Now for a webcam.

  • Paul Wiegman
    Message 1 of 7 , May 2, 2008
      Friends,

      Well, that was easy.  I already had a WeatherUnderground account so downloading the WUHU software was easy, filling in a few blanks was easy, and the system has been working for a day now.  I'm anxious to see how it goes over the longhaul.

      The weather station is KPACONFL2  Confluence is located in the Allegheny Mountains of southwestern Pennsylvania at the confluence of the Casselman & Youghiogheny Rivers and Laurel Hill Creek.  We are next to some of the best whitewater boating in eastern US and at the middle of the Great Allegheny Passage a 153 mile bike/hike trail which goes from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD and connects with the C&O Canal for another 183 miles to Washington, DC.

      Thanks for helping get this station working.

      Now for a webcam.  I have an Intel Model CS430.  It is connected to the computer via a USB port.  What software is available to upload an image of the backyard and adjacent ridge to the WeatherUnderground site, and what are the step-by-step directions for someone who is a novice?

      Thanks,

      Paul

      --
      paul g wiegman
      naturalist/writer/photographer

      pgwphotography@...
    • Rick
      Message 2 of 7 , May 2, 2008
        Tin cam is Free and very Simple or Fling which is by NCH Software,
        either are easy and FREE ftp uploaders mine are both displayed at the
        below web site.

        Rick
        KOHWAPAK1
        http://www.wapakweather.com/

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Wiegman"

        Message 3 of 7 , May 2, 2008
          Paul,
          Sign up and instructions are located here at WU:
          http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/signup.html

          Where'sJames is another free software that works well.
          http://www.wheresjames.com/

          I use the Beta 2.0 ... Works best for me.

          Should be as easy as setting up WUHU and uploading uploading your
          weather data.

          Post here if you have any problems, many of us are currenly uploading
          WeatherCam pics.

          Steve
        • Paul Wiegman
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2008
            Steve,

            Thanks for the help.  I'm not getting an upload to WU.  I think that the problem is that I'm not getting a picture from the webcam.  I took one image and it has been sitting in the file for the whole day.

            Sorry to be so dumb.

            Paul

            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2008
              Paul,
              Did you set up a webcam account at WU?
              What software are you using?
              Did you make sure your pic size 150KB or smaller?
              You mentioned that you took 1 picture. You will need to set the
              software to take a picture no quicker than 1 every minute. Some send
              1 pic ever 5 or 10 minutes. That is your choice.

              Steve

              <pgwphotography@...> wrote:

              > Steve,
              >
              > Thanks for the help. I'm not getting an upload to WU. I think
              that the
              > problem is that I'm not getting a picture from the webcam. I took
              one image
              > and it has been sitting in the file for the whole day.
              >
              > Sorry to be so dumb.
              >
              > Paul
              >
              > On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:19 PM, steve_03222 <steve_03222@...>
              wrote:

              > > Paul,
              > > Sign up and instructions are located here at WU:
              > > http://www.wunderground.com/webcams/signup.html
              > >
              > > Where'sJames is another free software that works well.
              > > http://www.wheresjames.com/
              > >
              > > I use the Beta 2.0 ... Works best for me.
              > >
              > > Should be as easy as setting up WUHU and uploading uploading your
              > > weather data.
              > >
              > > Post here if you have any problems, many of us are currenly
              uploading
              > > WeatherCam pics.
              > >
              > > Steve
              > >

              > --
              > paul g wiegman
              > naturalist/writer/photographer
              > Confluence / Regent Square, PA
              >
              > pgwphotography@...

            • Paul Wiegman
              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2008
                Steve,

                I got it running. It was a dumb mistake with a password.

                 I using Fwink as the software.  Now I just have to wait for a while to see if the whole thing is stable.

                The step after that is setting up the computer so I can turn on the machine remotely if the power goes out at the remote location and getting control of the computer to restart the programs.

                Thanks for the help.

                Paul

                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2008
                  Paul,
                  Awesome, glad you figured it out.
                  Sounds like you just need to upload the local NWS audiostream now. LOL