error 217

  • Jeff Waltermire
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 7, 2008
      I've been running Wuhu since April and it's been great. I started
      running 2.16-32 a couple of weeks ago now with no problems. Starting
      last night I'm getting error 217 on startup. I checked that my
      printers are still in control panel and they are. Any other ideas? I
      didn't change anything so that's the strange part.

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 7, 2008
        Jeff,

        Are you getting the error after a reboot? If so, it appears that
        Windows may need some time to load up drivers before WUHU starts.

        To do this, exit WUHU and edit the WUHU Configuration.INI file with
        Notepad.

        Add the following key to the [General Settings] section of the INI file:

        [General Settings]
        .
        .
        .
        Startup Delay=120

        This will delay the startup of WUHU for 120 seconds, giving Windows
        time to load the needed printer drivers.

        After saving the file and exiting Notepad, try a reboot.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Waltermire"
        <jwaltermire@...> wrote:

        > I've been running Wuhu since April and it's been great. I started
        > running 2.16-32 a couple of weeks ago now with no problems. Starting
        > last night I'm getting error 217 on startup. I checked that my
        > printers are still in control panel and they are. Any other ideas? I
        > didn't change anything so that's the strange part.
        >
        > Jeff

      • alrjr2001
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
          Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this program were
          running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
          changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
          laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT fault
          the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
          vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
          that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.

          Arnold In The Smokies

          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
            Arnold,

            Ok, I did not mean for this post to turn in to a novel, but here it
            goes...

            The sad story to this whole runtime error (in turn causing
            installation errors) is the following.

            I bought this TeeChart ActiveX object back in 98-99' or so when the
            company was first starting out (Steema Software, Catalonia, Spain). It
            was a new product and it had bugs. It was touted on the Microsoft
            vendor site as one of the top ActiveX offerings available at that
            time. This was back when Microsoft was still pushing the ActiveX
            technology (aka OLE - Object linking and embedding, aka VB OCX, aka
            COM). Now MS has all but abandoned COM but they supports it.

            When I first created an application implementing the control, this bug
            quickly cropped up and I reported it. I was told to define the printer
            to avoid the problem. That allowed me to at least continue
            development. I assumed that a free upgrade would be forthcoming. I
            asked for a patch and was told that it would be in the next release.
            Months passed by before the next release was available.

            Of course the next release required an upgrade fee.

            Since that time, Teechart has become very popular and has grown more
            much more expensive. I believe the upgrade fee for existing customers
            is around $150-$250. The fee is based on how out of date your version is.

            It is very disappointing to me that a software company can release
            such a glaring bug to it's customers then put them on hold until the
            next release of the software, then demand more money to get the
            upgrade to get the patch. That is what happens when a software
            companies lose touch with their customer base as most do once they
            reach a certain size.

            Although Teechart is a pretty cool ActiveX object for drawing charts,
            I am hesitant to invest a red cent given the past behavior of the
            company. ActiveX is really a dead technology anyway so I probably will
            never upgrade.

            If an when I do port WUHU to another environment, there are several
            other packages that would be a viable alternative. Given that they
            screwed me over the first time, I will probably not even consider them
            for WUHU or any other project.

            I have spent hours trying to figure out a way around this issue by
            attempting to detect the printer before launching the Teechart object
            only to discover that Windows might have not fully loaded various
            drivers related to the printer, blah blah blah.

            So anyway this was an expensive lesson so far as my time is concerned.
            The time I have spent documenting problems, finding work-arounds, has
            far exceeded the cost of the original product, or even the cost of the
            latest offering.

            Lesson learned.

            So in the end you are correct that a component implemented using a
            different operating system probably would not have produced the
            miserable results I had experienced but that is what we have to work with.

            Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
            and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
            systems that we are forced to use.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
            <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

            > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this program were
            > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
            > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
            > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT fault
            > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
            > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
            > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.
            >
            > Arnold In The Smokies
            >
            > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Waltermire"
            > <jwaltermire@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I've been running Wuhu since April and it's been great. I started
            > > running 2.16-32 a couple of weeks ago now with no problems. Starting
            > > last night I'm getting error 217 on startup. I checked that my
            > > printers are still in control panel and they are. Any other ideas? I
            > > didn't change anything so that's the strange part.
            > >
            > > Jeff

          • Jeff Waltermire
            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 8, 2008
              I've run countless Linux distros through the years starting in 1998.
              I've not found one to be all that stable running a gui. Stuff gets
              funky on me after a few weeks and things just stop working for some
              reason...kind of like Windows. Just my experience: not looking for a
              fight. I go back to TRS80 days then Commodores then DOS on Pcs and no
              I don't think we need to know command line stuff in this day and age.
              Ubuntu has brought linux a long ways but it still has to improve to
              see greater acceptance. I've played with Macs but I still hate Apple
              for selling sub-standard over-priced Apple IIe computers to schools
              that didn't know any better. Oh well. On to my problem with wuhu...

              I have added a delay up to 360 seconds in the dat file and now I get
              an error that says "Unable to open specified communications port.
              Make sure this port exists in the system and is not being used by
              another application like Heavyweather." It's on a physical comm 1
              port built into the computer (not a usb adapter) and there isn't any
              other software wanting it so I 'm not sure what it is having trouble
              with. It's weird that it's worked for months then all of a sudden it
              freaks out. When I click OK on the error then click start in wuhu it
              loads right up with no issue and starts uploading.

              I didn't pay attention. Is this version 216-32 running as a service?
              I may try to run it from a batch file (how I added a delay in
              previous version) if I have to with a delay in the batch file.

              Jeff

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                Jeff,

                The current version is not running as a service.

                There have not been any major changes to the serial port handling in
                quite some time.

                Is this an XP machine that you are running?

                Did you install any software before you started having problems?
                Perhaps a new anti-virus or firewall program?

                I am at a loss as to why the serial port would not open on the first
                attempt.

                <jwaltermire@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > with.
                > >
                > > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
                > > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
                > > systems that we are forced to use.
                > >

                > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
                > > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this
                program were
                > > > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
                > > > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
                > > > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT
                fault
                > > > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
                > > > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
                > > > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.

              • alrjr2001
                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                  I fully understand & have been sung by some poorly implemented new
                  software in the past with my graphics business. It really turns on off
                  when a company treats an early adopter poorly instead of helping out &
                  gaining a customer for life! Unfortunately good customer service is
                  hard to find these days but when I do experience it I make the parties
                  that be know I sincerely appreciate it & believe me I appreciate what
                  you've done in creating the WUHU product:-) Have you ever considered
                  setting up a PayPal account for users to give a small donation if they
                  like the product? That could help defray cosys of upgrades, etc.
                  (though in this case I understand you not wanting to give Steema
                  anything more!).

                  Arnold In The Smokies

                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                    Arnold,

                    Thanks for the suggestion.

                    The newer Steema does have the ability to dump charts to graphic
                    files, that would be a nice feature to have. That would allow you to
                    have nice graphics on your personal website without turning it in to a
                    major database or php project.

                    Right now, I cannot see investing any more money in ActiveX stuff.
                    Most companies do not offer the use of ActiveX and .Net under one
                    license, so I cannot see spending the money.

                    I would like to write a WUHU2 someday, using C#. There are a few nice
                    packages for gauges and charts out there and they are pretty pricey.
                    Not surprisingly, they are all about $600 or so. At that point I would
                    need to take donations before creating the program or I would need to
                    charge from the start and invest the money myself.

                    The only other need for money would be access to new stations that
                    need to be supported. So far I have been pretty lucky when
                    implementing new station types when I do not have access to the equipment.

                    <alrjr2001@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    > with.
                    > >
                    > > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
                    > > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
                    > > systems that we are forced to use.
                    > >

                    > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "alrjr2001"
                    > > <alrjr2001@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hey Jeff its a PC what do you expect:-) Seriously if this
                    program were
                    > > > running on the Mac platform we'd be seeing a lot less of these "what
                    > > > changed" type of posts. I'm going to install WUHU today on an old
                    > > > laptop and I hope it goes well & is stable. Please note I DO NOT
                    fault
                    > > > the author of the program in any way nor do I want to start the Mac
                    > > > vs. PC argument as it doesnt accomplish anything its just my opinion
                    > > > that the Macs OS is far more stable then Windows.

                  • Bob Tyszka
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                      I had a similar problem, the WUHU was running fine v-15 and 16, but
                      it would not communicate with the WS2308. Heavy Weather ran fine, but
                      did not communicate. After nearly two weeks of uninstalling and
                      reinstalling the software, firewalls and anti-virus and writing to
                      Oregon Scientific tech support, I started looking for software using Hot
                      Synch and similiar software. What I did find was that my UPS was using
                      the same com 1 port as WUHU. I went into Control Panels and turned off
                      the UPS and everything has been working great since then.

                      Bob T.

                      wuhu_software wrote:

> [...]
                      > > > The time I have spent documenting problems, finding work-arounds, has
                      > > > far exceeded the cost of the original product, or even the cost of the
                      > > > latest offering.
                      > > >
                      > > > Lesson learned.
                      > > >
                      > > > So in the end you are correct that a component implemented using a
                      > > > different operating system probably would not have produced the
                      > > > miserable results I had experienced but that is what we have to work
                      > > with.
                      > > >
                      > > > Personally I do hope that Linux gains greater acceptance as I am sick
                      > > > and tired of vendors like MS or Apple dictating the buggy operating
                      > > > systems that we are forced to use.
                      > > >

                      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "alrjr2001"

                      > program were
                      > fault

                      > <mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com>, "Jeff Waltermire"

                    • Rich Allen
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                        If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to help with a C# version of WUHU.
                        I make my living with C#. When I offered to help with the FTP code, I
                        was hoping you were already using C#, I haven't used C or C++ in over a
                        decade and I'm not all that unhappy about it. :) Anyway, I think a
                        team effort would allow you to do away with third party controls.
                        Charts are pretty easy, gauges are only a bit more complicated. The
                        part that will be difficult is the serial communications with the
                        consoles, but if you turned your current communications code into a dll
                        the C# app would just be handling the UI.

                        By the way, I stopped writing my own when I discovered WUHU. There just
                        wasn't any reason to continue after that. heh heh

                        Rich

                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 9, 2008
                          Rich,

                          We will have to kick around that idea.

                          I am torn right now between a total re-write in to C# or perhaps leave
                          it in it's current state then add a more sophisticated user interface
                          in C#.

                          Although the communications code could easily be moved to a dll,
                          perhaps there is an advantage of keeping it as a separate process.

                          Right now, the currdat.lst file output by WUHU could be monitored as
                          input for a nice gauge or chart program. Ideally the same charts or
                          gauges would then be available over the net.

                          If you want to kick around some ideas offline you can email me at
                          wuhu_software at yahoo.com

                          Thanks.