Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Indoor temp monitoring?

  • Rich Allen
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008
      Dan, how are you transferring the data from WUHU up to your website?
      Can you give me a little step-by-step? :) This may all be moot soon
      since I now have Utopia and might host my website here at my house in
      the near future. Just in case that doesn't happen though, here's what
      I'd like to see:

      1- WUHU has a place I can enter in the FTP URL of my web site.
      2- WUHU gathers the data from my 2315, does it's magic.
      3- WUHU uploads the data in WU format to WU.
      4- WUHU uploads the data in whatever format to the URL defined in step 1.

      I don't want to set up another process to snoop for and upload data
      saved to the hard disk by WUHU. I want WUHU to do it. :)

      WUHU, what programming language are you using? It would be far easier
      for me, as a developer, to simply send you the code than to describe how
      I'd like it to work. heh heh

      Rich

    • utahweatherbear
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008
        OK, in wuhu alerts/actions I checked the "on weather update", and in
        the sound/action under "action on activation" is this:

        template:"C:\web\startlogic\weather\inputwx.htm" "C:\web\startlogic\we
        ather\wxstation.htm"

        I then run an ftp program call AVPSOFT Save2FTP to send the created
        file from my disk to the web.

        here is the link to what the input file I set up looks like before it
        turns into the created file:

        http://weatherbear.com/weather/inputwx.htm

        dan

        wrote:

        > Dan, how are you transferring the data from WUHU up to your
        website?
        > Can you give me a little step-by-step? :) This may all be moot
        soon
        > since I now have Utopia and might host my website here at my house
        in
        > the near future. Just in case that doesn't happen though, here's
        what
        > I'd like to see:
        >
        > 1- WUHU has a place I can enter in the FTP URL of my web site.
        > 2- WUHU gathers the data from my 2315, does it's magic.
        > 3- WUHU uploads the data in WU format to WU.
        > 4- WUHU uploads the data in whatever format to the URL defined in
        step 1.

        > I don't want to set up another process to snoop for and upload data
        > saved to the hard disk by WUHU. I want WUHU to do it. :)
        >

        > WUHU, what programming language are you using? It would be far
        easier
        > for me, as a developer, to simply send you the code than to
        describe how
        > I'd like it to work. heh heh
        >
        > Rich
        >

        > utahweatherbear wrote:
        > > don't the templates and wuhu already have that ability? I've been
        > > collecting and sending indoor temps & humidity for quite some
        time
        > > along with all my other data here (down at bottom):
        > >
        > > http://weatherbear.com/weather/wxstation.htm
        > >
        > > dan

        > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
        > >> Rich,
        > >>
        > >> You are correct that WU does not currently store or display the
        > >> indoor data. This is a feature that will be available in the
        future
        > >> although I do not have any information about a schedule.
        > >>
        > >> We might be able to work something out to tag the CWOP data with
        > >> indoor data. For example, perhaps we could just template strings
        in
        > >> the remark field used in observations. I am not sure if there is
        > > any
        > >> METAR standard for reporting internal station data, but I do not
        > > see
        > >> a problem as long as we keep that additional data small.
        > >>
        > >> Right now, you can easily create a template (webpage or XML
        file)
        > >> then FTP this data to your personal website. I looked in to SSH
        > >> transfers at some point but did not find any Windows command
        line
        > >> utility that could easily be used.
        > >>
        > >> If you have another idea for transferring the data, let me know.
        > >>

        > >> --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Allen <rico@>
        > >> would
        > > areas,
        > >> WUHU
        > >> site

        WU
        > >> site,

        > > WUHU Download page:

        6/12/2008 4:58 PM

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008
          Rich,

          I am not sure what you mean by entering the FTP url of your website.

          What file or files would you attempt to transfer?

          There is a method for passing data to your own web server. You
          basically create a custom URL that contains replacement strings. It
          would look something like:

          http://localhost/webservice/collector.aspx?t=%OutdoorTempDegF%&h=%
          IndoorHumidity%........

          or

          http://myserver.com/pwsupdate.php?t=%OutdoorTempDegF%&h=%
          IndoorHumidity%........

          You can also do as Dan suggested, process template files then use
          either an FTP application to automatically upload the resulting files
          or you can use the Window ftp command line utility to do so.

          The code is written in C++. If you could be more specific about what
          it is you are attempting to achieve, I am sure we can find an easy
          solution.

          wrote:

          > Dan, how are you transferring the data from WUHU up to your
          website?
          > Can you give me a little step-by-step? :) This may all be moot
          soon
          > since I now have Utopia and might host my website here at my house
          in
          > the near future. Just in case that doesn't happen though, here's
          what
          > I'd like to see:
          >
          > 1- WUHU has a place I can enter in the FTP URL of my web site.
          > 2- WUHU gathers the data from my 2315, does it's magic.
          > 3- WUHU uploads the data in WU format to WU.
          > 4- WUHU uploads the data in whatever format to the URL defined in
          step 1.

          > I don't want to set up another process to snoop for and upload data
          > saved to the hard disk by WUHU. I want WUHU to do it. :)
          >

          > WUHU, what programming language are you using? It would be far
          easier
          > for me, as a developer, to simply send you the code than to
          describe how
          > I'd like it to work. heh heh
          >
          > Rich
          >

          > utahweatherbear wrote:
          > > don't the templates and wuhu already have that ability? I've been
          > > collecting and sending indoor temps & humidity for quite some
          time
          > > along with all my other data here (down at bottom):
          > >
          > > http://weatherbear.com/weather/wxstation.htm
          > >
          > > dan

          > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
          > >> Rich,
          > >>
          > >> You are correct that WU does not currently store or display the
          > >> indoor data. This is a feature that will be available in the
          future
          > >> although I do not have any information about a schedule.
          > >>
          > >> We might be able to work something out to tag the CWOP data with
          > >> indoor data. For example, perhaps we could just template strings
          in
          > >> the remark field used in observations. I am not sure if there is
          > > any
          > >> METAR standard for reporting internal station data, but I do not
          > > see
          > >> a problem as long as we keep that additional data small.
          > >>
          > >> Right now, you can easily create a template (webpage or XML
          file)
          > >> then FTP this data to your personal website. I looked in to SSH
          > >> transfers at some point but did not find any Windows command
          line
          > >> utility that could easily be used.
          > >>
          > >> If you have another idea for transferring the data, let me know.
          > >>

          > >> --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Allen <rico@>
          > >> would
          > > areas,
          > >> WUHU
          > >> site

          WU
          > >> site,

          > > WUHU Download page:

          6/12/2008 4:58 PM

        • Larry Myers
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
            Personally, since I host my files on my webserver I mapped a drive letter on the Weather PC (an ancient laptop) to my webserver's inetpub\wwwroot\ directory and then store the template outputs and the currdat.lst file to the drive letter where my asp or php pages parse what I need to parse I also have a batch file that fires off on the weather pc that inserts the same data into my MySQL DB as well. The great thing about doing it this way is currdat.lst is updated when I get new data from my station, which gives my site the ability to show updates every 4 or so secs, but it also makes my DB updates every 5 mins which saves my network some traffic and my drives some work.

            Just my way, but it has been flawless thanks to WUHU's stability and niceness on resources, beat that VWS and WD!!

            Larry

            wrote:

            > Dan, how are you transferring the data from WUHU up to your
            website?
            > Can you give me a little step-by-step? :) This may all be moot
            soon
            > since I now have Utopia and might host my website here at my house
            in
            > the near future. Just in case that doesn't happen though, here's
            what
            > I'd like to see:
            >
            > 1- WUHU has a place I can enter in the FTP URL of my web site.
            > 2- WUHU gathers the data from my 2315, does it's magic.
            > 3- WUHU uploads the data in WU format to WU.
            > 4- WUHU uploads the data in whatever format to the URL defined in
            step 1.

            > I don't want to set up another process to snoop for and upload data
            > saved to the hard disk by WUHU. I want WUHU to do it. :)
            >

            > WUHU, what programming language are you using? It would be far
            easier
            > for me, as a developer, to simply send you the code than to
            describe how
            > I'd like it to work. heh heh
            >
            > Rich
            >

            > utahweatherbear wrote:
            > > don't the templates and wuhu already have that ability? I've been
            > > collecting and sending indoor temps & humidity for quite some
            time
            > > along with all my other data here (down at bottom):
            > >
            > > http://weatherbear.com/weather/wxstation.htm
            > >
            > > dan

            > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
            > >> Rich,
            > >>
            > >> You are correct that WU does not currently store or display the
            > >> indoor data. This is a feature that will be available in the
            future
            > >> although I do not have any information about a schedule.
            > >>
            > >> We might be able to work something out to tag the CWOP data with
            > >> indoor data. For example, perhaps we could just template strings
            in
            > >> the remark field used in observations. I am not sure if there is
            > > any
            > >> METAR standard for reporting internal station data, but I do not
            > > see
            > >> a problem as long as we keep that additional data small.
            > >>
            > >> Right now, you can easily create a template (webpage or XML
            file)
            > >> then FTP this data to your personal website. I looked in to SSH
            > >> transfers at some point but did not find any Windows command
            line
            > >> utility that could easily be used.
            > >>
            > >> If you have another idea for transferring the data, let me know.
            > >>

            > >> --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Allen <rico@>
            > >> would
            > > areas,
            > >> WUHU
            > >> site

            WU
            > >> site,

            > > WUHU Download page:

            6/12/2008 4:58 PM

          • Rich Allen
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
              It was just a "nice to have" idea, no big deal.  What I was thinking of was for WUHU to create an in-memory XML document, post that to an arbitrary site via FTP, and move on.  But now I'm set on hosting my web sites here at the house so it's moot.  I won't need the feature anymore.  :)

              Rich

              wuhu_software wrote:

              Creating templates are a lot of work once you get past a few
              variables.

              If the format is kept the same, you could pull data from the

              WU

              site,

              a personal website, or a local drive.

              That could be useful for other monitoring applications.

              Just a thought.

              WUHU Download page:

              6/12/2008 4:58 PM

              WUHU Download page:

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  mailto:wuhu_software_group-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  mailto:wuhu_software_group-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                Rich,

                You can do this easily enough.

                You would create an XML template input file.

                The resulting output XML file is created on the local hard drive.

                After the template is processed, you then launch an FTP session to
                upload the output file. You can also launch this process silently so
                that it does not pop up a window.

                If you need any help with templates, let us know.

                Thanks.

                ---

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                  Yes, I know it can be done with a separate ftp application. I wanted
                  WUHU to do it for me so I didn't have to set up and configure yet
                  another app. :P

                  Rich

                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 26, 2008

                    Rich,

                    I guess for any FTP transfer there is a minimal amount of configuration information that is required to transfer a file.

                    You would need to define the user name, password, server, destination directory, and local file that you are attempting to transfer.

                    I could see creating an action with the following format:

                    ftp://user:password@ftpserver/dest-dir "local-source-file1" "local-source-file2" ...

                    Note that the double quotes will be needed on the local source files as long filenames can have spaces.

                    So an example use might look like:

                    ftp://myusername:mypassword@.../weather "C:\Heavyweather\XML1.xml" "C:\Heavyweather\XML2.xml"

                    Would transfer two files to the destination directory.

                    The only problem with that format is that it specifies a single target directory where all files must be placed. If you wanted to upload multiple files to seperate directories, you would need to use multiple actions.

                    A way around this might be to use a format like:

                    ftp://user:password@ftpserver  "local-source-file1" "remote-dest-file1"  "local-source-file2" "remote-dest-file2" ...

                    Where the local file to be sent has a coresponding target file name on the remote server. At least one pair of source/dest strings would be required. There would be no limit to the number of files transfered.

                    I guess that I would prefer the second format as it gives the most flexibility.

                    The only issue I see is that these actions would need to be executed asynchronously on a seperate thread. That would mean that WUHU would need to track all of the threads it creates to launch FTP uploads and gracefully terminate them if the user exits the application. In general, I never have the operating system clean up for me although I might make an exception in this case since the thread has all of the information in needs in a single string (allocated from the heap).

                    Currently WUHU launches processes as detached and does not wait for them.

                    For example, I am uploading files to an FTP server using this action:

                    silent:ftp.exe "-n -s:c:\Heavyweather\FTPScript.txt"

                    Since that process is spawned and detached, WUHU does not need to wait for the child process to exit, unlike a local thread.

                    If you are interested in writing the above described function, let me know.

                    I am using MFC and C++.

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Allen <rico@...> wrote:

                    > Yes, I know it can be done with a separate ftp application. I wanted
                    > WUHU to do it for me so I didn't have to set up and configure yet
                    > another app. :P
                    >
                    > Rich
                    >

                    > wuhu_software wrote:
                    > > Rich,
                    > >
                    > > You can do this easily enough.
                    > >
                    > > You would create an XML template input file.
                    > >
                    > > The resulting output XML file is created on the local hard drive.
                    > >
                    > > After the template is processed, you then launch an FTP session to
                    > > upload the output file. You can also launch this process silently so
                    > > that it does not pop up a window.
                    > >
                    > > If you need any help with templates, let us know.
                    > >
                    > > Thanks.
                    > >

                    > > ---
                    > >
                    > > It was just a "nice to have" idea, no big deal. What I was thinking
                    > > of was for WUHU to create an in-memory XML document, post that to an
                    > > arbitrary site via FTP, and move on. But now I'm set on hosting my
                    > > web sites here at the house so it's moot. I won't need the feature
                    > > anymore. :)
                    > >
                    > > Rich

                    > > WUHU Download page:

                  • Larry Myers
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 26, 2008
                      Could do something similar by using a bat file as the action and placing all of that into the batch file, but I am not sure how WUHU and windows would handle the cleanup there. But that may not help the situation. or maybe a bat file to call a bat file without the wait for the second bat to finish so you would then be letting windows handle the closing of the second command prompt that is generated and WUHU would almost instantly be given the first bat file back ok. Just a thought albeit abstract.

                      Larry