inspeed settings

  • Jeff Waltermire
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2008
      Hi All,
      I finally got my La Crosse 2315 up and going this week. I'm on WU
      running WUHU as KMIPLAIN2 or go to 49080 and pick "Airport Park Plat".

      My setup: the 2315 wireless to the console then USB to serial adapter
      to the computer. I have my inspeed hooked up to the bicycle computer
      and have been looking at the WUHU software. I am running standalone
      WUHU (without Heavy Weather). In my "General Settings" I am running
      as WS23XX Direct Serial Access on Com4 and it's working GREAT. Where
      do I add the second serial port and adjust the settings for the
      Inspeed in WUHU? Do I need Heavy Weather to use the inspeed with the
      La Crosse unit?

      I've been pretty impressed with my 2317 so far. The max gusts are
      within about 1.5 to 2 mph of the inspeed. I wonder if La Crosse has
      updated how their gusts come in as my gusts show up about right on WU.

      The WUHU software is great and worked right away.

      Jeff
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2008
        Jeff,

        To configure WUHU to work with the Inspeed, do the following:

        1) Exit WUHU.
        2) Edit the WUHU configuration.ini file (in the C:\Program files\WUHU
        directory) with Notepad.
        3) Add the following keys to the General Settings section:

        Example:

        [General Settings]
        .
        .
        Alternate Wind Sensor Type=1
        Alternate Wind Sensor Port=COM2

        Note #1: Make sure these keys are not already defined in the General
        Setting section. If either key is found, replace them.

        Note #2: The above assumes the Inspeed is on COM2.

        4) Start WUHU.

        If you have any problems let me know.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Waltermire"
        <jwaltermire@...> wrote:

        > Hi All,
        > I finally got my La Crosse 2315 up and going this week. I'm on WU
        > running WUHU as KMIPLAIN2 or go to 49080 and pick "Airport Park
        Plat".

        > My setup: the 2315 wireless to the console then USB to serial
        adapter
        > to the computer. I have my inspeed hooked up to the bicycle
        computer
        > and have been looking at the WUHU software. I am running standalone
        > WUHU (without Heavy Weather). In my "General Settings" I am running
        > as WS23XX Direct Serial Access on Com4 and it's working GREAT.
        Where
        > do I add the second serial port and adjust the settings for the
        > Inspeed in WUHU? Do I need Heavy Weather to use the inspeed with
        the
        > La Crosse unit?
        >
        > I've been pretty impressed with my 2317 so far. The max gusts are
        > within about 1.5 to 2 mph of the inspeed. I wonder if La Crosse has
        > updated how their gusts come in as my gusts show up about right on
        WU.

        > The WUHU software is great and worked right away.
        >
        > Jeff

      • Jeff Waltermire
        Message 3 of 7 , May 3, 2008
          Does this automatically ignore the Lacrosse windspeed data or do I
          need to turn off the recording of that data somewhere else?

          Thanks for the great software by the way.

          Jeff

          Posted by: "wuhu_software" wuhu_software@... wuhu_software
          Fri May 2, 2008 8:12 pm (PDT)

          Message 4 of 7 , May 3, 2008
            Jeff,

            When you enable the Inspeed, the wind sensor portion of your station
            will be ignored but the wind vane is used for wind direction.

            There are no other settings you need to make.

            How is it working for you so far? Any wind out your way?

            Message 5 of 7 , May 4, 2008
              You asked if there has been any wind? The last couple of days I've
              had max winds in the 30+ mph range. I'm building a house right now
              and my wind station is on the new house. I live right across the
              street so I have the 2315 going wireless. My inspeed has the bicycle
              computer so that is in the new house. I don't have a good way to
              marry the two together since I have two locations but I hope to
              finish my new house sometime this summer. It's in Plainwell, MI.

              Did Lacrosse do something in their firmware to enhance how gusts are
              recorded? My 2315 is doing a good job of it when compared to the
              inspeed. The La Crosse is showing the max within +/- 2 mph.
              Yesterday the 2315 showed higher than the inspeed but the day before
              the inspeed showed higher. I just wonder if they made a change?

              Gotta go ride the motorcycle for a while.

              Jeff

              Re: inspeed settings
              Posted by: "wuhu_software" wuhu_software@... wuhu_software
              Sat May 3, 2008 6:27 am (PDT)

              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2008
                Steve ran a few comparisons between the La Crosse WS-2310 and the
                Inspeed wind sensors.

                The Inspeed always caught the brief gusts where the La Crosse did not.

                Often, the La Crosse wind sensor read zero because it is not facing
                the direction of the wind at all times.

                The remote sensor should be capable of capturing gusts, it is
                possible a firmware change might have happened but I am not aware of
                it.

                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2008
                  Yes,
                  The biggest difference I detected between the Inspeed and the Lacrosse
                  was the ability of the Inspeed to capture quick & brief gusts. The
                  other was the ability to capture very light and variable wind.
                  If you have steady winds I would hope that they would both be about
                  the same.
                  A couple other benefits to the Inspeed would be icing in the winter
                  and cobwebs in the summer.