Cheap stuff and easy computer hookups...

  • nicothefabulous
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
      Hello, I just joined, and am looking at different hardware, trying to
      decide what to buy. Are the el cheapo La Crosse units worth messing
      with? I am seeing the 2317 on ebay for $120, and the 2315 for a
      hundred. Does the included Heavy Weather sw work well enough or is it
      a real PITA to use with the website? Thanks.

      Nick
    • Rich Brunnworth
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
        I use a LaCrosse 2310 as I feel they are better units, meaning they
        update quicker than the other LaCrosse units. I run my system in wired
        mode rather than wireless.

        I use HW as an interface piece of software between the station and VWS
        Internet edition. I let VWS take care of the website stuff and it works
        just great. Others may have different opinions.

        Rich

        --
        Rich
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
          You can pick up a WS-2308 or a WS-2317 at a Costco or Sam's Club for
          around $80 to $100. I would avoid ebay purchases for that reason.

          You will not need Heavyweather to communicate with the console. WUHU
          can communicate with the console directly.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "nicothefabulous"
          <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

          > Hello, I just joined, and am looking at different hardware, trying to
          > decide what to buy. Are the el cheapo La Crosse units worth messing
          > with? I am seeing the 2317 on ebay for $120, and the 2315 for a
          > hundred. Does the included Heavy Weather sw work well enough or is it
          > a real PITA to use with the website? Thanks.
          >
          > Nick

        • Nick Andrews
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
            I looked at our Sam's last night and could not find it.  Will have to ask, I guess.  Thanks.

            --
            Nick A

            "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had but a single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975

            "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

            "Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you meet." Anonymous

            "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about somebody, then you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." Jeff Foxworthy
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
              The Sam's website has the WS-2315AL for $111. Costco for $89.

              Sam's carries the Oregon Scientific for $176, that is a pretty good
              price for the unit, they are typically $225 to $250.

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Nick Andrews"
              <nickjandrews@...> wrote:

              > I looked at our Sam's last night and could not find it. Will have
              to ask, I
              > guess. Thanks.
              >
              > On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 5:45 PM, wuhu_software <wuhu_software@...>
              > wrote:
              >

              > > You can pick up a WS-2308 or a WS-2317 at a Costco or Sam's Club
              for
              > > around $80 to $100. I would avoid ebay purchases for that reason.
              > >
              > > You will not need Heavyweather to communicate with the console.
              WUHU
              > > can communicate with the console directly.
              > >
              > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com<wuhu_software_group%
              40yahoogroups.com>,
              > > "nicothefabulous"
              > > <nickjandrews@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello, I just joined, and am looking at different hardware,
              trying to
              > > > decide what to buy. Are the el cheapo La Crosse units worth
              messing
              > > > with? I am seeing the 2317 on ebay for $120, and the 2315 for a
              > > > hundred. Does the included Heavy Weather sw work well enough or
              is it
              > > > a real PITA to use with the website? Thanks.
              > > >
              > > > Nick
              > > >

              > --
              > Nick A
              >
              > "You know what I wish? I wish that all the scum of the world had
              but a
              > single throat, and I had my hands about it..." Rorschach, 1975
              >
              > "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little
              temporary safety
              > deserve neither liberty nor safety."- Benjamin Franklin, Historical
              Review
              > of Pennsylvania, 1759
              >
              > "Be polite. Be professional. But be prepared to kill everyone you
              meet."
              > Anonymous
              >
              > "I believe that if you can't find something nice to say about
              somebody, then
              > you must be talking about Hillary Clinton." Jeff Foxworthy

            • Jon Golubiewski
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2008
                I received the WS3600(?) as a gift.  It had the touch screen, etc..  The screen was OK, but the menu was clumsy and awkward at best.  It didn't display much information at the same time.

                I returned it and bought a WS2315 from Provantage.com.  It came with a second WS2310 display unit for ~$140
                I ran both wireless and used WUHU to update Wunderground.  The sensors and the software work flawlessly.  I live in NH, so I've seen -20 to 103 degree weather without problems.  The only downfall with wireless is that the wind sensor updates every x minutes and you really don't see the weather "happening".

                I subsequently ran the "wireless hack" and I now receive wind speed updates every 2-3 seconds on both consoles (one of which is connected to the computer).  I really like my Lacrosse and I feel that it can't be beat for a low cost entry level system that includes everything you need regarding hardware and software.

                Just my $0.02  :-)

                Jon G.