Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Heads up and Macromedia CPU utilization on some machines.

  • Alan Steremberg
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1 1:12 PM
      Hi,

      Can you help me debug this? We have gotten a number of complaints in our support box about this problem, but it is hard to track down. I have tested the feature on Mac/Windows XP on Firefox 1.0/1.5/IE 6.0/Safari

      What web browser are you using, are you running out of memory? how much memory / processor do you have?

      Alan

      On 3/1/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

      Alan,

      I guess it would be the forecast page?

      http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=48116

      Thanks.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg" <alans@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > Are you on the weather station page of the forecast page? Please send me a
      > URL.
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Alan
      >

      > On 3/1/06, wuhu_software wuhu_software@... wrote:
      > >
      > > WU,
      > >
      > > When I viewed the main page showing current weather conditions, the
      > > user interface was un-responsive and jerky when I attempted to scroll
      > > the screen. The CPU utilization was going to 100%.
      > >
      > > I suspected I had a problem on this machine (Windows 2000) when
      > > viewing an unrelated page in the past.
      > >
      > > Today, I attempted to upgrade the MM player at the Macromedia site.
      > >
      > > Although it says it installed, it did not improve the peformance back
      > > at the current conditions page.!
      > >
      > > I found that it was necessary to remove the Macromedia player in
      > > Add/Remove programs, then re-install.
      > >
      > > After that installation, it needed to reboot the computer.
      > >
      > > I am happy to report that the CPU utilization is fine now.
      > >
      > > If you do find user's complaining about the "herky-jerky" perfomance
      > > of the page, you might want to give them that recommendation.
      > >
      > > Thanks.

      > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

      > > WUHU! Downloa d page:

      > > on the web.

      > > Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.
      > >

      > > ------------------------------
      > >

      > --

      > Alan Steremberg
      > Weather Underground
      > 415-543-5022 x 103
      > http://www.wunderground.com

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      WUHU Download page:
      http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

      Personal weather station Weather stations Standard edition

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      --
      Alan Steremberg
      Weather Underground
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1 2:31 PM
        I am also having the CPU Usage spike...up to 50% at times, usually
        hovering around 20%.

        Win XP SP2, IE v6.0
        1.73GHz, 1 GB RAM

        Good luck with the debug.
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1 2:56 PM
          Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer v6.0.2800.1106 - Latest for 2000
          Processor: AMD, 900Mhz
          Memory: 512MB, 235MB free.
          Windows 2000 - Update to date will all service packs.
          Macromedia - New install this morning.

          About every 2 seconds, processor spikes to 100% of the processor for
          about 1/2 second to one second in duration. When processor is at 100%
          the scrolling is locked up.

          It might just be too much for the machine to handle during all of the
          on screen updates.

          <alans@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Can you help me debug this? We have gotten a number of complaints
          in our
          > support box about this problem, but it is hard to track down. I
          have tested
          > the feature on Mac/Windows XP on Firefox 1.0/1.5/IE 6.0/Safari
          >
          > What web browser are you using, are you running out of memory? how
          much
          > memory / processor do you have?
          >
          > Alan
          >

          > On 3/1/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Alan,
          > >
          > > I guess it would be the forecast page?
          > >
          > > http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?
          query=48116

          > > Thanks.
          > >

          > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
          <alans@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hi,
          > > >
          > > > Are you on the weather station page of the forecast page?
          Please send me
          > > > URL.
          > > >
          > > > Thanks,
          > > >
          > > > Alan

          when

          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
          +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
          > > Weather
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
          s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g>
          > > Standard
          > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
          s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw

          > > hoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group>"

          subject=Unsubscribe>

          > > > --
          > >
          > > > Alan Steremberg
          > > > Weather Underground
          > > > 415-543-5022 x 103
          > > > http://www.wunderground.com

          > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

          > > WUHU Download page:

          t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
          +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
          Weather
          > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
          s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
          > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
          t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
          s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
          _group>"

          unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

          > > ------------------------------
          > >

          > --
          > Alan Steremberg
          > Weather Underground
          > 415-543-5022 x 103
          > http://www.wunderground.com

        • Brian Harris
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1 3:25 PM
            HI,

            I downloaded the where'sjames webcam software I have it uploading to my
            webpage in still pics, but I'm wanting it still pics but moving stills.
            Well I want it exactly the way it is on
            http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/ Can someone please tell me the
            steps in doing this I cant figure it out!!

            Thanks

          • Alan Steremberg
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1 4:05 PM
              Hi,

              We aren't using flash, we are using javascript and the XMLHTTP object in IE.  Interesting, maybe I should ramp back the update time or something.

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1 4:05 PM
                bharris,

                Since you have the FTP working you are 1/2 there, maybe...

                You can try using the Publish settings I have listed here:

                http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/Demos/WheresJames.htm

                Beware, for whatever reason, I had to remove codecs and re-install
                then the software started working. Whether it was the removal of a
                codec or the re-installation that fixed it, I am not sure. It was
                pretty frustrating getting it setup.

                Let me know if you get it running.

                Thanks.

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Brian Harris

                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1 4:06 PM
                  Let me know what I can do.

                  I will test it after you modify.

                  Is there anything I can check/update on this machine?

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1 4:19 PM
                    I have a 3200 AMD Athlon64 with 512 mb DDR SDRAM using Windows XP & IE
                    6.0 with all the latest updates.
                    With Heavyweather on and looking at thw WU page. When I scroll I go up
                    to 100% CPU Usage. Not scrolling.
                    IO just turned Heavy weather off and it still goes to 100%.
                    May be strange, but the faster I scroll the less CPU usage.
                    It never stops or freezes though.
                    Memory usage does not seem to change.

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1 4:20 PM
                      The delay is odd...

                      I tried an XP 2.5Ghz (XP, latest everything) and a Dual Core Xeon 1.5
                      GHz (Windows 2000, latest everything), and on both of those systems
                      there is this annoying 1/4 to 1/2 second delay on both machines. You
                      can notice it if you constantly scroll up and down until the delay hits
                      (continue to attempt to scroll when it is locked up).

                      Although the Xeon machine is spiking up to 30% or so, it never goes to
                      100%.
                    • phantomodopera
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 1 4:35 PM
                        Browser IE 6.0.29 SP2
                        Processor Intel P4 3.0
                        Mem 1 gig
                        Win XP SP2

                        ( cpu and mem usage is for IExplorer, not all processes - I hope
                        that's what you were looking for)
                        MemUsage 20,372
                        Non Scrolling about 14% CPU usage apx 1 out of 3 seconds
                        Scrolling avg between 22%-35% --- Smooth
                        *****************************

                        Browser Same as above
                        Processor AMD Duron 756
                        Mem 512
                        Win XP SP2

                        MemUsage 26,660k
                        Non Scrolling about 3% CPU usage Constant
                        Scrolling Avg between 70%-90% ( faster scroll= higher usage) ---
                        Smooth
                        *******************************

                        Browser AOL Explorer Browser v1.2.5.16 ( Not signed on through AOL)
                        Processor Same AMD computer as above
                        Mem 512
                        Win XP SP2

                        MemUsage 35,764
                        Non Scrolling about AVG 30% CPU constantly
                        Scrolling Avg between 75%-85% ( faster scroll= higher usage) ---
                        Jerky

                        <alans@...> wrote:

                        > Hi,
                        >
                        > Can you help me debug this? We have gotten a number of complaints
                        in our
                        > support box about this problem, but it is hard to track down. I
                        have tested
                        > the feature on Mac/Windows XP on Firefox 1.0/1.5/IE 6.0/Safari
                        >
                        > What web browser are you using, are you running out of memory? how
                        much
                        > memory / processor do you have?
                        >
                        > Alan

                      • Brian Harris
                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 2 3:35 PM
                          I have everything in wheresjames correct with the settings in the demo,
                          but it never tries to upload! If I change it to a jpg file it will
                          upload. I have tried unistalling and reinstalling but doesn't help. Any
                          Ideas?? By the way, what kind of webcam do you have?

                          Thanks

                          KARHARTM1

                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 2 5:42 PM
                            bharris,

                            I know the frustration, it took me a long time to have the thing
                            magically start working after I deleted some codecs then re-installed.

                            Did you try looking to see what codecs are installed? I removed
                            anything that I did not need. I read somewhere on a forum (there is a
                            forum off his page) that it might have something to do with some
                            offending codec. I might have also re-installed the codecs from MS.

                            I have a cheap-o creative web cam, nothing special.

                            I think the problem with the software has nothing to do with the cam
                            but rather the other codecs on the machine.

                            If I find any new info, I will let you know.