Re: [wuhu_software_group] Beta 46. Built in FTP transfers.

  • Wayne Thomas
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
      Wonderful addition!!!!
      That puts this software over the top!

      Thank You!

      Wayne

      wuhu_software wrote:

> [...]
      > with the existing functions of WUHU (gathering console data,
      > uploading, etc).
      >
      > Beware that these FTP uploads are not secure. That means that if
      > someone is able to packet sniff your connection (like on cable), they
      > could get access to your user name and password that you are using to
      > perform the transfer. In the future I will support either SFTP or FTPS
      > (prefered) that will encrypt this information.
      >
      > In order to transfer files using a regular interval, you must use the
      > following action in the 'On Weather Update' action. To use how to
      > learn actions, see the user manual.
      >
      > Here is the format of the action that is now supported under B46:
      >
      > ftp://user:password@server[:port <ftp://user:password@server%5B:port>]
      > [ASCII | BINARY] "local file" "remote file" ["local file" "remote
      > file"] ...
      >
      > Exampe #1:
      >
      > ftp://bob:fido@... <ftp://bob:fido@...>
      > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
      >
      > This would transfer one file from the local drive to your server and
      > store the file under the \data directory on the server. Beware that
      > the remote file specification is probably case-sensitive, this
      > includes path names (\data) as well.
      >
      > As with other actions, the double quotes are required when specifying
      > paths and filenames in order to support long path names that can
      > contains spaces. You must use the double quots on both the local *and*
      > the remote path and file specifications even if the server does not
      > support long file names. Never use spaces in the filenames on the
      > remote server if it does not support this. If you do use spaces in the
      > filename where it is not allowed, the transfer will always fail.
      >
      > The ASCII transfer mode is initially assumed. You can change from
      > ASCII to binary mode transfers by placing the keyword ASCII or BINARY
      > before the specified file pair.
      >
      > ftp://bob:fido@... <ftp://bob:fido@...> BINARY
      > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
      >
      > You can switch modes between transfers like this:
      >
      > ftp://bob:fido@... <ftp://bob:fido@.../> BINARY
      > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst" ASCII
      > "c:\Heavyweather\Wedaal2.txt" "\data\Wedaal2.txt"
      >
      > You can specify the port to be used for FTP transfers. By defult most
      > servers use port 21. You can override this by specifying the port
      > after the server name (in this case, port 22):
      >
      > ftp://bob:fido@...:22 <ftp://bob:fido@...:22>
      > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
      >
      > You can enable passive mode by using the 'P' flag immediately after
      > the port number. This example uses port 21 with passive mode:
      >
      > ftp://bob:fido@...:21P <ftp://bob:fido@...:21P>
      > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
      >
      > There is a new option on the log screen for monitoring FTP transfers.
      > To watch the details of the transfer, un-check 'Only Errors' and all
      > of the other upload types except the FTP uploads.
      >
      > If you have any problems/questions, let me know.

    • utahweatherbear
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
        WUHU, would love to give the new ftp feature a try. However, I am
        currently using the "on wx update" / "action on activation" line to
        create my template:

        template:"C:\web\startlogic\weather\inputwx.htm" "C:\web\startlogic\we
        ather\wxstation.htm"

        Will I be able to add the ftp command within this same box/line with
        some kind of separator?

        Thanx, dan

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008

          Dan,

          What you need to create is an action file. An action file is just a text file created with notepad.

          In the On Update Action, you specify something like:

          actionfile:"C:\web\startlogic\weather\ActionList.txt"

          In the action on activation edit box.

          Next, create the C:\web\startlogic\weather\ActionList.txt file using notepad.

          Inside of it, you would enter:

          template:"C:\web\startlogic\weather\inputwx.htm" "C:\web\startlogic\weather\wxstation.htm"

          Then after that, the ftp line.

          Once you have an action file, you can enter as many actions as you want. There is no limit.

          You can have comment lines in the file by using a semicolon (;) as the first character. You can also use the keyword REM.

          So you could have in the file:

          ;
          ; Process the template file.
          ;
          template:"C:\web\startlogic\weather\inputwx.htm" "C:\web\startlogic\weather\wxstation.htm"
          ;
          ; Upload the file to my FTP server.
          ;
          ftp://dan:fido@... "C:\web\startlogic\weather\wxstation.htm" "\wxstation.htm"
          ;
          ; Do something else...
          ;

          Let me know if you need help with the action file.

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
            OK, sounds good. I'll give it a try and let you know how it works.
            Thanx again for all the amazing enhancements you continue to make to
            this already rockin' program!

            dan

> [...]
            > > > servers use port 21. You can override this by specifying the
            port
            > > after
            > > > the server name (in this case, port 22):
            > > >
            > > > ftp://bob:fido@:22 <ftp://bob:fido@:22>
            > > > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
            > > >
            > > > You can enable passive mode by using the 'P' flag immediately
            after
            > > the
            > > > port number. This example uses port 21 with passive mode:
            > > >
            > > > ftp://bob:fido@:21P <ftp://bob:fido@:21P>
            > > > "c:\Heavyweather\currdat.lst" "\data\currdat.lst"
            > > >
            > > > There is a new option on the log screen for monitoring FTP
            > > transfers. To
            > > > watch the details of the transfer, un-check 'Only Errors' and
            all
            > > of the
            > > > other upload types except the FTP uploads.
            > > >
            > > > If you have any problems/questions, let me know.

          • Don
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 5, 2008
              Although I probably won't use it for a while this is a REALLY NICE addition!

              Don

              wuhu_software wrote:

[...]

              ftp://user:password @server[: port] [ASCII | BINARY] "local file" "remote file" ["local file" "remote file"] ...

              Exampe #1:

              ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst"

[...]

              ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com BINARY "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst"

              You can switch modes between transfers like this:

              ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com BINARY "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst" ASCII "c:\Heavyweather\ Wedaal2.txt" "\data\Wedaal2. txt"

              ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com:22 "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst"

              ftp://bob:fido@ myserver. com:21P "c:\Heavyweather\ currdat.lst" "\data\currdat. lst"

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008
                got it working using the action file and it's great! nice how you can
                limit the ftp uploads to every minute or whatever by clicking the "on
                update seconds" option. the 3-5 second upload seemed a bit stressed.
                anyway, just needed to remember to reverse my slashes when sending to
                the web from "\" to "/" and it worked like a charm.

                Thanx, dan

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 6, 2008
                  Dan,

                  Yes, it is probably a good idea to use the 'On update seconds' to
                  limit the FTP uploads as you say. We should probably mention that in
                  the user guide when the FTP stuff gets added.

                  Thanks for the feed back.