Re: WUHU History.dat format?

  • Syd
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 2, 2008

      It looks like i will have to fall back to using either the LST file or mock up a template.

      C# has a problem converting the date from the dat file. I am using the FromOADate function of the datetime type and its not converting the date properly.  C# gives 5/30/2008 20:00, and the lst file says its Mon Jun 02 01:07:01 2008 - I'll have to work on that.

      In the mean time i looked at the LST file and it has just about every kind of conversion of every data point - shame its in the INI file format - The coder in me wants to do an INI to XML convertion and then some sort of XSLT - before you say it - i know i can do the same thing with a template - but whats the fun in that?

      Thanks for the super software, without it could not do any of this easily.

      > Syd,
      >
      > There are several ways to access the weather data from WUHU.
      >
      > 1) Parse the history.dat file output by WUHU. You could monitor this
      > file for changes then read the last fixed-length record to get the
      > latest data.
      >
      > 2) You could output a CSV file using a template and On Update Action.
      > The target file can be re-written or appended.
      >
      > 3) You can use an action (On Update Data action) to send live data to
      > your web server. Using replacement strings, you can send a URL
      > containing live data.
      >
      > I guess the method of data retrieval depends on whether or not you
      > want the live data or archived data as well.
      >

      > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Syd" sydkahn@ wrote:
      > >
      > > My goal is to put up a C# asmx webservice I can reference from some
      > > of my public web sites. I make the asumption that WUHU maintains
      > > rs232 connection to the weather station and the webservice would
      > need
      > > to get its data from the dat file(s). Probably will just convert
      > the
      > > dat to some database records on a periodic basis. The weather
      > > doesn't change all that fast ;-) ...
      > >
      > > I managed to get a google gadget to display a Weather underground
      > > thingy (technical term :) and wanted to try my hand at something a
      > > little more elaborate.
      > >
      > > It depends on what project as to what language - C# or Java (or vb6
      > > or Javascript) web and gui is done in Micro$oft, command line
      > > utilities are done in java. I get paid to do Java on a daily basis
      > as
      > > much as I hate it.

      > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
      > > >

      > > > Syd,
      > > >
      > > > The WUHU History.dat is used for internal use only. It holds the
      > > > weather data for the past X hours where X is the "Hours of
      > Weather
      > > > Data in Memory" setting in the general settings.
      > > >
      > > > If you want to work with history files, you will probably want to
      > > > work with the history.dat that can be output by WUHU. The format
      > of
      > > > this file is the same as used by Heavyweather Pro.
      > > >
      > > > Are you looking to develop an add-on application that processes
      > > > history files? If so, which development language will you be
      > using?
      > > >

      > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Syd" <sydkahn@>

      > > the

    • scruzphreak
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 3, 2008

        C# gives 5/30/2008 20:00, and the lst file says its Mon Jun
        02 01:07:01 2008 -
        <<

        You're off by 5 hours. What time zone are you in? Are you in eastern
        time (GMT-5)?

        What C# routine are you using to parse the date?

        -ms

      • fikkaud
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
          I'm monitoring the currdat.lst on update, and updating a MySql
          database every 5min.
          Then sky's the limit when it comes to presenting and pulling stats
          on the web.

          I wrote a PERL script to accomplish the data storage, and pull what
          I need for my website with php.

          regards
          Audun
          http://vindkast.no

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "scruzphreak" <ms@...>
          wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > Syd,
          > > >
          > > > There are several ways to access the weather data from WUHU.
          > > >
          > > > 1) Parse the history.dat file output by WUHU. You could
          monitor
          > this
          > > > file for changes then read the last fixed-length record to get
          the
          > > > latest data.
          > > >
          > > > 2) You could output a CSV file using a template and On Update
          > Action.
          > > > The target file can be re-written or appended.
          > > >
          > > > 3) You can use an action (On Update Data action) to send live
          > data to
          > > > your web server. Using replacement strings, you can send a URL
          > > > containing live data.
          > > >
          > > > I guess the method of data retrieval depends on whether or not
          you
          > > > want the live data or archived data as well.

        • Syd Kahn
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
            If you look at the dates - one is 5/30 and the other 6/02 - sigh...

            in actuality - this are the wo lines that do the work

            double

            ts = br.ReadDouble();
            S.Timestamp =
            DateTime.FromOADate(ts);

            http://www.Whatididwas.com , http://www.sydkahn.com ,
            http://whatididwas.blogspot.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 4, 2008
              Syd,

              Which field in the INI file are you reading to extract the timestamp?

              Is it the following?

              [time]
              last_actualisation = 3421587681

              --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Syd Kahn" <sydkahn@...>

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 5, 2008
                I am going directly to the dat file - reading the binary data. Like this:

                public struct HwProStruct
                    {
                        public DateTime Timestamp;       //00    Double [8]  Timestamp          days from 12/30/1899 00:00:00 (GMT)
                        public float AbsPressure;      //08    Float  [4]  Abs Pressure       hectopascals (millibars)
                        public float RelativePressure; //12    Float  [4]  Relative Pressure  hectopascals (millibars)
                        public float WindSpeed;      //16    Float  [4]  Wind Speed         meters/second
                        public ulong WindDirection;    //20    ULong  [4]  Wind Direction     see below
                        public float WindGust;         //24    Float  [4]  Wind Gust          meters/second
                        public float TotalRainfall;    //28    Float  [4]  Total Rainfall     millimeters
                        public float NewRainfall;      //32    Float  [4]  New Rainfall       millimeters
                        public float IndoorTemp;       //36    Float  [4]  Indoor Temp        celsius
                        public float OutdoorTemp;      //40    Float  [4]  Outdoor Temp       celsius
                        public float IndoorHumidity;   //44    Float  [4]  Indoor Humidity    %
                        public float OutdoorHumidity;  //48    Float  [4]  Outdoor Humidity   %
                        public float Unknown;          //52    ULong  [4]  unknown            - (Value is always 0)

                        public static HwProStruct FromBinaryReaderField(BinaryReader br)
                        {
                            HwProStruct s = new HwProStruct();
                            double ts = br.ReadDouble();
                            s.Timestamp = DateTime.FromOADate(ts);
                            //s.Timestamp = DateTime.FromOADate(br.ReadDouble());
                            //DateTime d = Convert.ToDateTime(s.Timestamp);
                            s.AbsPressure = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.RelativePressure = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.WindSpeed = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.WindDirection = br.ReadUInt32();
                            s.WindGust = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.TotalRainfall = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.NewRainfall = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.IndoorTemp = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.OutdoorTemp = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.IndoorHumidity = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.OutdoorHumidity = br.ReadSingle();
                            s.Unknown = br.ReadUInt32();
                            return s;
                        }

                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 5, 2008
                  Syd,

                  Here is the function used to convert from time_t to double.

                  As I recall, La Crosse did something weird like adjusting the time to
                  GMT local time.

                  If you figure it out, let me know.

                  ---

                  double Convert_time_t_To_DateTime2(time_t vtime_t)

                  {
                  double fresult;
                  // 25569 days from Saturday, December 30, 1899 to Sunday, January 1,
                  1970 (where time_t seconds counts from)
                  double fDeltaDays = 25569 + (vtime_t / (60 * 60 * 24));
                  double fFractionDays = (vtime_t % (60 * 60 * 24)) / (double)(60 * 60 *
                  24);
                  fresult = fDeltaDays+fFractionDays;
                  return (fresult);
                  }