Re: WUHU Not Getting Rain Gauge Updates from Console

  • Joe
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 29, 2008
      No problem. I can reset it.

      Also, in case there is a problem with hourly totals, when the software
      stopped recognizing rain total data from the console, it was raining -
      hard.

      We had reached 1.43 inches of rain in about 30 mins before it stopped
      counting.

      You might want to check to see if you might have a different a limit
      setting as well for a 1-hr totals or even rate of rainfall.

      Joe

      P.S. Yeah, I'm a software engineer (manager, now), so I can gather
      where there may be software bugs. I live this every day.

      > Joe,
      >
      > Looking at the source code, there is a limit on the rain total of
      > 393.7 in. I am not sure where that number came from, it is either the
      > limit of the WS-23XX or the WS-36XX.
      >
      > I would recommend resetting the total on December 31st of each year.
      > That allows you to use rain total as the yearly total and also
      > prevents you from hitting that upper limit.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <latenightgator@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey,
      > >
      > > Found the rain total before I reset it using HeavyWeather - it says
      > > 339.80.
      > >
      > > I don't use HeavyWeather, but if I need to for this purpose, I'll
      > > remember it.
      > >
      > > Hope this helps.
      > >
      > > Joe
      > >
      > > From my WUHU log:
      > > Sat Jul 26 13:06:51 2008 > Console history started. Records in
      > > Memory:47, Index of Newest Record:46, History Interval in Mins:60,
      > > Abs->Rel Pressure offset=-0.01, Rain Reference Total (MM):339.80, Rain
      > > Reference Count:680.
      > > Sat Jul 26 13:06:52 2008 > Saving New Rain Tracking References.
      > > Time:Tue Jan 02 21:10:00 2001, Rain Reference Total (MM):339.80, Rain
      > > Reference Count:39.
      > > Sat Jul 26 13:06:52 2008 > Console history read completed succesfully.
      > > 0 records were collected. 0 records were stored. 0 records were
      > > uploaded to Weather Underground. 0 records were uploaded to
      Hamweather.

      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 29, 2008
        Joe,

        The limits on hourly and 24 hour rainfall rates is 39.37 inches max.
        Also there is a check between updates that makes sure that these
        values have not changed by more than 2.0 inches between updates from
        the console.

        Unless you have enabled the tweak option "Calculate 1HR and 24HR
        rainfall", those values are supplied by the console, not by the
        software. I would recommend that this option is used as the La Crosse
        consoles seem to used a crude method for rainfall rate calculations.

        If you already had this option checked, and the rain total was being
        rejected, that would make sense as the rainfall total is used to
        determine the 1HR and 24HR rates. Daily rainfall is always calculated
        by the software for the La Crosse units.

        wrote:

        > No problem. I can reset it.
        >
        > Also, in case there is a problem with hourly totals, when the software
        > stopped recognizing rain total data from the console, it was raining -
        > hard.
        >
        > We had reached 1.43 inches of rain in about 30 mins before it stopped
        > counting.
        >
        > You might want to check to see if you might have a different a limit
        > setting as well for a 1-hr totals or even rate of rainfall.
        >
        > Joe
        >
        > P.S. Yeah, I'm a software engineer (manager, now), so I can gather
        > where there may be software bugs. I live this every day.

        > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Joe,
        > >
        > > Looking at the source code, there is a limit on the rain total of
        > > 393.7 in. I am not sure where that number came from, it is either the
        > > limit of the WS-23XX or the WS-36XX.
        > >
        > > I would recommend resetting the total on December 31st of each year.
        > > That allows you to use rain total as the yearly total and also
        > > prevents you from hitting that upper limit.
        > >
        > > Thanks.
        > >
        > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Joe" <latenightgator@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hey,
        > > >
        > > > Found the rain total before I reset it using HeavyWeather - it says
        > > > 339.80.
        > > >
        > > > I don't use HeavyWeather, but if I need to for this purpose, I'll
        > > > remember it.
        > > >
        > > > Hope this helps.
        > > >
        > > > Joe
        > > >
        > > > From my WUHU log:
        > > > Sat Jul 26 13:06:51 2008 > Console history started. Records in
        > > > Memory:47, Index of Newest Record:46, History Interval in Mins:60,
        > > > Abs->Rel Pressure offset=-0.01, Rain Reference Total
        (MM):339.80, Rain
        > > > Reference Count:680.
        > > > Sat Jul 26 13:06:52 2008 > Saving New Rain Tracking References.
        > > > Time:Tue Jan 02 21:10:00 2001, Rain Reference Total (MM):339.80,
        Rain
        > > > Reference Count:39.
        > > > Sat Jul 26 13:06:52 2008 > Console history read completed
        succesfully.
        > > > 0 records were collected. 0 records were stored. 0 records were
        > > > uploaded to Weather Underground. 0 records were uploaded to
        > Hamweather.

      • Joe
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 29, 2008
          Yes, I have (had) those software options enabled for the rainfall
          calculation to WUHU's calculation versus the consoles.

          Joe