Re: [wuhu_software_group] Re: Coffee Can Tipping Bucket Mod for La Crosse 23xx

  • Rich Brunnworth
    Message 1 of 15 , May 2, 2008
      When I was chasing a switch, I first measured the dimensions of it, then
      I looked at how much magnetism it tool to activate.

      Basically you are looking for a switch like the Coto RI-02A, Digikey
      part number 306-1170NO. This switch is on page 1835 catalog T072.

      Rich

      --
      Rich
    • Jon Golubiewski
      Message 2 of 15 , May 2, 2008
        Newark.com and Mouser.com are two other electronics supply houses.  Sometimes the minimum shipping will kill ya, so it's cheaper to try to find something local.

        I just had to replace the reed switch in my rain bucket.  I went to Radio Shack, but couldn't find a reed switch.  They did have reed relay switches, so I grabbed one of those for $2-3 to see if I could make it work.  It worked just fine.  The reed switch relay is a reed switch with a coil to actuate the reed relay.  I didn't need the coil to actuate the relay, but I used the magnet on the tipping bucket instead and it worked fine.  I just used the contacts for the switch (as printed on the back of the package) and didn't use the contacts for the coil.  Bottom line is that if you can't find a reed switch, a reed relay switch will probably work just as well.

        I had also looked at using the magnetic switches used in alarm components.  However, they were generally normally closed (we need normally open or N.O.) and required a larger magnet.

        Failsafe - go with what Rich recommended.

        Jon G.

        --
        Rich

      • jdonovanwv5
        Message 3 of 15 , May 3, 2008
          Thanks guys for sharing you experience! That's really helpful

          Joe

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jon