Re: error 217

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2008
      Jeff,

      Are you getting the error after a reboot? If so, it appears that
      Windows may need some time to load up drivers before WUHU starts.

      To do this, exit WUHU and edit the WUHU Configuration.INI file with
      Notepad.

      Add the following key to the [General Settings] section of the INI file:

      [General Settings]
      .
      .
      .
      Startup Delay=120

      This will delay the startup of WUHU for 120 seconds, giving Windows
      time to load the needed printer drivers.

      After saving the file and exiting Notepad, try a reboot.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Waltermire"
      <jwaltermire@...> wrote:

      > I've been running Wuhu since April and it's been great. I started
      > running 2.16-32 a couple of weeks ago now with no problems. Starting
      > last night I'm getting error 217 on startup. I checked that my
      > printers are still in control panel and they are. Any other ideas? I
      > didn't change anything so that's the strange part.
      >
      > Jeff

    • alrjr2001
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
        Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this program were
        running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
        changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
        laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT fault
        the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
        vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
        that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.

        Arnold In The Smokies

        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
          Arnold,

          Ok, I did not mean for this post to turn in to a novel, but here it
          goes...

          The sad story to this whole runtime error (in turn causing
          installation errors) is the following.

          I bought this TeeChart ActiveX object back in 98-99' or so when the
          company was first starting out (Steema Software, Catalonia, Spain). It
          was a new product and it had bugs. It was touted on the Microsoft
          vendor site as one of the top ActiveX offerings available at that
          time. This was back when Microsoft was still pushing the ActiveX
          technology (aka OLE - Object linking and embedding, aka VB OCX, aka
          COM). Now MS has all but abandoned COM but they supports it.

          When I first created an application implementing the control, this bug
          quickly cropped up and I reported it. I was told to define the printer
          to avoid the problem. That allowed me to at least continue
          development. I assumed that a free upgrade would be forthcoming. I
          asked for a patch and was told that it would be in the next release.
          Months passed by before the next release was available.

          Of course the next release required an upgrade fee.

          Since that time, Teechart has become very popular and has grown more
          much more expensive. I believe the upgrade fee for existing customers
          is around $150-$250. The fee is based on how out of date your version is.

          It is very disappointing to me that a software company can release
          such a glaring bug to it's customers then put them on hold until the
          next release of the software, then demand more money to get the
          upgrade to get the patch. That is what happens when a software
          companies lose touch with their customer base as most do once they
          reach a certain size.

          Although Teechart is a pretty cool ActiveX object for drawing charts,
          I am hesitant to invest a red cent given the past behavior of the
          company. ActiveX is really a dead technology anyway so I probably will
          never upgrade.

          If an when I do port WUHU to another environment, there are several
          other packages that would be a viable alternative. Given that they
          screwed me over the first time, I will probably not even consider them
          for WUHU or any other project.

          I have spent hours trying to figure out a way around this issue by
          attempting to detect the printer before launching the Teechart object
          only to discover that Windows might have not fully loaded various
          drivers related to the printer, blah blah blah.

          So anyway this was an expensive lesson so far as my time is concerned.
          The time I have spent documenting problems, finding work-arounds, has
          far exceeded the cost of the original product, or even the cost of the
          latest offering.

          Lesson learned.

          So in the end you are correct that a component implemented using a
          different operating system probably would not have produced the
          miserable results I had experienced but that is what we have to work with.

          Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
          and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
          systems that we are forced to use.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
          <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

          > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this program were
          > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
          > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
          > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT fault
          > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
          > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
          > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.
          >
          > Arnold In The Smokies
          >
          > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Waltermire"
          > <jwaltermire@> wrote:
          > >
          > > I've been running Wuhu since April and it's been great. I started
          > > running 2.16-32 a couple of weeks ago now with no problems. Starting
          > > last night I'm getting error 217 on startup. I checked that my
          > > printers are still in control panel and they are. Any other ideas? I
          > > didn't change anything so that's the strange part.
          > >
          > > Jeff

        • Jeff Waltermire
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
            I've run countless Linux distros through the years starting in 1998.
            I've not found one to be all that stable running a gui. Stuff gets
            funky on me after a few weeks and things just stop working for some
            reason...kind of like Windows. Just my experience: not looking for a
            fight. I go back to TRS80 days then Commodores then DOS on Pcs and no
            I don't think we need to know command line stuff in this day and age.
            Ubuntu has brought linux a long ways but it still has to improve to
            see greater acceptance. I've played with Macs but I still hate Apple
            for selling sub-standard over-priced Apple IIe computers to schools
            that didn't know any better. Oh well. On to my problem with wuhu...

            I have added a delay up to 360 seconds in the dat file and now I get
            an error that says "Unable to open specified communications port.
            Make sure this port exists in the system and is not being used by
            another application like Heavyweather." It's on a physical comm 1
            port built into the computer (not a usb adapter) and there isn't any
            other software wanting it so I 'm not sure what it is having trouble
            with. It's weird that it's worked for months then all of a sudden it
            freaks out. When I click OK on the error then click start in wuhu it
            loads right up with no issue and starts uploading.

            I didn't pay attention. Is this version 216-32 running as a service?
            I may try to run it from a batch file (how I added a delay in
            previous version) if I have to with a delay in the batch file.

            Jeff

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
              Jeff,

              The current version is not running as a service.

              There have not been any major changes to the serial port handling in
              quite some time.

              Is this an XP machine that you are running?

              Did you install any software before you started having problems?
              Perhaps a new anti-virus or firewall program?

              I am at a loss as to why the serial port would not open on the first
              attempt.

              <jwaltermire@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > with.
              > >
              > > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
              > > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
              > > systems that we are forced to use.
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
              > > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this
              program were
              > > > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
              > > > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
              > > > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT
              fault
              > > > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
              > > > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
              > > > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.

            • alrjr2001
              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                I fully understand & have been sung by some poorly implemented new
                software in the past with my graphics business. It really turns on off
                when a company treats an early adopter poorly instead of helping out &
                gaining a customer for life! Unfortunately good customer service is
                hard to find these days but when I do experience it I make the parties
                that be know I sincerely appreciate it & believe me I appreciate what
                you've done in creating the WUHU product:-) Have you ever considered
                setting up a PayPal account for users to give a small donation if they
                like the product? That could help defray cosys of upgrades, etc.
                (though in this case I understand you not wanting to give Steema
                anything more!).

                Arnold In The Smokies

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                  Arnold,

                  Thanks for the suggestion.

                  The newer Steema does have the ability to dump charts to graphic
                  files, that would be a nice feature to have. That would allow you to
                  have nice graphics on your personal website without turning it in to a
                  major database or php project.

                  Right now, I cannot see investing any more money in ActiveX stuff.
                  Most companies do not offer the use of ActiveX and .Net under one
                  license, so I cannot see spending the money.

                  I would like to write a WUHU2 someday, using C#. There are a few nice
                  packages for gauges and charts out there and they are pretty pricey.
                  Not surprisingly, they are all about $600 or so. At that point I would
                  need to take donations before creating the program or I would need to
                  charge from the start and invest the money myself.

                  The only other need for money would be access to new stations that
                  need to be supported. So far I have been pretty lucky when
                  implementing new station types when I do not have access to the equipment.

                  <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
                  > with.
                  > >
                  > > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
                  > > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
                  > > systems that we are forced to use.
                  > >

                  > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
                  > > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this
                  program were
                  > > > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
                  > > > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
                  > > > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT
                  fault
                  > > > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
                  > > > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
                  > > > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.

                • Bob Tyszka
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                    I had a similar problem, the WUHU was running fine v-15 and 16, but
                    it would not communicate with the WS2308. Heavy Weather ran fine, but
                    did not communicate. After nearly two weeks of uninstalling and
                    reinstalling the software, firewalls and anti-virus and writing to
                    Oregon Scientific tech support, I started looking for software using Hot
                    Synch and similiar software. What I did find was that my UPS was using
                    the same com 1 port as WUHU. I went into Control Panels and turned off
                    the UPS and everything has been working great since then.

                    Bob T.

                    wuhu_software wrote:

> [...]
                    > > > The time I have spent documenting problems, finding work-arounds, has
                    > > > far exceeded the cost of the original product, or even the cost of the
                    > > > latest offering.
                    > > >
                    > > > Lesson learned.
                    > > >
                    > > > So in the end you are correct that a component implemented using a
                    > > > different operating system probably would not have produced the
                    > > > miserable results I had experienced but that is what we have to work
                    > > with.
                    > > >
                    > > > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
                    > > > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
                    > > > systems that we are forced to use.
                    > > >

                    > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "alrjr2001"

                    > program were
                    > fault

                    > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jeff Waltermire"

                  • Rich Allen
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                      If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to help with a C# version of WUHU.
                      I make my living with C#. When I offered to help with the FTP code, I
                      was hoping you were already using C#, I haven't used C or C++ in over a
                      decade and I'm not all that unhappy about it. :) Anyway, I think a
                      team effort would allow you to do away with third party controls.
                      Charts are pretty easy, gauges are only a bit more complicated. The
                      part that will be difficult is the serial communications with the
                      consoles, but if you turned your current communications code into a dll
                      the C# app would just be handling the UI.

                      By the way, I stopped writing my own when I discovered WUHU. There just
                      wasn't any reason to continue after that. heh heh

                      Rich

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                        Rich,

                        We will have to kick around that idea.

                        I am torn right now between a total re-write in to C# or perhaps leave
                        it in it's current state then add a more sophisticated user interface
                        in C#.

                        Although the communications code could easily be moved to a dll,
                        perhaps there is an advantage of keeping it as a separate process.

                        Right now, the currdat.lst file output by WUHU could be monitored as
                        input for a nice gauge or chart program. Ideally the same charts or
                        gauges would then be available over the net.

                        If you want to kick around some ideas offline you can email me at
                        wuhu_software at yahoo.com

                        Thanks.