Re: Live Broadcast

    Message 1 of 24 , Feb 28 9:28 AM
      John,

      Weather Underground is using Linux based servers. We need a
      compatible server and client package that supports both Linux and
      Windows. We also really need to make it on demand so that the clients
      are not streaming 24x7.

      I am sure there is something out there.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, John Liss <john@...>
      wrote:

      > Pardon my not following this thread, but are you guys broadcasting
      the
      > weather station alerts via the Internet?
      > I have a old bear cat scanner that can pick up the weather station
      info
      > broadcasts... should be easy as pie to steam them with windows
      media
      > server. (comes with w2k and w2k3)
      >
      > wuhu_software sat down at the console on 2/28/2006 6:53 AM and
      madly
      > banged out:
      > > Mark,
      > >
      > > It was active this morning around 6am. I had no indications of a
      > > failure. I had to shut it down as I needed the audio for
      something
      > > else.
      > >
      > > I did not look at it too closely at the Winamp DSP uploader to
      see if
      > > there was a visual indicator of upload status and/or packet
      counts.

      > > Can you tell if it is continuing to upload on your side Mark?
      > >
      > > If it was still uploading, maybe your audio source went mute for
      some
      > > reason?
      > >
      > > It is also possible that the computer at WU dedicated for
      streaming
      > > went dead for some reason.
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "markhkelley"
      > > <markhkelley@> wrote:
      > >
      > >> Steve,
      > >> Not sure why, I just clicked back on the winamp icon, and it
      > >>
      > > started
      > >
      > >> broadcasting again.
      > >> WUHU, or Alan, Does the encoder idle after a certain amount of
      > >> broadcast time?
      > >> Mark+
      > >>

      > >> --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "steve_03222"

      > > it

    • John Liss
      Message 2 of 24 , Feb 28 9:35 AM
        Aw that is the real challenge isn't it? making it multi platform.
        I think you are probably going to be going with 2 packages. Most of the unix stuff isn't going to work on windows and visa versa.

        wuhu_software sat down at the console on 2/28/2006 10:28 AM and madly banged out:

        <steve_03222@> wrote:

        Was working last night just after 10:00 PM. This morning at

        6:15

        it

        was not working. Said it was unavailable.

        Steve

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        WUHU Download page:
        http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/
        Yahoo! Groups Links

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Alan Steremberg
        Message 3 of 24 , Feb 28 9:38 AM
          Actually, the server will run on linux, and from what I can tell if you use MP3 streams so that most any audio player will work (itunes, winamp, windows media player, etc.)

          Alan

          <steve_03222@> wrote:

          Was working last night just after 10:00 PM. This morning at
          6:15

          it

          was not working. Said it was unavailable.

          Steve

          To visit your group on the web, go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/ Want more or less group messages (Special notices as a minimum)?http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wuhu_software_group/join To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: wuhu_software_group-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com WUHU Download page: http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          WUHU Download page:
          http://home.comcast.net/~wuhu_software/

          Personal weather station Weather stations Standard edition

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          --
          Alan Steremberg
          Weather Underground
          Message 4 of 24 , Feb 28 1:29 PM
            WUHU,
            From my side it looks like it is live and on-line...
            Please check and advise..
            Mark+
            Message 5 of 24 , Feb 28 2:08 PM
              Just pulled it up, it is working over here.

              <markhkelley@...> wrote:

              > WUHU,
              > From my side it looks like it is live and on-line...
              > Please check and advise..
              > Mark+

            • markhkelley
              Message 6 of 24 , Feb 28 2:19 PM
                WUHU,
                and other interested parties, At the request of the folks from
                Weather Underground, I am leaving the broadcast on-line until further
                notice. Please monitor the broadcast from time to time to verify
                quality, and on-line status.
                Any discrepancies, please notify me via here / or email
                markhkelley@....
                Thanks,
                Mark+
                Message 7 of 24 , Feb 28 2:59 PM
                  I just got home and it is working fine here. I will leave it on all
                  night again.
                  I think I heard someone say that the took it down around 6:00AM. I
                  check it this morning just after 6:00 whenI could not get the station.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Feb 28 3:00 PM
                    How many people do you think will actually be streaming a live
                    broadcast?
                    I would suspect the nu,ber would not be that high. Maybe I am wrong.
                    Message 9 of 24 , Feb 28 4:37 PM
                      I suspect that as many people as are needed will participate.

                      Look how many weather stations there are. Hundreds at least.

                      <steve_03222@...> wrote:

                      > How many people do you think will actually be streaming a live
                      > broadcast?
                      > I would suspect the nu,ber would not be that high. Maybe I am wrong.

                    • phantomodopera
                      Message 10 of 24 , Feb 28 5:25 PM
                        OK I really dont know what I'm doing, but I figured I would give it a
                        try, but I really didnt want to have to install more software to
                        listen to the broadcast. So here is what I did

                        Using windows media player ( v10 I think 9 is the same )
                        choose "file", then "open url" then enter the address
                        http://66.28.69.139:9000/ (WITHOUT the "listen.pls") and it works fine
                        and I didnt have to install winamp

                        now for the stupid question, Could you give a quick overview of what
                        you are intending on doing? i read through most of the 'Live
                        broadcast' messages but never really got a full understanding.

                        Thanks

                        PS put me down as another that would like to see a running history in
                        WUHU ( maybe just a check box option?)
                        Message 11 of 24 , Feb 28 6:24 PM
                          Running history? You mean to update the history.dat file that
                          Heavyweather updates?

                          The overview of the streaming of NWS radio can be found here:

                          Message 12 of 24 , Feb 28 7:19 PM
                            no, I would like to use the ws23xx serial option ( and so no heavy
                            weather at all) and have it append to an independent history file
                            (maybe a new file monthly?) basically the same format as the comma
                            delimited avail under daily on weather underground.

                            Thanks for the link

                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                              With the new action "On updates" an external program can be written
                              to do just that. I will try to make a demo over the next couple of
                              days.

                              Thanks.

                              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "phantomodopera"

                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                                Are we still checking out the live broadcast. Do you want us to stream
                                all night again?

                                Steve
                              • Alan Steremberg

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                                    Not a problem to leave it on if it will help you out at all.

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                                      Not a problem to leave it on if it will help you out at all.

                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 1, 2006
                                        Now that you have done some testing does it appear that this system
                                        will be a GO?

                                        If so I will order a weather radio so I can start getting ready for it.

                                        Thanks, Steve
                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 9, 2006
                                          Mark, Did you do some more tweaking? Volume seems as load as it was
                                          last week. Very clear.

                                          Nice

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 10, 2006
                                            Lost the Live Broadcast sometime last night.
                                            I clicked on the link this morning and the signal is loud & cleasr.