Striped Icebergs

  • Jaye Ellen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2008
      ---------- Forwarded message ----------
      Subject: Striped Icebergs

      Subject: FW: Striped Icebergs

      Amazing striped icebergs

      Icebergs in the Antarctic area sometimes have stripes, formed by
      layers of snow that react to different conditions.

      Blue stripes are often created when a crevice in the ice sheet
      fills up with meltwater and freezes so quickly that no bubbles form.

      When an iceberg falls into the sea, a layer of salty seawater can
      freeze to the underside. If this is rich in algae, it can form a
      green stripe.

      Brown, black and yellow lines are caused by sediment, picked up
      when th e ice sheet gri n ds d ownhill towards the sea.

      ... Is this amazing??

      AntarcticaFrozen Wave Pixs - Nature is amazing!

      The water froze the instant the wave broke through the
      ice.  That's what it is like in Antarctica where it is the
      coldest weather in decades.  Water freezes the instant
      it comes in contact with the air.  The temperature of the
      water is already some degrees below freezing.

      Just look at how the wave froze in mid-air!!!

      Having the Internet means that we get to see something
      that we never imagined!   Pass it on for others to enjoy!

    • Dickie Bradford
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 8, 2008
        Pretty Cool Looking :-)

        Dickie