SSH (FTP)

  • c_rasmus
    Message 1 of 7 , May 5, 2008
      OK So I'm the guy that posted yesterday about WUHU disabling all the sensors... It was only
      because the Outside Relative Humidity was Below the Sensors design limits >10%... (It's now
      working fine again!)((Tweaks fixed it)) Does anyone who reads this group have any
      experience SSH'ing or SFTP'ing their weatherstation data to their webpage (Or somewhere?) ?
      What file(s) do you upload?

      Thanks.....
      Message 2 of 7 , May 6, 2008
        chuck,

        What you can do is use a template to process an html file then FTP
        the file to your web server.

        Look in the files section of this group for:

        TemplatesSetup.zip - HTML file explaining how to configure WUHU to
        work with templates. Unzip files to a directory then open Index.htm.

        After you understand templates, we can then use an FTP client to send
        that file to your webspace.

        Let me know if you have questions.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "c_rasmus" <chuck@...>
        wrote:

        > OK So I'm the guy that posted yesterday about WUHU disabling all
        the sensors... It was only
        > because the Outside Relative Humidity was Below the Sensors design
        limits >10%... (It's now
        > working fine again!)((Tweaks fixed it)) Does anyone who reads
        this group have any
        > experience SSH'ing or SFTP'ing their weatherstation data to their
        webpage (Or somewhere?) ?
        > What file(s) do you upload?
        >
        > Thanks.....

      • Brian Richman
        Message 3 of 7 , May 7, 2008
          I think you'll find it way easier to use sftp and there are several
          clients/servers out there.

          As you are even thinking of using it, my guess is you must be looking
          to upload to a server at a different location to the one where your
          weather station is over the Internet?

          Remember - ftp is entirely unencrypted - the user id and password is
          all sent in plain text. By using sftp, you'll have an encrypted link
          between the two ends so there is more safety in using this if your web
          server is at a remote location.

          The command line syntax for sftp, if you use it rather than ftp on a
          UNIX server is pretty much like ftp (with one or two extras too), and
          if you are using it on a PC, you tend to get scripting capability. The
          Wikipedia page for SSH has a good overview of ideas and links you can
          investigate:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SSH_file_transfer_protocol

          I use ssh/scp more than sftp, but that's only because historically at
          work we have used that combination alot. SCP works from the command
          line and you can put it in a shell/batch file as a result!

          I recommend the PuTTY program suite - if only because its free and
          unlike much software about - and also like WUHU - it is very good:

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PuTTY
          Message 4 of 7 , May 7, 2008
            I was just looking in to ssh and sftp, apparently the Comcast servers
            do not support either.

            Bummer.

            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Brian Richman"

            Message 5 of 7 , May 8, 2008

              > I was just looking in to ssh and sftp, apparently the Comcast servers
              > do not support either.
              >
              > Bummer.

              If you need a server to test WUHU sending its files via SSH protocols,
              I can set you up an account on one of mine.

              It'll be Unix based, if that's ok?
              Message 6 of 7 , May 8, 2008
                Brian,

                I downloaded the psftp.exe command line program from the putty utility
                download site. It looks pretty straight forward. The script format is
                nearly compatible with the Windows built-in FTP client that I am
                currently using to upload to my personal webspace at Comcast.

                The real problem seems to be the lack of a free host for users to
                place
                their files on. In my situation, Comcast gives it's subscribers 1 Gig
                of webspace, but they do not currently support a sftp server.

                Currently I am uploading a few files each minute, but I am not really
                concerned about a hacker getting a hold of that particular account's
                user ID and password. The most they could do is deface my home page
                and
                read my email (that I don't really use). The account is secondary, so
                they should not be able to fiddle with anything else.

                I did not consider the lack of security using the standard FTP clients
                though. For users who are uploading files via regular FTP, I would
                suggest using an account that you do not care about and a password
                that
                is not common to your other accounts.

                Ideally, you should be using sftp if you have a host that is providing
                the sftp server.

                What might be cool is to have a common secure FTP server where our
                users could upload their extended currdat.lst files. We could then
                write a server process to gather up these files then generate a Google
                KLM file for Google map or Google Earth so that they could all be
                viewed on one map.

                <bjrichus@...> wrote:

                > > I was just looking in to ssh and sftp, apparently the Comcast
                servers
                > > do not support either.
                > >
                > > Bummer.
                > >

                > If you need a server to test WUHU sending its files via SSH
                protocols,
                > I can set you up an account on one of mine.
                >
                > It'll be Unix based, if that's ok?

              • John Liss
                Message 7 of 7 , May 8, 2008
                  Wuhu

                  I run Filezilla ftp server that support sftp.

                  Its free.. It supports the implicit sftp if that is what you are looking
                  for. Dnld it here:
                  http://filezilla-project.org/