Re: Need some help

    Message 1 of 6 , May 9, 2008

      Matt,

      You would need to either add a PCI serial port card to your computer or purchase a USB to serial adapter.

      There are many USB to serial adapters on the market however most of them do not work properly.

      If you are running XP, this one is the one I would recommend (and you will need the latest drivers from the IOGear site).

      IOGEAR GUC232A USB1.1 to Serial/ PDA Converter Cable

      The PCI serial cards are the way to go if you want the least possible grief, especially if you plan on using Vista. Stick with a good name brand like Adaptec.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "laughlinmatt" <laughlinmatt@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody. I have been loading weather data onto weather
      > underground for about 2 years now. I have a WS-2315 and it uses the
      > heavy weather software and I've never had a problem with it. Anyway,
      > my poor computer finally bit the dust and I am now trying to connect
      > everything to my new computer. Just one problem. The WS-2315 connects
      > through a serial port, however my new computer does not have one. How
      > do I go about connecting and continuing to upload my data? I haven't
      > been uploading for almost 2 days now. I need help.

    • laughlinmatt
      Message 2 of 6 , May 9, 2008
        O wow thank you very much. I was unaware that USB to serial adapters
        even existed. I already have everything loaded up onto the new
        computer (which is vista by the way) any everything seems to be
        working properly, except for the fact I cant upload anything right
        now lol. I will see if I can fine one tomorrow after work.

        Again thank you very much

        > Matt,
        >
        > You would need to either add a PCI serial port card to your
        computer or
        > purchase a USB to serial adapter.
        >
        > There are many USB to serial adapters on the market however most of
        them
        > do not work properly.
        >
        > If you are running XP, this one is the one I would recommend (and
        you
        > will need the latest drivers from the IOGear site).
        >
        > IOGEAR GUC232A USB1.1 to Serial/ PDA Converter Cable
        > <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?
        Item=N82E16812107906&Tpk=GUC\

        Message 3 of 6 , May 10, 2008
          Just to emphasize that not all serial to USB adapters work.
          That I/O gear one mentioned is the only one that would work for me,
          I did try two other brands of "compatible" adapters, they did not
          work.

          Steve

          Message 4 of 6 , May 10, 2008
            I found a good one at Radio Shack. Gigaware USB-A to serial adapter
            cable. Everything is now working just as it should and all my data
            is now loading back up to weatherunderground. here is my link

            http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?
            query=41.182%2C-95.989

            Again thanks alot for your help Steve.

            Matt

            Message 5 of 6 , May 10, 2008
              Happy to hear you are back up and running.

              Steve