Re: Another WU?

  • utahweatherbear
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
      got the following e-mail from the sw wxnet dude. any way you can get
      WUHU to work with them? kind of a cool page they've got.

      dan

      Hi Dan,

      Thanks for the interest in the SWN. I checked out your web page and
      it appears that you have put a lot of work into it. However, I don't
      think there is any way for you to join the SWN and have your data
      posted to our mesomap. For the sites that you mentioned, your
      software pushes the data to them.

      For the SWN, our members use VWS, Weather Display, or WeatherLink to
      place a data file on their site, and then our server pulls that data
      for the map as needed.

      You seem to be uploading your data to WU, and CWOP and then
      populating your website with graphics and data tables created by
      them. You have a nice website, but unless you are using one of those
      3 programs, there's no way for us to pull your data and place you on
      the mesomap.

      It's unfortunate, because I think that South Ogden would fill in a
      little hole above Olympus Cove, and we need more UT members.

      If I'm mistaken in your software use and you can upload our data file
      to your website, or if you decide to start using one of the other
      programs, let me know. The other main requirement of membership in
      the SWN is that you have a Southwestern Weather Network link on your
      weather home page that links to another page on your site with info
      on the SWN and its members. Most members run the mesomap to meet that
      requirement.

      Best regards,

      Chris
      www.sloweather.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
        A template could be created to format the data in the form they want.

        They post a WD template like:

        %time%,%stationDate%,%temp%,%heati%,%windch%,%hum%,%dew%,%baro%,%
        pressuretrendname%,%avgspd%,%dirlabel%,%dayrnusa%

        The only question that remains is what are the units for each of the
        fields?

        For example, is barometer given in InHg or MB? Although they give
        example templates, they do not give the units for the data.

        If you can contact them and get the info, I can write the template
        easily enough.

        You would then apparently need to upload your output template file to
        a FTP server where they can pull it down. You can do that easily
        enough with an On Update action.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "utahweatherbear"
        <utahweatherbear@...> wrote:

        > got the following e-mail from the sw wxnet dude. any way you can
        get
        > WUHU to work with them? kind of a cool page they've got.
        >
        > dan
        >
        > Hi Dan,
        >
        > Thanks for the interest in the SWN. I checked out your web page and
        > it appears that you have put a lot of work into it. However, I
        don't
        > think there is any way for you to join the SWN and have your data
        > posted to our mesomap. For the sites that you mentioned, your
        > software pushes the data to them.
        >
        > For the SWN, our members use VWS, Weather Display, or WeatherLink
        > place a data file on their site, and then our server pulls that
        data
        > for the map as needed.
        >
        > You seem to be uploading your data to WU, and CWOP and then
        > populating your website with graphics and data tables created by
        > them. You have a nice website, but unless you are using one of
        those
        > 3 programs, there's no way for us to pull your data and place you
        on
        > the mesomap.
        >
        > It's unfortunate, because I think that South Ogden would fill in a
        > little hole above Olympus Cove, and we need more UT members.
        >
        > If I'm mistaken in your software use and you can upload our data
        file
        > to your website, or if you decide to start using one of the other
        > programs, let me know. The other main requirement of membership in
        > the SWN is that you have a Southwestern Weather Network link on
        your
        > weather home page that links to another page on your site with info
        > on the SWN and its members. Most members run the mesomap to meet
        that
        > requirement.
        >
        > Best regards,
        >
        > Chris
        > www.sloweather.com

      • utahweatherbear
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
          will do He...er WUHU!

          thanx dan

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2008
            Interesting, this is an affililated website of the one you mentioned
            Dan,
            It lists WUHU software
            Steve

            <<Join Northeastern Weather Network
            The Northwest Weather Network (NWWN) is currently looking for new
            members to contribute their data to the network. Our goal is to have
            a comprehensive view of weather conditions across Washington,
            Oregon, Idaho, and Montana. If you are a personal weather station
            owner / operator, please fill out this application and we will
            consider adding you to our network. We are especially looking for
            stations in the more remote parts of our service area.

            System requirements: Contributors must of course have a personal
            weather station that is connected to the Internet and continually
            updating to a website. At the current time, we can pull data from
            users of Weather Display, WeatherLink, Virtual Weather Station, and
            Weather Underground HeavyWeather Uploader (WUHU). View instructions
            on how to configure these software programs to work with NEWN. If
            you meet these requirements and would like to join, please complete
            the form below. If you have any questions, please contact us or ask
            in our forums.<>>
          • utahweatherbear
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
              will this work wuhu?

              http://www.northwesternweather.net/instructions.php#wuhu

              Weather Underground HeavyWeather Uploader (WUHU) Configuration

              NOTE! Needs WUHU 216 Beta 40 or newer !!

              Save the file WUHU_stickertags.txt to folder of your choice.

              Expand WUHU and click the Alerts/Actions-button. A new window will
              appear.

              In Main Action/Alert, select Enable Actions and Repetitions and set
              the value for Selections to 1.

              In WUHU Operation Alarms/Actions, select On Weather Update. If you
              want to update the file ie. every 2 minutes, select also On Update
              Seconds and set the value to 120.

              Click on Sound/Action-button (below Weather Update). A new window
              will appear.

              Write the next string in Action on Activation:
              template:"X:\(where_you_have_saved_WUHU_stickertags.txt)\WUHU-
              stickertags.txt" "X:\(where_you_want_to_save_the_file)
              \WU_stickertags.txt"
              X: is the partition-letter. The above string is an example, configure
              to match your own computer.

              Confirm by clicking OK

              Save the changes with Save Changes

              Simply join and we will take it from there.

              You should be able to see your file in action at
              www.yourweatherwebsite.com/WU_stickertags.txt

              dan

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 2, 2008
                Dan,

                It might work. I am guessing the author of the template knows what
                each field should be.

                There are a couple things that look odd, like the date in the form of
                day/month/year rather than month/day/year or year/month/day, but I
                guess the website owner must know that.

                For heat index and windchill, I would use the windchill (which is
                really apparent tempeature) for both fields. Heat index and wind
                chill are exclusive, so the use of apparent temperature makes more
                sense.

                It appears that the last field in the template is rainfall over the
                past 24 hours rather than daily rainfall?

                It would be nice to see the definition of each field for
                documentation purposes (ie. the units for each field) along with a
                sample output line.

                <utahweatherbear@...> wrote:

> [...]
                you
                > > on
                > > > the mesomap.
                > > >
                > > > It's unfortunate, because I think that South Ogden would fill
                in
                > > > little hole above Olympus Cove, and we need more UT members.
                > > >
                > > > If I'm mistaken in your software use and you can upload our
                data
                > > file
                > > > to your website, or if you decide to start using one of the
                other
                > > > programs, let me know. The other main requirement of membership
                > in
                > > > the SWN is that you have a Southwestern Weather Network link on
                > > your
                > > > weather home page that links to another page on your site with
                > info
                > > > on the SWN and its members. Most members run the mesomap to

              • Juha Jäntti
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 5, 2008
                  Hi all!

                  We have this same project running in Finland, known as "Nordic Weather
                  Network", which implements a station list from Finland, Sweden and Norway.

                  Here's a link to see the map:

                  http://www.nordicweather.net/index.php?sivu=100&lang=en

                  I was one behind in getting WUHU users online in the Nordic Weather
                  Network, so after discovering the growing interest among WUHU users
                  here, I decided it's best shared with my fellow WUHU users, too :)

                  This is the template I'm using in WUHU-WX.txt which is the Template
                  input file:

                  --Begin--
                  %[time2]time_24hr_hour%:%[time2]time_minutes%,%[time2]time_day%/%[time2]time_month%/%[time2]time_year_no_century%,%[outdoor_temperature]deg_C%,---,%[windchill]deg_C%,%[outdoor_humidity]percent%,%[dewpoint]deg_C%,%[pressure_relative]hpa%,%[hourly_rates_of_change]outdoor_relative_pressure_trend%,%[wind_speed]mps%,%[wind_direction]name%,%[rain_24h]mm%
                  -- End --

                  The output looks like this in the output file:

                  --Begin--
                  16:51,05/06/08,24.4,---,24.6,33.0,7.0,1018.63,Falling,1.3,NNE,0.00
                  -- End --

                  Those three dashes in one of the output fields need to be there, since
                  it is for the Heat Index, which doesn't exist as a standalone value.
                  WUHU calculates the Heat Index to the Windchill value, changing the
                  field automatically to Heat Index value as soon as outdoor temperature
                  rises above 50°F (+10°C).

                  I'm using this template to cast out live data to the Nordic map and it
                  works flawlessly, so I think this template will fit like a glove to
                  other similar networks.

                  Best Regards,
                  Juha
                  Weather Station Operator
                  FinWX Station HELKan-1
                  Operating Finland's first Peet Bros Ultimeter 2100 Station.
                  Helsinki, Finland
                  CW4473 / IUUSIMAA2

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 5, 2008
                    Juha,

                    Thanks for posting.

                    Perhaps we need to make a folder in the Files section that is for
                    templates such as this.

                    If we store the templates as simple .txt files, users can download
                    the templates and use them immediately without having to re-format
                    the template from posted messages.

                    --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Juha Jäntti