Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Cheap stuff and easy computer hookups...

  • Jon Golubiewski
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      I received the WS3600(?) as a gift.  It had the touch screen, etc..  The screen was OK, but the menu was clumsy and awkward at best.  It didn't display much information at the same time.

      I returned it and bought a WS2315 from Provantage.com.  It came with a second WS2310 display unit for ~$140
      I ran both wireless and used WUHU to update Wunderground.  The sensors and the software work flawlessly.  I live in NH, so I've seen -20 to 103 degree weather without problems.  The only downfall with wireless is that the wind sensor updates every x minutes and you really don't see the weather "happening".

      I subsequently ran the "wireless hack" and I now receive wind speed updates every 2-3 seconds on both consoles (one of which is connected to the computer).  I really like my Lacrosse and I feel that it can't be beat for a low cost entry level system that includes everything you need regarding hardware and software.

      Just my $0.02  :-)

      Jon G.

      On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 9:41 PM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

      The Sam's website has the WS-2315AL for $111. Costco for $89.

      Sam's carries the Oregon Scientific for $176, that is a pretty good
      price for the unit, they are typically $225 to $250.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Andrews"

      <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

      > I looked at our Sam's last night and could not find it. Will have
      to ask, I
      > guess. Thanks.
      >
      > On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...>

      > wrote:
      >

      > > You can pick up a WS-2308 or a WS-2317 at a Costco or Sam's Club
      for
      > > around $80 to $100. I would avoid ebay purchases for that reason.
      > >
      > > You will not need Heavyweather to communicate with the console.
      WUHU
      > > can communicate with the console directly.
      > >
      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
      40yahoogroups.com>,

      > > "nicothefabulous"
      > > <nickjandrews@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hello, I just joined, and am looking at different hardware,
      trying to
      > > > decide what to buy. Are the el cheapo La Crosse units worth
      messing
      > > > with? I am seeing the 2317 on ebay for $120, and the 2315 for a
      > > > hundred. Does the included Heavy Weather sw work well enough or
      is it
      > > > a real PITA to use with the website? Thanks.
      > > >
      > > > Nick
      > > >

      > --
      > Nick A
      >
      > "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had
      but a
      > single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975
      >
      > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
      temporary safety
      > deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical
      Review