Re: [wuhu_software_group] Heads up and Macromedia CPU utilization on some machines.

  • Alan Steremberg
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
      Hi,

      Are you on the weather station page of the forecast page? Please send me a URL.

      Thanks,

      Alan

      On 3/1/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
      WU,

      When I viewed the main page showing current weather conditions, the
      user interface was un-responsive and jerky when I attempted to scroll
      the screen. The CPU utilization was going to 100%.

      I suspected I had a problem on this machine (Windows 2000) when
      viewing an unrelated page in the past.

      Today, I attempted to upgrade the MM player at the Macromedia site.

      Although it says it installed, it did not improve the peformance back
      at the current conditions page.

      I found that it was necessary to remove the Macromedia player in
      Add/Remove programs, then re-install.

      After that installation, it needed to reboot the computer.

      I am happy to report that the CPU utilization is fine now.

      If you do find user's complaining about the "herky-jerky" perfomance
      of the page, you might want to give them that recommendation.

      Thanks.

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

      WUHU Download page:
      http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

      Personal weather station Weather stations Standard edition

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      --
      Alan Steremberg
      Weather Underground
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006

        Alan,

        I guess it would be the forecast page?

        http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=48116

        Thanks.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg" <alans@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > Are you on the weather station page of the forecast page? Please send me a
        > URL.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Alan
        >

        > On 3/1/06, wuhu_software wuhu_software@... wrote:
        > >
        > > WU,
        > >
        > > When I viewed the main page showing current weather conditions, the
        > > user interface was un-responsive and jerky when I attempted to scroll
        > > the screen. The CPU utilization was going to 100%.
        > >
        > > I suspected I had a problem on this machine (Windows 2000) when
        > > viewing an unrelated page in the past.
        > >
        > > Today, I attempted to upgrade the MM player at the Macromedia site.
        > >
        > > Although it says it installed, it did not improve the peformance back
        > > at the current conditions page.
        > >
        > > I found that it was necessary to remove the Macromedia player in
        > > Add/Remove programs, then re-install.
        > >
        > > After that installation, it needed to reboot the computer.
        > >
        > > I am happy to report that the CPU utilization is fine now.
        > >
        > > If you do find user's complaining about the "herky-jerky" perfomance
        > > of the page, you might want to give them that recommendation.
        > >
        > > Thanks.

        > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

        > > WUHU Download page:

        > > ------------------------------
        > >

        > --
        > Alan Steremberg
        > Weather Underground
        > 415-543-5022 x 103
        > http://www.wunderground.com

      • Alan Steremberg
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
          Hi,

          Can you help me debug this? We have gotten a number of complaints in our support box about this problem, but it is hard to track down. I have tested the feature on Mac/Windows XP on Firefox 1.0/1.5/IE 6.0/Safari

          What web browser are you using, are you running out of memory? how much memory / processor do you have?

        • Tony McGee
          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
            I am also having the CPU Usage spike...up to 50% at times, usually
            hovering around 20%.

            Win XP SP2, IE v6.0
            1.73GHz, 1 GB RAM

            Good luck with the debug.
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
              Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer v6.0.2800.1106 - Latest for 2000
              Processor: AMD, 900Mhz
              Memory: 512MB, 235MB free.
              Windows 2000 - Update to date will all service packs.
              Macromedia - New install this morning.

              About every 2 seconds, processor spikes to 100% of the processor for
              about 1/2 second to one second in duration. When processor is at 100%
              the scrolling is locked up.

              It might just be too much for the machine to handle during all of the
              on screen updates.

              <alans@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > Can you help me debug this? We have gotten a number of complaints
              in our
              > support box about this problem, but it is hard to track down. I
              have tested
              > the feature on Mac/Windows XP on Firefox 1.0/1.5/IE 6.0/Safari
              >
              > What web browser are you using, are you running out of memory? how
              much
              > memory / processor do you have?
              >
              > Alan
              >

              > On 3/1/06, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:
              > >
              > > Alan,
              > >
              > > I guess it would be the forecast page?
              > >
              > > http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?
              query=48116

              > > Thanks.
              > >

              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Alan Steremberg"
              <alans@>
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hi,
              > > >
              > > > Are you on the weather station page of the forecast page?
              Please send me
              > > > URL.
              > > >
              > > > Thanks,
              > > >
              > > > Alan

              when

              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
              +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
              > > Weather
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
              s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g>
              > > Standard
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
              s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw

              > > hoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group>"

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              > > > --
              > >
              > > > Alan Steremberg
              > > > Weather Underground
              > > > 415-543-5022 x 103
              > > > http://www.wunderground.com

              > > Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?

              > > WUHU Download page:

              t=ms&k=Personal+weather+station&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather
              +stations&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=EvGRsKZuakxxzjh3ARuZRw>
              Weather
              > > stations<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Weather+stations&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
              s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=YoyIXW4XwEub2oHOWkro_g> Standard
              > > edition<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
              t=ms&k=Standard+edition&w1=Personal+weather+station&w2=Weather+station
              s&w3=Standard+edition&c=3&s=74&.sig=rIzCdmGV1SJAMxPs9QpwDw>
              _group>"

              unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group-

              > > ------------------------------
              > >

              > --
              > Alan Steremberg
              > Weather Underground
              > 415-543-5022 x 103
              > http://www.wunderground.com

            • Brian Harris
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
                HI,

                I downloaded the where'sjames webcam software I have it uploading to my
                webpage in still pics, but I'm wanting it still pics but moving stills.
                Well I want it exactly the way it is on
                http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/ Can someone please tell me the
                steps in doing this I cant figure it out!!

                Thanks

              • Alan Steremberg
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
                  Hi,

                  We aren't using flash, we are using javascript and the XMLHTTP object in IE.  Interesting, maybe I should ramp back the update time or something.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
                    bharris,

                    Since you have the FTP working you are 1/2 there, maybe...

                    You can try using the Publish settings I have listed here:

                    http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/Demos/WheresJames.htm

                    Beware, for whatever reason, I had to remove codecs and re-install
                    then the software started working. Whether it was the removal of a
                    codec or the re-installation that fixed it, I am not sure. It was
                    pretty frustrating getting it setup.

                    Let me know if you get it running.

                    Thanks.

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Brian Harris

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
                      Let me know what I can do.

                      I will test it after you modify.

                      Is there anything I can check/update on this machine?

                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
                        I have a 3200 AMD Athlon64 with 512 mb DDR SDRAM using Windows XP & IE
                        6.0 with all the latest updates.
                        With Heavyweather on and looking at thw WU page. When I scroll I go up
                        to 100% CPU Usage. Not scrolling.
                        IO just turned Heavy weather off and it still goes to 100%.
                        May be strange, but the faster I scroll the less CPU usage.
                        It never stops or freezes though.
                        Memory usage does not seem to change.

                        Message 11 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
                          The delay is odd...

                          I tried an XP 2.5Ghz (XP, latest everything) and a Dual Core Xeon 1.5
                          GHz (Windows 2000, latest everything), and on both of those systems
                          there is this annoying 1/4 to 1/2 second delay on both machines. You
                          can notice it if you constantly scroll up and down until the delay hits
                          (continue to attempt to scroll when it is locked up).

                          Although the Xeon machine is spiking up to 30% or so, it never goes to
                          100%.
                        • phantomodopera
                          Message 12 of 16 , Mar 1, 2006
                            Browser IE 6.0.29 SP2
                            Processor Intel P4 3.0
                            Mem 1 gig
                            Win XP SP2

                            ( cpu and mem usage is for IExplorer, not all processes - I hope
                            that's what you were looking for)
                            MemUsage 20,372
                            Non Scrolling about 14% CPU usage apx 1 out of 3 seconds
                            Scrolling avg between 22%-35% --- Smooth
                            *****************************

                            Browser Same as above
                            Processor AMD Duron 756
                            Mem 512
                            Win XP SP2

                            MemUsage 26,660k
                            Non Scrolling about 3% CPU usage Constant
                            Scrolling Avg between 70%-90% ( faster scroll= higher usage) ---
                            Smooth
                            *******************************

                            Browser AOL Explorer Browser v1.2.5.16 ( Not signed on through AOL)
                            Processor Same AMD computer as above
                            Mem 512
                            Win XP SP2

                            MemUsage 35,764
                            Non Scrolling about AVG 30% CPU constantly
                            Scrolling Avg between 75%-85% ( faster scroll= higher usage) ---
                            Jerky

                            <alans@...> wrote:

                            > Hi,
                            >
                            > Can you help me debug this? We have gotten a number of complaints
                            in our
                            > support box about this problem, but it is hard to track down. I
                            have tested
                            > the feature on Mac/Windows XP on Firefox 1.0/1.5/IE 6.0/Safari
                            >
                            > What web browser are you using, are you running out of memory? how
                            much
                            > memory / processor do you have?
                            >
                            > Alan

                          • Brian Harris
                            Message 13 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                              I have everything in wheresjames correct with the settings in the demo,
                              but it never tries to upload! If I change it to a jpg file it will
                              upload. I have tried unistalling and reinstalling but doesn't help. Any
                              Ideas?? By the way, what kind of webcam do you have?

                              Thanks

                              KARHARTM1

                              Message 14 of 16 , Mar 2, 2006
                                bharris,

                                I know the frustration, it took me a long time to have the thing
                                magically start working after I deleted some codecs then re-installed.

                                Did you try looking to see what codecs are installed? I removed
                                anything that I did not need. I read somewhere on a forum (there is a
                                forum off his page) that it might have something to do with some
                                offending codec. I might have also re-installed the codecs from MS.

                                I have a cheap-o creative web cam, nothing special.

                                I think the problem with the software has nothing to do with the cam
                                but rather the other codecs on the machine.

                                If I find any new info, I will let you know.