Re: Another WU?

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
      Dan,

      It might work. I am guessing the author of the template knows what
      each field should be.

      There are a couple things that look odd, like the date in the form of
      day/month/year rather than month/day/year or year/month/day, but I
      guess the website owner must know that.

      For heat index and windchill, I would use the windchill (which is
      really apparent tempeature) for both fields. Heat index and wind
      chill are exclusive, so the use of apparent temperature makes more
      sense.

      It appears that the last field in the template is rainfall over the
      past 24 hours rather than daily rainfall?

      It would be nice to see the definition of each field for
      documentation purposes (ie. the units for each field) along with a
      sample output line.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"
      <utahweatherbear@...> wrote:

> [...]
      >
      > Weather Underground HeavyWeather Uploader (WUHU) Configuration
      >
      > NOTE! Needs WUHU 216 Beta 40 or newer !!
      >
      > Save the file WUHU_stickertags.txt to folder of your choice.
      >
      > Expand WUHU and click the Alerts/Actions-button. A new window will
      > appear.
      >
      > In Main Action/Alert, select Enable Actions and Repetitions and set
      > the value for Selections to 1.
      >
      > In WUHU Operation Alarms/Actions, select On Weather Update. If you
      > want to update the file ie. every 2 minutes, select also On Update
      > Seconds and set the value to 120.
      >
      > Click on Sound/Action-button (below Weather Update). A new window
      > will appear.
      >
      > Write the next string in Action on Activation:
      > template:"X:\(where_you_have_saved_WUHU_stickertags.txt)\WUHU-
      > stickertags.txt" "X:\(where_you_want_to_save_the_file)
      > \WU_stickertags.txt"
      > X: is the partition-letter. The above string is an example,
      configure
      > to match your own computer.
      >
      > Confirm by clicking OK
      >
      > Save the changes with Save Changes
      >
      > Simply join and we will take it from there.
      >
      > You should be able to see your file in action at
      > www.yourweatherwebsite.com/WU_stickertags.txt
      >
      > dan

      > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
      > >

      > > A template could be created to format the data in the form they
      > want.
      > >
      > > They post a WD template like:
      > >
      > > %time%,%stationDate%,%temp%,%heati%,%windch%,%hum%,%dew%,%baro%,%
      > > pressuretrendname%,%avgspd%,%dirlabel%,%dayrnusa%
      > >
      > > The only question that remains is what are the units for each of
      > the
      > > fields?
      > >
      > > For example, is barometer given in InHg or MB? Although they give
      > > example templates, they do not give the units for the data.
      > >
      > > If you can contact them and get the info, I can write the
      template
      > > easily enough.
      > >
      > > You would then apparently need to upload your output template
      file
      > > a FTP server where they can pull it down. You can do that easily
      > > enough with an On Update action.
      > >

      > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"
      > > <utahweatherbear@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > got the following e-mail from the sw wxnet dude. any way you
      can
      > > get
      > > > WUHU to work with them? kind of a cool page they've got.
      > > >
      > > > dan
      > > >
      > > > Hi Dan,
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for the interest in the SWN. I checked out your web page
      > and
      > > > it appears that you have put a lot of work into it. However, I
      > > don't
      > > > think there is any way for you to join the SWN and have your
      data
      > > > posted to our mesomap. For the sites that you mentioned, your
      > > > software pushes the data to them.
      > > >
      > > > For the SWN, our members use VWS, Weather Display, or
      WeatherLink
      > > > place a data file on their site, and then our server pulls that
      > > data
      > > > for the map as needed.
      > > >
      > > > You seem to be uploading your data to WU, and CWOP and then
      > > > populating your website with graphics and data tables created
      by
      > > > them. You have a nice website, but unless you are using one of
      > > those
      > > > 3 programs, there's no way for us to pull your data and place
      you
      > > on
      > > > the mesomap.
      > > >
      > > > It's unfortunate, because I think that South Ogden would fill
      in
      > > > little hole above Olympus Cove, and we need more UT members.
      > > >
      > > > If I'm mistaken in your software use and you can upload our
      data
      > > file
      > > > to your website, or if you decide to start using one of the
      other
      > > > programs, let me know. The other main requirement of membership
      > in
      > > > the SWN is that you have a Southwestern Weather Network link on
      > > your
      > > > weather home page that links to another page on your site with
      > info
      > > > on the SWN and its members. Most members run the mesomap to
      meet
      > > that
      > > > requirement.
      > > >
      > > > Best regards,
      > > >
      > > > Chris
      > > > www.sloweather.com

    • Juha Jäntti
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 5, 2008
        Hi all!

        We have this same project running in Finland, known as "Nordic Weather
        Network", which implements a station list from Finland, Sweden and Norway.

        Here's a link to see the map:

        http://www.nordicweather.net/index.php?sivu=100&lang=en

        I was one behind in getting WUHU users online in the Nordic Weather
        Network, so after discovering the growing interest among WUHU users
        here, I decided it's best shared with my fellow WUHU users, too :)

        This is the template I'm using in WUHU-WX.txt which is the Template
        input file:

        --Begin--
        %[time2]time_24hr_hour%:%[time2]time_minutes%,%[time2]time_day%/%[time2]time_month%/%[time2]time_year_no_century%,%[outdoor_temperature]deg_C%,---,%[windchill]deg_C%,%[outdoor_humidity]percent%,%[dewpoint]deg_C%,%[pressure_relative]hpa%,%[hourly_rates_of_change]outdoor_relative_pressure_trend%,%[wind_speed]mps%,%[wind_direction]name%,%[rain_24h]mm%
        -- End --

        The output looks like this in the output file:

        --Begin--
        16:51,05/06/08,24.4,---,24.6,33.0,7.0,1018.63,Falling,1.3,NNE,0.00
        -- End --

        Those three dashes in one of the output fields need to be there, since
        it is for the Heat Index, which doesn't exist as a standalone value.
        WUHU calculates the Heat Index to the Windchill value, changing the
        field automatically to Heat Index value as soon as outdoor temperature
        rises above 50°F (+10°C).

        I'm using this template to cast out live data to the Nordic map and it
        works flawlessly, so I think this template will fit like a glove to
        other similar networks.

        Best Regards,
        Juha
        Weather Station Operator
        FinWX Station HELKan-1
        Operating Finland's first Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 Station.
        Helsinki, Finland
        CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 5, 2008
          Juha,

          Thanks for posting.

          Perhaps we need to make a folder in the Files section that is for
          templates such as this.

          If we store the templates as simple .txt files, users can download
          the templates and use them immediately without having to re-format
          the template from posted messages.

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti