Re: error 217

  • alrjr2001
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
      Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this program were
      running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
      changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
      laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT fault
      the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
      vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
      that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.

      Arnold In The Smokies

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Waltermire"

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
        Arnold,

        Ok, I did not mean for this post to turn in to a novel, but here it
        goes...

        The sad story to this whole runtime error (in turn causing
        installation errors) is the following.

        I bought this TeeChart ActiveX object back in 98-99' or so when the
        company was first starting out (Steema Software, Catalonia, Spain). It
        was a new product and it had bugs. It was touted on the Microsoft
        vendor site as one of the top ActiveX offerings available at that
        time. This was back when Microsoft was still pushing the ActiveX
        technology (aka OLE - Object linking and embedding, aka VB OCX, aka
        COM). Now MS has all but abandoned COM but they supports it.

        When I first created an application implementing the control, this bug
        quickly cropped up and I reported it. I was told to define the printer
        to avoid the problem. That allowed me to at least continue
        development. I assumed that a free upgrade would be forthcoming. I
        asked for a patch and was told that it would be in the next release.
        Months passed by before the next release was available.

        Of course the next release required an upgrade fee.

        Since that time, Teechart has become very popular and has grown more
        much more expensive. I believe the upgrade fee for existing customers
        is around $150-$250. The fee is based on how out of date your version is.

        It is very disappointing to me that a software company can release
        such a glaring bug to it's customers then put them on hold until the
        next release of the software, then demand more money to get the
        upgrade to get the patch. That is what happens when a software
        companies lose touch with their customer base as most do once they
        reach a certain size.

        Although Teechart is a pretty cool ActiveX object for drawing charts,
        I am hesitant to invest a red cent given the past behavior of the
        company. ActiveX is really a dead technology anyway so I probably will
        never upgrade.

        If an when I do port WUHU to another environment, there are several
        other packages that would be a viable alternative. Given that they
        screwed me over the first time, I will probably not even consider them
        for WUHU or any other project.

        I have spent hours trying to figure out a way around this issue by
        attempting to detect the printer before launching the Teechart object
        only to discover that Windows might have not fully loaded various
        drivers related to the printer, blah blah blah.

        So anyway this was an expensive lesson so far as my time is concerned.
        The time I have spent documenting problems, finding work-arounds, has
        far exceeded the cost of the original product, or even the cost of the
        latest offering.

        Lesson learned.

        So in the end you are correct that a component implemented using a
        different operating system probably would not have produced the
        miserable results I had experienced but that is what we have to work with.

        Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
        and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
        systems that we are forced to use.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
        <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

        > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this program were
        > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
        > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
        > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT fault
        > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
        > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
        > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.
        >
        > Arnold In The Smokies
        >
        > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Waltermire"
        > <jwaltermire@> wrote:
        > >
        > > I've been running Wuhu since April and it's been great. I started
        > > running 2.16-32 a couple of weeks ago now with no problems. Starting
        > > last night I'm getting error 217 on startup. I checked that my
        > > printers are still in control panel and they are. Any other ideas? I
        > > didn't change anything so that's the strange part.
        > >
        > > Jeff

      • Jeff Waltermire
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
          I've run countless Linux distros through the years starting in 1998.
          I've not found one to be all that stable running a gui. Stuff gets
          funky on me after a few weeks and things just stop working for some
          reason...kind of like Windows. Just my experience: not looking for a
          fight. I go back to TRS80 days then Commodores then DOS on Pcs and no
          I don't think we need to know command line stuff in this day and age.
          Ubuntu has brought linux a long ways but it still has to improve to
          see greater acceptance. I've played with Macs but I still hate Apple
          for selling sub-standard over-priced Apple IIe computers to schools
          that didn't know any better. Oh well. On to my problem with wuhu...

          I have added a delay up to 360 seconds in the dat file and now I get
          an error that says "Unable to open specified communications port.
          Make sure this port exists in the system and is not being used by
          another application like Heavyweather." It's on a physical comm 1
          port built into the computer (not a usb adapter) and there isn't any
          other software wanting it so I 'm not sure what it is having trouble
          with. It's weird that it's worked for months then all of a sudden it
          freaks out. When I click OK on the error then click start in wuhu it
          loads right up with no issue and starts uploading.

          I didn't pay attention. Is this version 216-32 running as a service?
          I may try to run it from a batch file (how I added a delay in
          previous version) if I have to with a delay in the batch file.

          Jeff

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
            Jeff,

            The current version is not running as a service.

            There have not been any major changes to the serial port handling in
            quite some time.

            Is this an XP machine that you are running?

            Did you install any software before you started having problems?
            Perhaps a new anti-virus or firewall program?

            I am at a loss as to why the serial port would not open on the first
            attempt.

            <jwaltermire@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > with.
            > >
            > > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
            > > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
            > > systems that we are forced to use.
            > >

            > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
            > > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this
            program were
            > > > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
            > > > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
            > > > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT
            fault
            > > > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
            > > > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
            > > > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.

          • alrjr2001
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
              I fully understand & have been sung by some poorly implemented new
              software in the past with my graphics business. It really turns on off
              when a company treats an early adopter poorly instead of helping out &
              gaining a customer for life! Unfortunately good customer service is
              hard to find these days but when I do experience it I make the parties
              that be know I sincerely appreciate it & believe me I appreciate what
              you've done in creating the WUHU product:-) Have you ever considered
              setting up a PayPal account for users to give a small donation if they
              like the product? That could help defray cosys of upgrades, etc.
              (though in this case I understand you not wanting to give Steema
              anything more!).

              Arnold In The Smokies

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                Arnold,

                Thanks for the suggestion.

                The newer Steema does have the ability to dump charts to graphic
                files, that would be a nice feature to have. That would allow you to
                have nice graphics on your personal website without turning it in to a
                major database or php project.

                Right now, I cannot see investing any more money in ActiveX stuff.
                Most companies do not offer the use of ActiveX and .Net under one
                license, so I cannot see spending the money.

                I would like to write a WUHU2 someday, using C#. There are a few nice
                packages for gauges and charts out there and they are pretty pricey.
                Not surprisingly, they are all about $600 or so. At that point I would
                need to take donations before creating the program or I would need to
                charge from the start and invest the money myself.

                The only other need for money would be access to new stations that
                need to be supported. So far I have been pretty lucky when
                implementing new station types when I do not have access to the equipment.

                <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > with.
                > >
                > > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
                > > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
                > > systems that we are forced to use.
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
                > > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this
                program were
                > > > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
                > > > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
                > > > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT
                fault
                > > > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
                > > > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
                > > > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.

              • Bob Tyszka
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                  I had a similar problem, the WUHU was running fine v-15 and 16, but
                  it would not communicate with the WS2308. Heavy Weather ran fine, but
                  did not communicate. After nearly two weeks of uninstalling and
                  reinstalling the software, firewalls and anti-virus and writing to
                  Oregon Scientific tech support, I started looking for software using Hot
                  Synch and similiar software. What I did find was that my UPS was using
                  the same com 1 port as WUHU. I went into Control Panels and turned off
                  the UPS and everything has been working great since then.

                  Bob T.

                  wuhu_software wrote:

> [...]
                  > > > The time I have spent documenting problems, finding work-arounds, has
                  > > > far exceeded the cost of the original product, or even the cost of the
                  > > > latest offering.
                  > > >
                  > > > Lesson learned.
                  > > >
                  > > > So in the end you are correct that a component implemented using a
                  > > > different operating system probably would not have produced the
                  > > > miserable results I had experienced but that is what we have to work
                  > > with.
                  > > >
                  > > > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
                  > > > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
                  > > > systems that we are forced to use.
                  > > >

                  > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "alrjr2001"

                  > program were
                  > fault

                  > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jeff Waltermire"

                • Rich Allen
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                    If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to help with a C# version of WUHU.
                    I make my living with C#. When I offered to help with the FTP code, I
                    was hoping you were already using C#, I haven't used C or C++ in over a
                    decade and I'm not all that unhappy about it. :) Anyway, I think a
                    team effort would allow you to do away with third party controls.
                    Charts are pretty easy, gauges are only a bit more complicated. The
                    part that will be difficult is the serial communications with the
                    consoles, but if you turned your current communications code into a dll
                    the C# app would just be handling the UI.

                    By the way, I stopped writing my own when I discovered WUHU. There just
                    wasn't any reason to continue after that. heh heh

                    Rich

                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                      Rich,

                      We will have to kick around that idea.

                      I am torn right now between a total re-write in to C# or perhaps leave
                      it in it's current state then add a more sophisticated user interface
                      in C#.

                      Although the communications code could easily be moved to a dll,
                      perhaps there is an advantage of keeping it as a separate process.

                      Right now, the currdat.lst file output by WUHU could be monitored as
                      input for a nice gauge or chart program. Ideally the same charts or
                      gauges would then be available over the net.

                      If you want to kick around some ideas offline you can email me at
                      wuhu_software at yahoo.com

                      Thanks.