Re: inspeed settings

    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2008
      Jeff,

      To configure WUHU to work with the Inspeed, do the following:

      1) Exit WUHU.
      2) Edit the WUHU configuration.ini file (in the C:\Program files\WUHU
      directory) with Notepad.
      3) Add the following keys to the General Settings section:

      Example:

      [General Settings]
      .
      .
      Alternate Wind Sensor Type=1
      Alternate Wind Sensor Port=COM2

      Note #1: Make sure these keys are not already defined in the General
      Setting section. If either key is found, replace them.

      Note #2: The above assumes the Inspeed is on COM2.

      4) Start WUHU.

      If you have any problems let me know.

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Waltermire"
      <jwaltermire@...> wrote:

      > Hi All,
      > I finally got my La Crosse 2315 up and going this week. I'm on WU
      > running WUHU as KMIPLAIN2 or go to 49080 and pick "Airport Park
      Plat".

      > My setup: the 2315 wireless to the console then USB to serial
      adapter
      > to the computer. I have my inspeed hooked up to the bicycle
      computer
      > and have been looking at the WUHU software. I am running standalone
      > WUHU (without Heavy Weather). In my "General Settings" I am running
      > as WS23XX Direct Serial Access on Com4 and it's working GREAT.
      Where
      > do I add the second serial port and adjust the settings for the
      > Inspeed in WUHU? Do I need Heavy Weather to use the inspeed with
      the
      > La Crosse unit?
      >
      > I've been pretty impressed with my 2317 so far. The max gusts are
      > within about 1.5 to 2 mph of the inspeed. I wonder if La Crosse has
      > updated how their gusts come in as my gusts show up about right on
      WU.

      > The WUHU software is great and worked right away.
      >
      > Jeff

    • Jeff Waltermire
      Message 2 of 7 , May 3, 2008
        Does this automatically ignore the Lacrosse windspeed data or do I
        need to turn off the recording of that data somewhere else?

        Thanks for the great software by the way.

        Jeff

        Posted by: "wuhu_software" wuhu_software@... wuhu_software
        Fri May 2, 2008 8:12 pm (PDT)

        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2008
          Jeff,

          When you enable the Inspeed, the wind sensor portion of your station
          will be ignored but the wind vane is used for wind direction.

          There are no other settings you need to make.

          How is it working for you so far? Any wind out your way?

          Message 4 of 7 , May 4, 2008
            You asked if there has been any wind? The last couple of days I've
            had max winds in the 30+ mph range. I'm building a house right now
            and my wind station is on the new house. I live right across the
            street so I have the 2315 going wireless. My inspeed has the bicycle
            computer so that is in the new house. I don't have a good way to
            marry the two together since I have two locations but I hope to
            finish my new house sometime this summer. It's in Plainwell, MI.

            Did Lacrosse do something in their firmware to enhance how gusts are
            recorded? My 2315 is doing a good job of it when compared to the
            inspeed. The La Crosse is showing the max within +/- 2 mph.
            Yesterday the 2315 showed higher than the inspeed but the day before
            the inspeed showed higher. I just wonder if they made a change?

            Gotta go ride the motorcycle for a while.

            Jeff

            Re: inspeed settings
            Posted by: "wuhu_software" wuhu_software@... wuhu_software
            Sat May 3, 2008 6:27 am (PDT)

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2008
              Steve ran a few comparisons between the La Crosse WS-2310 and the
              Inspeed wind sensors.

              The Inspeed always caught the brief gusts where the La Crosse did not.

              Often, the La Crosse wind sensor read zero because it is not facing
              the direction of the wind at all times.

              The remote sensor should be capable of capturing gusts, it is
              possible a firmware change might have happened but I am not aware of
              it.

              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2008
                Yes,
                The biggest difference I detected between the Inspeed and the Lacrosse
                was the ability of the Inspeed to capture quick & brief gusts. The
                other was the ability to capture very light and variable wind.
                If you have steady winds I would hope that they would both be about
                the same.
                A couple other benefits to the Inspeed would be icing in the winter
                and cobwebs in the summer.