WUHU History.dat format?

  • Syd
    Message 1 of 11 , May 30, 2008
      I wonder what the format for WUHU History.dat is? I looked in the
      files and searched the messages. Just a mention of the file.
      Message 2 of 11 , May 30, 2008
        Syd,

        The WUHU History.dat is used for internal use only. It holds the
        weather data for the past X hours where X is the "Hours of Weather
        Data in Memory" setting in the general settings.

        If you want to work with history files, you will probably want to
        work with the history.dat that can be output by WUHU. The format of
        this file is the same as used by Heavyweather Pro.

        Are you looking to develop an add-on application that processes
        history files? If so, which development language will you be using?

        Message 3 of 11 , May 30, 2008
          My goal is to put up a C# asmx webservice I can reference from some
          of my public web sites. I make the asumption that WUHU maintains a
          rs232 connection to the weather station and the webservice would need
          to get its data from the dat file(s). Probably will just convert the
          dat to some database records on a periodic basis. The weather
          doesn't change all that fast ;-) ...

          I managed to get a google gadget to display a Weather underground
          thingy (technical term :) and wanted to try my hand at something a
          little more elaborate.

          It depends on what project as to what language - C# or Java (or vb6
          or Javascript) web and gui is done in Micro$oft, command line
          utilities are done in java. I get paid to do Java on a daily basis as
          much as I hate it.

          Message 4 of 11 , May 30, 2008
            Syd,

            There are several ways to access the weather data from WUHU.

            1) Parse the history.dat file output by WUHU. You could monitor this
            file for changes then read the last fixed-length record to get the
            latest data.

            2) You could output a CSV file using a template and On Update Action.
            The target file can be re-written or appended.

            3) You can use an action (On Update Data action) to send live data to
            your web server. Using replacement strings, you can send a URL
            containing live data.

            I guess the method of data retrieval depends on whether or not you
            want the live data or archived data as well.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 2 1:13 PM

              It looks like i will have to fall back to using either the LST file or mock up a template.

              C# has a problem converting the date from the dat file. I am using the FromOADate function of the datetime type and its not converting the date properly.  C# gives 5/30/2008 20:00, and the lst file says its Mon Jun 02 01:07:01 2008 - I'll have to work on that.

              In the mean time i looked at the LST file and it has just about every kind of conversion of every data point - shame its in the INI file format - The coder in me wants to do an INI to XML convertion and then some sort of XSLT - before you say it - i know i can do the same thing with a template - but whats the fun in that?

              Thanks for the super software, without it could not do any of this easily.

              > Syd,
              >
              > There are several ways to access the weather data from WUHU.
              >
              > 1) Parse the history.dat file output by WUHU. You could monitor this
              > file for changes then read the last fixed-length record to get the
              > latest data.
              >
              > 2) You could output a CSV file using a template and On Update Action.
              > The target file can be re-written or appended.
              >
              > 3) You can use an action (On Update Data action) to send live data to
              > your web server. Using replacement strings, you can send a URL
              > containing live data.
              >
              > I guess the method of data retrieval depends on whether or not you
              > want the live data or archived data as well.
              >

              > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Syd" sydkahn@ wrote:
              > >
              > > My goal is to put up a C# asmx webservice I can reference from some
              > > of my public web sites. I make the asumption that WUHU maintains
              > > rs232 connection to the weather station and the webservice would
              > need
              > > to get its data from the dat file(s). Probably will just convert
              > the
              > > dat to some database records on a periodic basis. The weather
              > > doesn't change all that fast ;-) ...
              > >
              > > I managed to get a google gadget to display a Weather underground
              > > thingy (technical term :) and wanted to try my hand at something a
              > > little more elaborate.
              > >
              > > It depends on what project as to what language - C# or Java (or vb6
              > > or Javascript) web and gui is done in Micro$oft, command line
              > > utilities are done in java. I get paid to do Java on a daily basis
              > as
              > > much as I hate it.

              > > <wuhu_software@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Syd,
              > > >
              > > > The WUHU History.dat is used for internal use only. It holds the
              > > > weather data for the past X hours where X is the "Hours of
              > Weather
              > > > Data in Memory" setting in the general settings.
              > > >
              > > > If you want to work with history files, you will probably want to
              > > > work with the history.dat that can be output by WUHU. The format
              > of
              > > > this file is the same as used by Heavyweather Pro.
              > > >
              > > > Are you looking to develop an add-on application that processes
              > > > history files? If so, which development language will you be
              > using?
              > > >

              > > > --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Syd" <sydkahn@>

              > > the

            • scruzphreak
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 3 7:41 AM

                C# gives 5/30/2008 20:00, and the lst file says its Mon Jun
                02 01:07:01 2008 -
                <<

                You're off by 5 hours. What time zone are you in? Are you in eastern
                time (GMT-5)?

                What C# routine are you using to parse the date?

                -ms

              • fikkaud
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 4 1:15 AM
                  I'm monitoring the currdat.lst on update, and updating a MySql
                  database every 5min.
                  Then sky's the limit when it comes to presenting and pulling stats
                  on the web.

                  I wrote a PERL script to accomplish the data storage, and pull what
                  I need for my website with php.

                  regards
                  Audun
                  http://vindkast.no

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "scruzphreak" <ms@...>
                  wrote:

> [...]
                  > > >
                  > > > Syd,
                  > > >
                  > > > There are several ways to access the weather data from WUHU.
                  > > >
                  > > > 1) Parse the history.dat file output by WUHU. You could
                  monitor
                  > this
                  > > > file for changes then read the last fixed-length record to get
                  the
                  > > > latest data.
                  > > >
                  > > > 2) You could output a CSV file using a template and On Update
                  > Action.
                  > > > The target file can be re-written or appended.
                  > > >
                  > > > 3) You can use an action (On Update Data action) to send live
                  > data to
                  > > > your web server. Using replacement strings, you can send a URL
                  > > > containing live data.
                  > > >
                  > > > I guess the method of data retrieval depends on whether or not
                  you
                  > > > want the live data or archived data as well.

                • Syd Kahn
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 4 9:17 AM
                    If you look at the dates - one is 5/30 and the other 6/02 - sigh...

                    in actuality - this are the wo lines that do the work

                    double

                    ts = br.ReadDouble();
                    S.Timestamp =
                    DateTime.FromOADate(ts);

                    http://www.Whatididwas.com , http://www.sydkahn.com ,
                    http://whatididwas.blogspot.com
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 4 10:02 AM
                      Syd,

                      Which field in the INI file are you reading to extract the timestamp?

                      Is it the following?

                      [time]
                      last_actualisation = 3421587681

                      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Syd Kahn" <sydkahn@...>

                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 5 12:28 PM
                        I am going directly to the dat file - reading the binary data. Like this:

                        public struct HwProStruct
                            {
                                public DateTime Timestamp;       //00    Double [8]  Timestamp          days from 12/30/1899 00:00:00 (GMT)
                                public float AbsPressure;      //08    Float  [4]  Abs Pressure       hectopascals (millibars)
                                public float RelativePressure; //12    Float  [4]  Relative Pressure  hectopascals (millibars)
                                public float WindSpeed;      //16    Float  [4]  Wind Speed         meters/second
                                public ulong WindDirection;    //20    ULong  [4]  Wind Direction     see below
                                public float WindGust;         //24    Float  [4]  Wind Gust          meters/second
                                public float TotalRainfall;    //28    Float  [4]  Total Rainfall     millimeters
                                public float NewRainfall;      //32    Float  [4]  New Rainfall       millimeters
                                public float IndoorTemp;       //36    Float  [4]  Indoor Temp        celsius
                                public float OutdoorTemp;      //40    Float  [4]  Outdoor Temp       celsius
                                public float IndoorHumidity;   //44    Float  [4]  Indoor Humidity    %
                                public float OutdoorHumidity;  //48    Float  [4]  Outdoor Humidity   %
                                public float Unknown;          //52    ULong  [4]  unknown            - (Value is always 0)

                                public static HwProStruct FromBinaryReaderField(BinaryReader br)
                                {
                                    HwProStruct s = new HwProStruct();
                                    double ts = br.ReadDouble();
                                    s.Timestamp = DateTime.FromOADate(ts);
                                    //s.Timestamp = DateTime.FromOADate(br.ReadDouble());
                                    //DateTime d = Convert.ToDateTime(s.Timestamp);
                                    s.AbsPressure = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.RelativePressure = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.WindSpeed = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.WindDirection = br.ReadUInt32();
                                    s.WindGust = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.TotalRainfall = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.NewRainfall = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.IndoorTemp = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.OutdoorTemp = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.IndoorHumidity = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.OutdoorHumidity = br.ReadSingle();
                                    s.Unknown = br.ReadUInt32();
                                    return s;
                                }

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 5 3:49 PM
                          Syd,

                          Here is the function used to convert from time_t to double.

                          As I recall, La Crosse did something weird like adjusting the time to
                          GMT local time.

                          If you figure it out, let me know.

                          ---

                          double Convert_time_t_To_DateTime2(time_t vtime_t)

                          {
                          double fresult;
                          // 25569 days from Saturday, December 30, 1899 to Sunday, January 1,
                          1970 (where time_t seconds counts from)
                          double fDeltaDays = 25569 + (vtime_t / (60 * 60 * 24));
                          double fFractionDays = (vtime_t % (60 * 60 * 24)) / (double)(60 * 60 *
                          24);
                          fresult = fDeltaDays+fFractionDays;
                          return (fresult);
                          }