Re: Beta 46. Built in FTP transfers.

    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008

      Dan,

      What you need to create is an action file. An action file is just a text file created with notepad.

      In the On Update Action, you specify something like:

      actionfile:"C:\web\startlogic\weather\ActionList.txt"

      In the action on activation edit box.

      Next, create the C:\web\startlogic\weather\ActionList.txt file using notepad.

      Inside of it, you would enter:

      template:"C:\web\startlogic\weather\inputwx.htm" "C:\web\startlogic\weather\wxstation.htm"

      Then after that, the ftp line.

      Once you have an action file, you can enter as many actions as you want. There is no limit.

      You can have comment lines in the file by using a semicolon (;) as the first character. You can also use the keyword REM.

      So you could have in the file:

      ;
      ; Process the template file.
      ;
      template:"C:\web\startlogic\weather\inputwx.htm" "C:\web\startlogic\weather\wxstation.htm"
      ;
      ; Upload the file to my FTP server.
      ;
      ftp://dan:fido@... "C:\web\startlogic\weather\wxstation.htm" "\wxstation.htm"
      ;
      ; Do something else...
      ;

      Let me know if you need help with the action file.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear" <utahweatherbear@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > the
      > > following action in the 'On Weather Update' action. To use how to
      > learn
      > > actions, see the user manual.
      > >
      > > Here is the format of the action that is now supported under B46:
      > >
      > > ftp://user:password@server[:port <ftp://user:password@server
      > [:port> ]
      > > [ASCII | BINARY] "local file" "remote file" ["local file" "remote
      > file"]
      > >
      > > Exampe #1:
      > >
      > > ftp://bob:fido@ <ftp://bob:fido@
      > > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
      > >
      > > This would transfer one file from the local drive to your server and
      > > store the file under the \data directory on the server. Beware that
      > the
      > > remote file specification is probably case-sensitive, this includes
      > path
      > > names (\data) as well.
      > >
      > > As with other actions, the double quotes are required when
      > specifying
      > > paths and filenames in order to support long path names that can
      > > contains spaces. You must use the double quots on both the local
      > *and*
      > > the remote path and file specifications even if the server does not
      > > support long file names. Never use spaces in the filenames on the
      > remote
      > > server if it does not support this. If you do use spaces in the
      > filename
      > > where it is not allowed, the transfer will always fail.
      > >
      > > The ASCII transfer mode is initially assumed. You can change from
      > ASCII
      > > to binary mode transfers by placing the keyword ASCII or BINARY
      > before
      > > the specified file pair.
      > >
      > > ftp://bob:fido@ <ftp://bob:fido@ BINARY
      > > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
      > >
      > > You can switch modes between transfers like this:
      > >
      > > ftp://bob:fido@ <ftp://bob:fido@/> BINARY
      > > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst" ASCII
      > > "c:\Heavyweather\Wedaal2.txt" "\data\Wedaal2.txt"
      > >
      > > You can specify the port to be used for FTP transfers. By defult
      > most
      > > servers use port 21. You can override this by specifying the port
      > after
      > > the server name (in this case, port 22):
      > >
      > > ftp://bob:fido@:22 <ftp://bob:fido@:22>
      > > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
      > >
      > > You can enable passive mode by using the 'P' flag immediately after
      > the
      > > port number. This example uses port 21 with passive mode:
      > >
      > > ftp://bob:fido@:21P <ftp://bob:fido@:21P>
      > > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
      > >
      > > There is a new option on the log screen for monitoring FTP
      > transfers. To
      > > watch the details of the transfer, un-check 'Only Errors' and all
      > of the
      > > other upload types except the FTP uploads.
      > >
      > > If you have any problems/questions, let me know.

    • utahweatherbear
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
        OK, sounds good. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.
        Thanx again for all the amazing enhancements you continue to make to
        this already rockin' program!

        dan

> [...]
        > > > servers use port 21. You can override this by specifying the
        port
        > > after
        > > > the server name (in this case, port 22):
        > > >
        > > > ftp://bob:fido@:22 <ftp://bob:fido@:22>
        > > > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
        > > >
        > > > You can enable passive mode by using the 'P' flag immediately
        after
        > > the
        > > > port number. This example uses port 21 with passive mode:
        > > >
        > > > ftp://bob:fido@:21P <ftp://bob:fido@:21P>
        > > > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
        > > >
        > > > There is a new option on the log screen for monitoring FTP
        > > transfers. To
        > > > watch the details of the transfer, un-check 'Only Errors' and
        all
        > > of the
        > > > other upload types except the FTP uploads.
        > > >
        > > > If you have any problems/questions, let me know.

      • Don
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
          Although I probably won't use it for a while this is a REALLY NICE addition!

          Don

          ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst"

[...]

          ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com BINARY "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst"

          You can switch modes between transfers like this:

          ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com BINARY "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst" ASCII "c:\Heavyweather\ Wedaal2.txt" "\data\Wedaal2. txt"

          ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com:22 "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst"

          ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com:21P "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst"

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008
            got it working using the action file and it's great! nice how you can
            limit the ftp uploads to every minute or whatever by clicking the "on
            update seconds" option. the 3-5 second upload seemed a bit stressed.
            anyway, just needed to remember to reverse my slashes when sending to
            the web from "\" to "/" and it worked like a charm.

            Thanx, dan

            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008
              Dan,

              Yes, it is probably a good idea to use the 'On update seconds' to
              limit the FTP uploads as you say. We should probably mention that in
              the user guide when the FTP stuff gets added.

              Thanks for the feed back.