Re: Coffee Can Tipping Bucket Mod for La Crosse 23xx

  • jdonovanwv5
    Message 1 of 15 , May 1, 2008
      The ID on the tygon tubing is about 5/16", just a hair over the 1/4"
      on the LaCrosse cover -- also the same length. I have the tubing set
      down low enough (just about 2 mm over the pivot crest) that I believe
      not, the shield on the board is a good 3/4" higher, but will check
      after a good intense rain for inside moisture. Of course it carries
      twice the flow of water in an equivalent storm compared to the
      original. Splashing would not only endanger the board (shorting
      across the power lead) but also lose water, so I'll keep an eye on
      comparison to nearby stations. We had a couple of inches both this
      week and last, and so far, it looks to be consistent. I also have a
      calibration bottle that leaks out slowly, and it checks. But for
      splashing, it is how it handles intense rain that counts.

      I am not sure I have enough drain holes in the base, but I'll see
      what it looks like in there and if needed can pop more drain
      holes.....The bottom of the can is not a watertight fit either no
      hopefully it will stay dry in there.

      Just out of curiosity, do you know of anyone who sells reeds switches
      of this type?

      Joe

      --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com,
      "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

      > Joe,
      >
      > Nice job on the bucket.
      >
      > I did have one question, at the end of the funnel, is the water
      > stream isolated so it does not spray water on to the circuit board?
      >
      > Thanks for sharing.

    • Rich Brunnworth
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        DigiKey sells all kinds of reed switches.

        Rich

        --
        Rich
      • jdonovanwv5
        Message 3 of 15 , May 2, 2008
          Thanks Rich! I appreciate the information! But I know very little
          about how reed switches are classified/measured. How do you read
          what a specific reed switch is, and what do the parameters/
          classifications mean?? there seem to be a zillion different models
          out there. I understand resistance and capacitance, but what is
          reedswitchance?

          Thanks in advance.......

          --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Brunnworth
          <ibbrunnie@...> wrote:

          > DigiKey sells all kinds of reed switches.
          >
          > Rich
          >
          > jdonovanwv5 wrote:
          > >

          > > Just out of curiosity, do you know of anyone who sells reeds
          switches
          > > of this type?

        • Rich Brunnworth
          Message 4 of 15 , May 2, 2008
            When I was chasing a switch, I first measured the dimensions of it, then
            I looked at how much magnetism it tool to activate.

            Basically you are looking for a switch like the Coto RI-02A, Digikey
            part number 306-1170NO. This switch is on page 1835 catalog T072.

            Rich

            --
            Rich
          • Jon Golubiewski
            Message 5 of 15 , May 2, 2008
              Newark.com and Mouser.com are two other electronics supply houses.  Sometimes the minimum shipping will kill ya, so it's cheaper to try to find something local.

              I just had to replace the reed switch in my rain bucket.  I went to Radio Shack, but couldn't find a reed switch.  They did have reed relay switches, so I grabbed one of those for $2-3 to see if I could make it work.  It worked just fine.  The reed switch relay is a reed switch with a coil to actuate the reed relay.  I didn't need the coil to actuate the relay, but I used the magnet on the tipping bucket instead and it worked fine.  I just used the contacts for the switch (as printed on the back of the package) and didn't use the contacts for the coil.  Bottom line is that if you can't find a reed switch, a reed relay switch will probably work just as well.

              I had also looked at using the magnetic switches used in alarm components.  However, they were generally normally closed (we need normally open or N.O.) and required a larger magnet.

              Failsafe - go with what Rich recommended.

              Jon G.

              --
              Rich

            • jdonovanwv5
              Message 6 of 15 , May 3, 2008
                Thanks guys for sharing you experience! That's really helpful

                Joe

                --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jon