Re: Latitude & Longitud

  • alrjr2001
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 12, 2008
      I just tried the summary link & it states my ID isnt registered which
      makes sense because the e-mail I received from CWOP stated to verify
      the location then e-mail them to complete the registration process. I
      just looked in the WUHU read me & theres a nice formula for converting
      decimal lat & long so I'll need to sit down & crunch a couple of
      numbers:-)

      Arnold In The Smokies

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jaye Ellen"
      <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:

      > I just used the CWOP 'My Summary' thingy and used my mouse to tell
      it where
      > my station is ... it gave me all the needed numbers ... hope this
      helps!

      > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM, alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@...> wrote:
      >
      > > OK guys who's the expert at converting Lat & Long to the Loran
      format
      > > for CWOP to map correctly? I searched the net high & low & couldnt
      > > find anything that made sense to me & the site that had the converter
      > > (Eagle) has changed.
      > > Thanks
      > > Arnold In The Smokies

    • Bob Tyszka
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 12, 2008
        You can convert DMS into DD.MM by taking your seconds divide by 60
        add you minutes divide by 60 and add your degrees to get decimal degree
        coordinates. To go from decimal degrees to DMS, subtract the degrees
        then multiply by 60 subtract the minutes multiply by 60 to get the seconds.

        Bob T.

        alrjr2001 wrote:

        > I just tried the summary link & it states my ID isnt registered which
        > makes sense because the e-mail I received from CWOP stated to verify
        > the location then e-mail them to complete the registration process. I
        > just looked in the WUHU read me & theres a nice formula for converting
        > decimal lat & long so I'll need to sit down & crunch a couple of
        > numbers:-)
        >
        > Arnold In The Smokies

        > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jaye Ellen"
        > <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I just used the CWOP 'My Summary' thingy and used my mouse to tell
        > it where
        > > my station is ... it gave me all the needed numbers ... hope this
        > helps!
        > >
        > > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM, alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > OK guys who's the expert at converting Lat & Long to the Loran
        > format
        > > > for CWOP to map correctly? I searched the net high & low & couldnt
        > > > find anything that made sense to me & the site that had the converter
        > > > (Eagle) has changed.
        > > > Thanks
        > > > Arnold In The Smokies

      • Jaye Ellen
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 12, 2008
          Bob, the problem is that it's not just DD.MM but CWOP needs LORAN numbers.  All I know about LORAN is that it ain't decimal, even though it's expressed decimally.  Oh, and the big planes used it during the Viet Nam fray ... like the C-5.  But what do I know?  I maintained radar, not nav equipment ...

          alrjr2001 wrote:

          > I just tried the summary link & it states my ID isnt registered which
          > makes sense because the e-mail I received from CWOP stated to verify
          > the location then e-mail them to complete the registration process. I
          > just looked in the WUHU read me & theres a nice formula for converting
          > decimal lat & long so I'll need to sit down & crunch a couple of
          > numbers:-)
          >
          > Arnold In The Smokies

          > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jaye Ellen"
          > <jaye.ellen@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I just used the CWOP 'My Summary' thingy and used my mouse to tell
          > it where
          > > my station is ... it gave me all the needed numbers ... hope this
          > helps!
          > >
          > > On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:08 PM, alrjr2001 <alrjr2001@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > > OK guys who's the expert at converting Lat & Long to the Loran
          > format
          > > > for CWOP to map correctly? I searched the net high & low & couldnt
          > > > find anything that made sense to me & the site that had the converter
          > > > (Eagle) has changed.
          > > > Thanks
          > > > Arnold In The Smokies

        • Bob Tyszka
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 12, 2008
            Jaye;

            Although I have never used LORAN, HIRAN, Transit and several other
            navigation syems, I have only used VOR and GPS. I have never heard of
            LORAN coordinates, as I understand it LORAN was a radio nav system that
            used the intersection of signals to determine your LAT/LONG. Let me see
            if I can find an old manual around somewhere.

            I use WUHU to send my data to CWOP and I input the decimal degree
            coordinates from a hand held GPS and it works fine. My station is
            CW9012 and it plots correctly on the CWOP map. So I would highly
            suggest trying the decimal degree format.

            Bob T.
            USAF Ret. Cartographic/Geodetic Officer

          • alrjr2001
            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 13, 2008
              I got it all sorted out - Thanks to all, I used the formula in the
              read me file which is the same as what Bob mentioned, this worked
              GREAT once I found correct coordinates for my area through
              http://acme.com/mapper/ the coordinates given by the Eagle replacement
              http://www.geocode.com/ were wrong by about 4 miles or so! Anyway I'm
              up & running though I apparently lost internet connectivity in the wee
              hours of the AM, something thats pops up now & then but is getting
              worse, I think my cable modem is dying as if I do a reset of the modem
              I'm back online.

              Arnold In The Smokies

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@...>

            • CMOwen@att.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 13, 2008
                Hey, Arnold, What your ID?

                -------------- Original message from "alrjr2001" <alrjr2001@...>: --------------

              • CMOwen@att.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 13, 2008
                  Let's try this in English this time... Arnold, what is your Station ID? I have not seen a new station come online in the area yet.

                  Charles
                  CW4870

                  wrote:

                  > Jaye;
                  >
                  > Although I have never used LORAN, HIRAN, Transit and several other
                  > navigation syems, I have only used VOR and GPS. I have never heard of
                  > LORAN coordinates, as I understand it LORAN was a radio nav system that
                  > used the intersection of signals to determine your LAT/LONG. Let me see
                  > if I can find an old manual around somewhere.
                  >
                  > I use WUHU to send my data to CWOP and I input the decimal degree
                  > coordinates from a hand held GPS and it works fine. My station is
                  > CW9012 and it plots correctly on the CWOP map. So I would highly
                  > suggest trying the decimal degree format.
                  >
                  > Bob T.
                  > USAF Ret. Cartographic/ Geodetic Officer
                  >
                  > Jaye Ellen wrote:
                  > > Bob, the problem is that it's not just DD.MM <http://DD.MM> but CWOP
                  > > needs LORAN numbers. All I know about LORAN is that it ain't
                  decimal,
                  > > even though it's expressed decimally. Oh, and the big planes used it
                  > > during the Viet Nam fray ... like the C-5. But what do I know? I
                  > > maintained radar, not nav equipment ...
                  > >

                  > > On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@.. .
                  > > <mailto:baluncru@ ...>> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > You can convert DMS into DD.MM <http://dd.mm/> by taking your
                  > > seconds divide by 60
                  > > add you minutes divide by 60 and add your degrees to get decimal
                  > > degree
                  > > coordinates. To go from decimal degrees to DMS, subtract the
                  degrees
                  > > then multiply by 60 subtract the minutes multiply by 60 to get the
                  > > seconds.
                  > >
                  > > Bob T.
                  > >
                  > > alrjr2001 wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I just tried the summary link & it states my ID isnt registered
                  > > which
                  > > > makes sense because the e-mail I received from CWOP stated
                  to verify
                  > > > the location then e-mail them to complete the registration
                  > > process. I
                  > > > just looked in the WUHU read me & theres a nice formula for
                  > > converting
                  > > > decimal lat & long so I'll need to sit down & crunch a couple of
                  > > > numbers:-)
                  > > >
                  > > > Arnold In The Smokies
                  > > >
                  > > > --- In wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
                  > > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%40yahoogro ups.com>
                  > > > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%40yahoogro ups.com
                  > > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%2540yahoog roups.com> >, "Jaye Ellen"

                  > > > it where
                  hope this
                  > > > helps!

                  Loran
                  > > > format
                  > > couldnt
                  > > converter

                • alrjr2001
                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 13, 2008
                    Hi Charles - My ID is DW1121, it should be showing up in the listings
                    but I guess the data wont really be fully active until next weeks
                    update according to the e-mail I got from CWOP.

                    Arnold In The Smokies
                    DW1121

                    --------------

                    > I got it all sorted out - Thanks to all, I used the formula in the
                    > read me file which is the same as what Bob mentioned, this worked
                    > GREAT once I found correct coordinates for my area through
                    > http://acme.com/mapper/ the coordinates given by the Eagle replacement
                    > http://www.geocode.com/ were wrong by about 4 miles or so! Anyway I'm
                    > up & running though I apparently lost internet connectivity in the wee
                    > hours of the AM, something thats pops up now & then but is getting
                    > worse, I think my cable modem is dying as if I do a reset of the modem
                    > I'm back online.
                    >
                    > Arnold In The Smokies
                    >
                    > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Jaye;
                    > >
                    > > Although I have never used LORAN, HIRAN, Transit and several other
                    > > navigation syems, I have only used VOR and GPS. I have never heard of
                    > > LORAN coordinates, as I understand it LORAN was a radio nav system
                    that
                    > > used the intersection of signals to determine your LAT/LONG. Let
                    me see
                    > > if I can find an old manual around somewhere.
                    > >
                    > > I use WUHU to send my data to CWOP and I input the decimal degree
                    > > coordinates from a hand held GPS and it works fine. My station is
                    > > CW9012 and it plots correctly on the CWOP map. So I would highly
                    > > suggest trying the decimal degree format.
                    > >
                    > > Bob T.
                    > > USAF Ret. Cartographic/Geodetic Officer
                    > >
                    > > Jaye Ellen wrote:
                    > > > Bob, the problem is that it's not just DD.MM <http://DD.MM> but
                    CWOP
                    > > > needs LORAN numbers. All I know about LORAN is that it ain't
                    > decimal,
                    > > > even though it's expressed decimally. Oh, and the big planes
                    used it
                    > > > during the Viet Nam fray ... like the C-5. But what do I know? I
                    > > > maintained radar, not nav equipment ...
                    > > >

                    > > > On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 7:07 PM, Bob Tyszka <baluncru@
                    > > > <mailto:baluncru@>> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > You can convert DMS into DD.MM <http://dd.mm/> by taking your
                    > > > seconds divide by 60
                    > > > add you minutes divide by 60 and add your degrees to get decimal
                    > > > degree
                    > > > coordinates. To go from decimal degrees to DMS, subtract the
                    > degrees
                    > > > then multiply by 60 subtract the minutes multiply by 60 to get the
                    > > > seconds.
                    > > >
                    > > > Bob T.

                    > > > which
                    > to verify
                    > > > process. I
                    > > > converting

                    > > > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > > > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%2540yahoogroups.com>>, "Jaye Ellen"

                    > to tell
                    > hope this

                    > Loran
                    > > > couldnt
                    > > > converter

                  • Charles M. Owen
                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 15, 2008

                      Oh! I see you near Murphy! I was looking for you more toward Sevierville/Asheville line.

                      http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/wxpage.cgi?call=DW1121&last=12

                      Charles

                      ------------ --

                      href="http://DD.MM">http://DD.MM> but

                      href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com
                      > > > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%40yahoogro ups.com>
                      > > > <mailto:wuhu_ software_ group%2540yahoog roups.com> >,
                      "Jaye Ellen"

                      > to tell
                      > hope this

                      Long to the