WS2310 suddenly not communicating with WUHU

  • Kathy L Barnes (nee Sanborn)
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2008
      OK, I run WUHU directly (not through Heavyweather) using my LaCross
      WS2310. It has run fine until this past week, when suddenly I started
      getting constant error messages such as these:

      Mon Jun 02 17:04:23 2008 > Attempting to re-open port COM1.
      Mon Jun 02 17:04:23 2008 > Port COM1 re-opened successfully,
      attempting to resume communications.
      Mon Jun 02 17:05:19 2008 > An error occurred reading the wind speed
      and direction from the console.

      and

      Mon Jun 02 20:12:32 2008 > An error occurred reading the wind speed
      and direction from the console.
      Mon Jun 02 20:12:32 2008 > Time to next console communication: 5000
      milliseconds.

      or data black outs such as this:

      Mon Jun 02 17:05:19 2008 > Communications error or invalid/corrupt
      data retrieved from console.

      I've reset the WS2310 (pressing Pressure & Wind) to clear out all old
      data several times. I tried taking the batteries out and unplugging
      it for several minutes, then plugging it in and resetting, without
      success. I've replaced the batteries in the sender and checked the
      incoming wiring from the wind and rain gauges. I've tried running
      Heavyweather (by itself) just to see if I'm getting any data, and I
      get all the data (temps, pressure - which I've set from a nearby
      station's data - wind, etc.) - it's just not getting into WUHU or
      (like it did this afternoon) it comes in for a short time, then stops
      again. Any ideas?
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
        Kathy,

        Does the wind speed and direction show up on the console? If not,
        this might indicate that the wind sensor has failed for some reason.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Kathy L Barnes (nee

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 3, 2008
          Kathy,

          I should have clarified my earlier questions.

          Since your problem is intermittent, you will need to wait until WUHU
          is generating errors then look to the console to see if the wind data
          is showing up on the console.

          Also note whether other data is present when this is happening. We
          need to isolate whether this is a remote thermo sensor problem or a
          wind sensor only problem.