

                    > > BS in Electronic Engineering
                    > >
                    > > Director web software group
                    > >
                    > > Hobbies
                    > >
                    > > Corvettes (1986)
                    > >
                    > > Robotics (lead engineer for FIRST robotics team 1902)
                    > >
                    > > Elder at my church (UPC-Orlando. com)
                    > >
                    > > I know nothing about weather
                    > >
                    > > Live in Orlando that is why I am interested in weather
                    > >
                    > > If you are interested in interacting with me personally before I
                    make
                    > > the plunge email my hotmail account dougleppard@ or
                    > > Doug.Leppard@
                    > >
                    > > BTW I did search the files section and posts for newbie
                    information
                    > > before sending this.
                    > >
                    > > Doug Leppard
                    > > Global ConneXion Director
                    > > Global Technology Office
                    > > Campus Crusade for Christ International
                    > > Doug.Leppard@

                  • Greggo

                      <wuhu_software@ ...> wrote:

                      > Doug,
                      >
                      > Welcome to the group.
                      >
                      > Here is an old post I made couple of years ago:
                      >
                      > http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ wuhu_software_ group/message/ 4068
                      >
                      > The WS-2308 is identical to the WS-2317 except for the console
                      sytling
                      > (same sensors, etc).
                      >
                      > The WS-2316 is about the same but it has a cup-style wind sensor
                      rather
                      > than the impeller type used on most La Crosse stations.
                      >
                      > Since the last post, the WMR-100 is new (Oregon Scientific) and the
                      > Honeywell weather station.
                      >
                      > All in all, my estimate is that the Davis is the best consumer grade
                      > station out there, but it is also the most expensive ($500 or so).
                      >
                      > We had a few discussions about creating a "open-source" weather
                      station
                      > using a PIC controller to collect data from weather sensors. I am
                      not
                      > sure if you are in to the PICs, but that might be an interesting
                      > project. The idea behind the project was to create an accurate,
                      > affordable, real-time weather station using available parts on the
                      > market (like the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor).
                      >
                      > Anyhow, if you have any questions, feel free to post them.
                      >

                      > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Doug Leppard
                      > <Doug.Leppard@ > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have always wanted to do this but time and money was always the
                      > issue.
                      > > What made the difference is the cheapness of the ws-2317.
                      > >

                      > > I would like to interact with someone personally before the final
                      > jump.
                      > > Is there someone out there willing to talk to me via the phone?
                      > >

                      > > My background:
                      > >

                      > > BS in Electronic Engineering
                      > >
                      > > Director web software group
                      > >
                      > > Hobbies
                      > >
                      > > Corvettes (1986)
                      > >
                      > > Robotics (lead engineer for FIRST robotics team 1902)
                      > >
                      > > Elder at my church (UPC-Orlando. com)
                      > >
                      > > I know nothing about weather
                      > >
                      > > Live in Orlando that is why I am interested in weather
                      > >
                      > > If you are interested in interacting with me personally before I
                      make
                      > > the plunge email my hotmail account dougleppard@ or
                      > > Doug.Leppard@
                      > >
                      > > BTW I did search the files section and posts for newbie
                      information
                      > > before sending this.
                      > >
                      > > Doug Leppard
                      > > Global ConneXion Director
                      > > Global Technology Office
                      > > Campus Crusade for Christ International
                      > > Doug.Leppard@

                    • Michael Detwiler
                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 1, 2008

                        Hi Doug:

                        There are several good sites on the web about 'siting' your instruments.  We'll be happy to provide the proper links to get you going.  Either way you go on the weather stations, I think you'll find this hobby rewarding! :)

                        ~Michael

                        Check Out My Weather Blog Exclusively At:
                        www.cookevilleweatherguy.com

                        Personal Weather Station Reporting To:
                        WU: KTNCOOKE10
                        CWOP: CW6361
                        HAMWEATHER: COOKEVILLE

                        CoCoRaHS County Coordinator
                        SKYARN Trained Storm Spotter

                        The Weather Guy

                        &uarr; Grab this Headline Animator

                        <wuhu_software@ ...> wrote:

                        > Doug,
                        >
                        > Welcome to the group.
                        >
                        > Here is an old post I made couple of years ago:
                        >
                        > http://tech. groups.yahoo. com/group/ wuhu_software_ group/message/
                        4068

                        > The WS-2308 is identical to the WS-2317 except for the console
                        sytling
                        > (same sensors, etc).
                        >
                        > The WS-2316 is about the same but it has a cup-style wind sensor
                        rather
                        > than the impeller type used on most La Crosse stations.
                        >
                        > Since the last post, the WMR-100 is new (Oregon Scientific) and the
                        > Honeywell weather station.
                        >
                        > All in all, my estimate is that the Davis is the best consumer grade
                        > station out there, but it is also the most expensive ($500 or so).
                        >
                        > We had a few discussions about creating a "open-source" weather
                        station
                        > using a PIC controller to collect data from weather sensors. I am
                        not
                        > sure if you are in to the PICs, but that might be an interesting
                        > project. The idea behind the project was to create an accurate,
                        > affordable, real-time weather station using available parts on
                        the
                        > market (like the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor).
                        >
                        > Anyhow, if you have any questions, feel free to post them.
                        >

                        > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com, Doug Leppard
                        > <Doug.Leppard@ > wrote:
                        > >
                        > > I have always wanted to do this but time and money was always the
                        > issue.
                        > > What made the difference is the cheapness of the ws-2317.
                        > >

                        > > I would like to interact with someone personally before the final
                        > jump.
                        > > Is there someone out there willing to talk to me via the phone?
                        > >

                        > > My background:
                        > >

                        > > BS in Electronic Engineering

                        Director web software group

                        > > Hobbies
                        > >
                        > > Corvettes (1986)
                        > >
                        > > Robotics (lead engineer for FIRST robotics team 1902)
                        > >
                        > > Elder at my church (UPC-Orlando. com)
                        > >
                        > > I know nothing about weather
                        > >
                        > > Live in Orlando that is why I am interested in weather
                        > >
                        > > If you are interested in interacting with me personally before I
                        make
                        > > the plunge email my hotmail account dougleppard@ or
                        > > Doug.Leppard@
                        > >
                        > > BTW I did search the files section and posts for newbie
                        information
                        > > before sending this.
                        > >
                        > > Doug Leppard
                        > > Global ConneXion Director
                        > > Global Technology Office
                        > > Campus Crusade for Christ International
                        > > Doug.Leppard@

                      • Doug Leppard
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 2, 2008

                          In an earlier message the comment below was made:

                          We had a few discussions about creating an "open-source" weather station
                          using a PIC controller to collect data from weather sensors. I am not
                          sure if you are in to the PICs, but that might be an interesting
                          project. The idea behind the project was to create an accurate,
                          affordable, real-time weather station using available parts on the
                          market (like the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor).

                          I think this is very doable.  I am part of a very large robotics list group and I believe there are many that may be interested to be part of this open source weather station.

                          If this group could come up with a very concise thoughts on what this open source project would look like, I would be happy to introduce it to the robotics group who would have no problem with coming up with the technology.  But it would take the weather group to define the problem and the robotics engineers to work on the technology.  Some on the group would take the information from the open source and make kits out of it.

                          Let me know what you want me to do.

                          BTW I did order the WS-2317 as two more hurricanes head my way here in Florida .

                          Doug Leppard
                          Global ConneXion Director
                          Global Technology Office
                          Campus Crusade for Christ International
                          Doug.Leppard@...

                        • Rich Allen
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 2, 2008
                            There was a very good series of articles recently in Nuts and Volts
                            magazine detailing a DIY weather station. I believe the author has the
                            articles on his web site for anyone to use now but I don't have the URL
                            off hand. I can find and post it if there's a desire.

                            Rich Allen

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 2, 2008
                              I have seen a few DIY articles myself. The main idea that we were
                              kicking around (myself and Jon Golubieski) was to use off the shelf
                              inexpensive parts to construct the weather station. This would save a
                              lot of time of energy over attempting to construct your own station and
                              console.

                              A few other requirements are:

                              1) Real-time. There is no sense producing a custom weather station when
                              you can buy a complete La Crosse for under $80.

                              2) Accurate. The station sensors would need to be better than the low
                              end stations and comparable (if not better) than a Davis VP.

                              3) Logging. It would need to support PC-less operation using on board
                              memory. The greater the logging capability the better.

                              4) Expandable. Users should be able to add whatever sensors they want in
                              the future like UV, solar radiation, multiple temperature and humidity
                              sensors.

                              5) Wireless capability. Ideally the PIC controller could have it's own
                              Wifi transceiver. If it has Wifi, it might be able to upload directly to
                              weather severs without the need for a PC. There is a unit out there that
                              can do this with existing weather consoles. I forget the name of it but
                              can find it if you are interested. They use an open source router to do
                              this.

                              ---

                              Inexpensive off the shelf sensors:

                              ---

                              Wind direction sensor:

                              http://www.inspeed.com/wind_speed_direction/Vane.asp

                              Interface: 3 wire flying leads. Supply voltage 4.5 to 5.5 VDC
                              Current 15 mA typical Output 5% to 95% of input voltage.

                              ---

                              Wind speed sensor:

                              http://www.inspeed.com/anemometers/Vortex_Wind_Sensor.asp

                              Interface:

                              Simply reed switch. 1 pulse per rotation. 2.5 mph per Hz.

                              ---

                              La Crosse TX-10 Rain Sensor:

                              http://www.greatbigoutlet.com/shopexd.asp?id=157

                              Simple reed switch. 1 pulse per tip.

                              ---

                              We had not picked out a barometer. It might be a challenge to find a
                              good one with .01 Inhg accuracy. They are not cheap from what I have
                              seen.

                              The thought was to use a PIC controller with a few digital inputs (wind
                              speed sensor, rain bucket) and several 0-5V inputs (wind direction,
                              barometer, temperature, humidity).

                              Possible alternative sensors would be solar radiation and UV (expensive
                              sensors from what I have seen).

                              The PIC controller would probably be something like this:

                              http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=8627

                              Sparksfun has all kinds of small PIC boards. That one is nice because it
                              has plenty of flash (for data logging) and a USB interface to the P/C.
                              It says it has 10 GPIO (general purpose I/O, a mix of analog and
                              digitals).

                              You might touch base with Jon ("Jon Golubiewski" <nh4x4jeep@...>)
                              to see if he has been making any progress with the project.

                              I can help out with the design, especially where data logging and the
                              interface to the PC.

                              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Allen <rico@...> wrote:

                              > There was a very good series of articles recently in Nuts and Volts
                              > magazine detailing a DIY weather station. I believe the author has
                              the
                              > articles on his web site for anyone to use now but I don't have the
                              URL
                              > off hand. I can find and post it if there's a desire.
                              >
                              > Rich Allen
                              >

                              > Doug Leppard wrote:
                              > > In an earlier message the comment below was made:
                              > >

                              > > We had a few discussions about creating an "open-source" weather
                              station
                              > > using a PIC controller to collect data from weather sensors. I am
                              not
                              > > sure if you are in to the PICs, but that might be an interesting
                              > > project. The idea behind the project was to create an accurate,
                              > > affordable, real-time weather station using available parts on the
                              > > market (like the Inspeed Vortex wind sensor).
                              > >
                              > > I think this is very doable. I am part of a very large robotics
                              list
                              > > group and I believe there are many that may be interested to be part
                              of
                              > > this open source weather station.
                              > >

                              > > If this group could come up with a very concise thoughts on what
                              this
                              > > open source project would look like, I would be happy to introduce
                              it to
                              > > the robotics group who would have no problem with coming up with the
                              > > technology. But it would take the weather group to define the
                              problem
                              > > and the robotics engineers to work on the technology. Some on the
                              group
                              > > would take the information from the open source and make kits out of
                              it.

                              > > Let me know what you want me to do.
                              > >

                              > > BTW I did order the WS-2317 as two more hurricanes head my way here
                              in
                              > > Florida.
                              > >
                              > > /*/Doug Leppard/*/*
                              > > **G*lobal *C*onne*X*ion Director
                              > > **Global Technology Office**
                              > > Campus Crusade for Christ International
                              > > Doug.Leppard@... <mailto:Doug.Leppard@...

                            • alrjr2001
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 2, 2008
                                Is this the article? It looks interesting:

                                http://www.kronosrobotics.com/Projects/WirelessWeather.shtml

                                Arnold In The Smokies
                                DW1121

                                Message 15 of 22 , Sep 3, 2008
                                  That's the one. :) The final cost was quite a bit more than what you
                                  would pay for a Lacrosse, but accuracy costs money so you'll have to
                                  decide which is more important. The mesh network is a really nice
                                  solution if you need to locate sensors in many locations around your
                                  property.

                                  Rich Allen

                                • David Lipper
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Sep 3, 2008
                                    Hello, I am a happy WUHU user. I have a couple of (very minor) nits,
                                    regarding version 1.0.216.56:

                                    1) in the Action/Alarm Configuration screen: "Enable Audible Alerts" is
                                    misspelled;
                                    2) I believe the "Rate (Hr)" figure is calculated over the entire period
                                    selected.
                                    This is a bit misleading, since the period can be quite large (e.g.
                                    72 hours).
                                    I think it would be more intuitive if the hourly rate of change
                                    was based on the most recent hour, regardless of the period.
                                    This has a bearing on Next Hour and 3-Hour projections, as well.

                                    It may be that I am missing something regarding this column--which is
                                    quite possible.
                                  • M. A.P
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Sep 4, 2008
                                      I seem to have missed this update anouncement  (I see now x.58) - was the notice posted to this forum? If not what is the notification scheme?

                                      -Mike

                                      To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Sep 5, 2008
                                        I think Audible is the correct spelling?

                                        On #2, the rate calculations are not based on the entire span unless
                                        the variable was increasing or decreasing over the entire span.

                                        It uses the more recent low or high to peform the rate calculations.
                                        The low or high must be of a certain "age" before it is considered.
                                        This prevents the reporting of high rates of change (like in the
                                        case of temperature).

                                        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, David Lipper

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Sep 5, 2008
                                          In general I announce the releases. I was testing with a few users
                                          before the release was announced.

                                          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "M. A.P" <m_a_p@...>
                                          wrote:

                                          > I seem to have missed this update anouncement (I see now x.58) -
                                          was the notice posted to this forum? If not what is the notification
                                          scheme?

                                          > -Mike
                                          >

                                          > To: wuhu_software_group@...: glenvilleweather@...: Wed, 3 Sep 2008
                                          23:04:32 -0400Subject: [wuhu_software_group] A couple of WUHU
                                          requests

                                          > Hello, I am a happy WUHU user. I have a couple of (very minor)
                                          nits,regarding version 1.0.216.56:1) in the Action/Alarm
                                          Configuration screen: "Enable Audible Alerts" is misspelled;2) I
                                          believe the "Rate (Hr)" figure is calculated over the entire period
                                          selected.This is a bit misleading, since the period can be quite
                                          large (e.g. 72 hours).I think it would be more intuitive if the
                                          hourly rate of changewas based on the most recent hour, regardless
                                          of the period.This has a bearing on Next Hour and 3-Hour
                                          projections, as well.It may be that I am missing something regarding
                                          this column--which is quite possible.

                                          > Stay up to date on your PC, the Web, and your mobile phone with
                                          Windows Live.
                                          > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093185mrt/direct/01/

                                        • M. A.P
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Sep 5, 2008
                                            On version x.58 - Main Action/Alam Configuation screen shows: Enable Auidable Alerts (hope my spell checked doesn't fix this automatically)

                                            -Mike

                                            To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: wuhu_software@...
                                            Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 11:12:44 +0000
                                            Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: A couple of WUHU requests

                                            <glenvilleweather@ ...> wrote:

                                            > Hello, I am a happy WUHU user. I have a couple of (very minor)
                                            nits,
                                            > regarding version 1.0.216.56:
                                            >
                                            > 1) in the Action/Alarm Configuration screen: "Enable Audible
                                            Alerts" is
                                            > misspelled;
                                            > 2) I believe the "Rate (Hr)" figure is calculated over the entire
                                            period
                                            > selected.
                                            > This is a bit misleading, since the period can be quite large
                                            (e.g.
                                            > 72 hours).
                                            > I think it would be more intuitive if the hourly rate of
                                            change
                                            > was based on the most recent hour, regardless of the period.
                                            > This has a bearing on Next Hour and 3-Hour projections, as
                                            well.

                                            > It may be that I am missing something regarding this column--which
                                            is
                                            > quite possible.

                                          • Andrew B. Reese
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Sep 5, 2008
                                              1+ for audible.

                                              wrote:

                                              > On version x.58 - Main Action/Alam Configuation screen shows: Enable
                                              Auidable Alerts (hope my spell checked doesn't fix this automatically)

                                              > -Mike
                                              >

                                              > To: wuhu_software_group@...: wuhu_software@...: Fri, 5 Sep 2008
                                              11:12:44 +0000Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: A couple of WUHU
                                              requests

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Sep 5, 2008
                                                Ahhh, found it, fixed it.

                                                Thanks.

                                                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "M. A.P" <m_a_p@...> wrote:

                                                > On version x.58 - Main Action/Alam Configuation screen shows: Enable
                                                Auidable Alerts (hope my spell checked doesn't fix this automatically)

                                                > -Mike
                                                >

                                                > To: wuhu_software_group@...: wuhu_software@...: Fri, 5 Sep 2008
                                                11:12:44 +0000Subject: [wuhu_software_group] Re: A couple of WUHU requests

                                                > I think Audible is the correct spelling?On #2, the rate calculations
                                                are not based on the entire span unless the variable was increasing or
                                                decreasing over the entire span.It uses the more recent low or high to
                                                peform the rate calculations. The low or high must be of a certain
                                                "age" before it is considered. This prevents the reporting of high
                                                rates of change (like in the case of temperature).--- In
                                                wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, David Lipper <glenvilleweather@>
                                                wrote:>> Hello, I am a happy WUHU user. I have a couple of (very