Re: Bad upload data

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
      Mike,

      What is interesting is that the Heavyweather application is indeed
      writing bogus data to the currdat.lst file but somehow this does not
      make in to the history.dat file.

      There are a couple of theories why this is the case. Firstly, the
      currdat.lst file is written once per minute by Heavyweather, no once
      per update (9 seconds in wired mode). Since it reading 5 samples per
      history file save, it might just be random. The other theory is that
      somehow it can detect bad data and rejects it internally.

      A way to catch the Heavyweather application writing bad data is to use
      the alarms/events. You can set an alarm for low temperature for
      instance. When you hear the audio, open currdat.lst with notepad within
      1 minute. You can see that the bogus data is being generated by
      Heavyweather.

      From what I gather from these forums, the best way to eliminate bogus
      data is to build a shielded cable. I have not modified my wiring, but
      it will be interesting to see if this corrects the problem. If anyone
      has modified the cable, please post your results.

      I have attempted to detect and eliminate bogus wind readings and
      others. I am not sure if I had done the same on version 129 that is
      available from the alternative download page. I believe I posted a
      message on the rules I used to attempt to detect bad data previously.

      If you have any idea or rules that can be applied to the data, let me
      know. I am willing to modify the application if we can find simple
      rules to detect bogus data.

      P.S. Are there any source of EM radiation, power dips, or anything else
      that happens at that time around your home? Just wondering.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Frerkes"
      <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
      > I have also experienced erroneous data uploads, almost always a
      > temperature and dew point reading of 0. I've traced the defective
      > data to the WUHU program itself, because those extreme readings are
      > not registered on HeavyWeather or the La Crosse base unit.
      >
      > My false readings always seem to appear in the early morning hours
      > between 12am and 5am, and always within the first five minutes of the
      > hour (e.g. 1:03am or 4:05am). I have the upload interval set at five
      > minutes, so it might be related to that in some way. There has never
      > been a bad reading after the first five minutes of each hour.
      >
      > These incorrect readings are uploaded to both Weather Underground and
      > CWOP, so I've ruled out any data glitches on their end. Hopefully
      > this information may assist you in isolating the cause of the problem.
    • Mike Frerkes
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 29, 2005
        There are no sources of EM interference I'm aware of. I have
        learned that you should never use a metal pole as a mast for the
        anemometer, however. A couple of weeks ago, I switched to PVC pipe
        and the wind readings are now flawless, even with a cabled
        connection. Before the switch, I couldn't use the cabled connection
        because the wind readings would be horribly inaccurate.

        I'm puzzled why the bad readings (i.e zero degree temp) DO NOT show
        up on my HeavyWeather program under the min/max tabs for temperature
        and dewpoint, or on the base unit's display. There is no rhyme or
        reason to their occurence. Sometimes I may go an entire week
        without a false reading. There have been a few instances where I've
        registered two in the same day. The only common thread is that they
        occur within the first five minutes of each hour AND they always
        take place between 12am and 5am.

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 30, 2005
          Mike,

          On my system, I seem to run for weeks without a single bad reading.
          Other times, I will have windspeed errors combined with other errors
          in rapid succession. I have not been able to find a pattern to it.

          The other possibility for these bad reading being written to
          currdat.lst and not to the history file might possibly be a bug in
          Heavyweather itself. It is difficult to say.

          One thing that is for certain is that Heavyweather is writting bogus
          data.

          Here is an example of a bad reading put out by Heavyweather:

          [rain_24h]
          mm = "15370.0"
          inch = "605.11"

          This was found in the currdat.lst file. As you can see, Heavyweather
          is writing bogus data for both mm and inch measurements. The same is
          true for bad temps and windspeed data as well.

          These bogus readings will be overwritten on the next update performed
          by Heavyweather (which updates the currdat.lst file once per minute).

          As I mentioned before, I attempted to catch some of these errors. For
          instance, when reading temperature, if the current reading is not
          within 10 degrees of the average temperature readings over the past
          ten minutes, then the software will use the last valid temperature
          reading (that passed the above test) as the current temperature
          reading.

          These features were added in one of the later versions and is
          definetly in version 129.

          Which version are you running? If you are running version 129 and
          still seeing these bogus temperature readings when running version
          129 let me know. I can look over the code to see if there is a
          mistake.

          Thanks.

          <mfrerkes@m...> wrote:
> [...]
          > are
          > > > not registered on HeavyWeather or the La Crosse base unit.
          > > >
          > > > My false readings always seem to appear in the early morning
          > hours
          > > > between 12am and 5am, and always within the first five minutes
          > of the
          > > > hour (e.g. 1:03am or 4:05am). I have the upload interval set
          at
          > five
          > > > minutes, so it might be related to that in some way. There has
          > never
          > > > been a bad reading after the first five minutes of each hour.
          > > >
          > > > These incorrect readings are uploaded to both Weather
          > Underground and
          > > > CWOP, so I've ruled out any data glitches on their end.
          > Hopefully
          > > > this information may assist you in isolating the cause of the
        • Mike Frerkes
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 30, 2005
            I was running an earlier version (maybe 127 or 126). I have just
            installed the 129 version, so I'll see if anything changes with
            respect to this problem.

            If you are experiencing wind-related errors, consider using PVC pipe
            for the mast. I was using metal pipe up until a few weeks ago. On
            days above 90, the metal would get hot and cause siginificant errors
            in the wind data, even in wireless mode. After switching to PVC, I
            was able to run the unit cabled, and now even on 90-degree days my
            data is error-free.

            Thanks for you help and suggestions with my problem.

            Mike

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 31, 2005
              Mike,

              It appears that the data sent to the weather station and received
              from the weather station does include a simple data integrity check.

              The data frames contain what appears to be a single byte checksum.
              Although this is not a very reliable data integrity check (CRC would
              have been much better), it should catch transmission errors between
              the weather station and the PC. My guess is that the serial data
              between the weather station and the PC is fine and that the problem
              is really with the station and it's data collection from the sensors.

              Reading over the other forums, it appears that the data sent from the
              sensors to the weather station does not include even a simple
              checksum to validate the data.

              When corrupt data is retrieved from the sensors, the weather station
              is not performing data integrity checking, it is probably just
              passing the info to the PC.

              Heavyweather may or not be attempting to peform some checking
              internally (before it sends to it's user interface or history.dat
              file, but all indications are that it passes on the bogus data to
              currdat.lst.

              As consumers, we only have two options to reduce this noise.

              1) Reduce the potential for noise.
              2) Attempt to filter out bad data with range checking.

              In the case of 1 as you mentioned, the sensors should not be mounted
              to a metal mast (I have mine mounted on an aluminum rod). We can also
              attempt to reduce the noise produced by the cheap wiring as mention
              by other posters.

              As for 2, as mentioned, I have done some basic data checking. It is
              far from perfect though. I will continue to pursue improving the
              error checking.

              If any user is detecting bad data in the uploads using version 129 or
              later, please forward the information to me. Please capture the
              entire line of data including temperature, wind speed, ect so that I
              can see if there is a detectable pattern.

              I want to be very careful on filtering the data as I do not want to
              mask out rapidly changing conditions (such as wind gust data during
              severe conditions).

              Thanks for your help.