Coffee Can Tipping Bucket Mod for La Crosse 23xx

  • jdonovanwv5
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 30 5:36 PM
      here's one for those of you that love the dependable 23xx wireless
      station EXCEPT for the tipping bucket with the tiny enclosure that
      screams "home model"

      The mechanism on the 23xx bucket is basically sound. My gripe with
      it is that the area is ledd than half that of a standard bucket, it
      has a rather shallow 12 mm top lip, and the rectangular horizontal
      section means that "crosswind" rain to the bucket long dimension may
      easily be undercaught. Plus, I've had wind in dry weather blow into
      the bottom drains of the bucket and cause tips.

      My makeover is documented in the MAXWELL HOUSE RAIN GAUGE photo
      folder. It consists of an original 2315 tipping bucket base with
      cover removed and placed inside a standard 6" coffee can equipped
      with a funnel. here is the list of parts

      1 2315 tipping bucket base
      1 standard 6" coffee can with a 10 mm "lip" on top (with the plug-
      type cover) (I used maxwell house but any brand would do)
      1 7" x 7" 0.25" cast aluminum plate, milled corners
      1 6" diameter stainless steel funnel with sieve at outlet
      oil-base primer and rustproof spray paint

      The funnel is commonly available in US -- I got mine at kegworks.com,
      a brewing supply site, but it can also be found on Amazon. It had a
      handle which must be snipped off -- use tin snips. The funnel has a
      rolled outer lip about 3 mm in size that is close to horizontal.
      This is fit to the coffee can and silicon-sealed to the flat lip of
      the top of the coffee can. This lip (the can) must be trimmed by
      about 50% to get a solid press-fit with the funnel. Easy to do with
      standard tin snips, the metal is quite soft.

      The throat of the funnel must be cut back (hacksaw) to within 1/2" of
      the base of the funnel. The stainless is quite ridgid but can be cut
      with care. Also, be be on the safe side, I reduced the diameter of
      the throat to 5/16" using tygon tubing pieces nested and siliconed
      <inside> the funnel throat. The base of the throat is about 5/16"
      above the crest of the teeter on the tipping bucket. Oh, and the
      clips holding the sieve in the base also had to be cut back so as not
      to get tangled in the teeter.

      The can has a pair of 3/4" angle brackets bolted to it, and I use
      galvanized deck screws to fix the angle brackets <through> holes in
      the aluminum base to the corner of a deck. The tipping bucket is
      fixed to the based with four medium-thread self-tapping bolts, flush
      to the bottom

      The only cludge is that, to fit, about 1/2" had to be cut off each of
      the corners of the LaCrosse part. Oh well. One could use anything
      one wanted to as a base, but I had some pieces of beefy 1/4" aluminum
      in the shop. The base is drilled with an array of 3/8" holes beneath
      the ends of the teeter, as drains.

      Problems were, surprisingly, cutting the aluminum. Had to go out and
      buy an appropriate bimetal coarse-tooth blade for my recip that
      wouldn't heat and weld to the aluminum on long cuts. Concerns: I
      want to make sure the base drains well enough not to cause corrosion
      on the reed switch board.

      The good news: it works great, using a 0.3890 tweak from Wuhu.
      Calibrates well and very stable.

      Cost:

      paint: $4
      coffee can : $7 (but we drank the coffee)
      funnel: $12 with shipping

      everything else lying around the shop.

      So.....this rain gauge is now (you knew this was coming.....) GOOD TO
      THE LAST DROP!!!

      Joe
      Message 2 of 15 , May 1, 2008
        Joe,

        Nice job on the bucket.

        I did have one question, at the end of the funnel, is the water
        stream isolated so it does not spray water on to the circuit board?

        Thanks for sharing.

        --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "jdonovanwv5"
        <jdonovanwv5@...> wrote:

> [...]
        > in the shop. The base is drilled with an array of 3/8" holes
        beneath
        > the ends of the teeter, as drains.
        >
        > Problems were, surprisingly, cutting the aluminum. Had to go out
        and
        > buy an appropriate bimetal coarse-tooth blade for my recip that
        > wouldn't heat and weld to the aluminum on long cuts. Concerns: I
        > want to make sure the base drains well enough not to cause
        corrosion
        > on the reed switch board.
        >
        > The good news: it works great, using a 0.3890 tweak from Wuhu.
        > Calibrates well and very stable.
        >
        > Cost:
        >
        > paint: $4
        > coffee can : $7 (but we drank the coffee)
        > funnel: $12 with shipping
        >
        > everything else lying around the shop.
        >
        > So.....this rain gauge is now (you knew this was coming.....) GOOD

      • M. A.P
        Message 3 of 15 , May 1, 2008

          I have a WS2316 (/w direct serial access) that regularly gets the following error messages. Should I assume that the WS2316 is not responding to WUHU as it is trying, at this time to obtain WWVB radio controlled time - It always appears at around the same time but not every day.

          I don't see any curruption of the data.

          Thu May 01 01:06:06 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:06:15 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:06:24 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:06:33 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:06:41 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:06:50 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:06:59 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:06:59 2008 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
          Thu May 01 01:07:09 2008 > Attempting to re-open port COM2.
          Thu May 01 01:07:09 2008 > Port COM2 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.
          Thu May 01 01:07:13 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:07:22 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:07:31 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:07:40 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:07:49 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:07:58 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:08:07 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:08:07 2008 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
          Thu May 01 01:08:17 2008 > Attempting to re-open port COM2.
          Thu May 01 01:08:17 2008 > Port COM2 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.
          Thu May 01 01:08:20 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:08:29 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:08:38 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:08:47 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:08:56 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:09:05 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:09:14 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:09:14 2008 > Detected consecutive communications failures. Attempting to recover by re-opening the port.
          Thu May 01 01:09:24 2008 > Attempting to re-open port COM2.
          Thu May 01 01:09:24 2008 > Port COM2 re-opened successfully, attempting to resume communications.
          Thu May 01 01:09:28 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:09:37 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:09:46 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.
          Thu May 01 01:09:54 2008 > Failed to retrieve weather data from console. Possible invalid/corrupt data detected.

          Back to work after baby– how do you know when you’re ready?
        • Joseph R Vaughn
          Message 4 of 15 , May 1, 2008

            I have a WS-2308 and I get the same message but I have just been ignoring it.

            Joe

            Message 5 of 15 , May 1, 2008
              Hi ---

              It's been my experience that this sort of thing can happen if the Console Clock and Computer Clock are more than a minute or so different... quirk of the systems?

              Jaye Ellen

              --
              Jaye Ellen
            • Joseph R Vaughn
              Message 6 of 15 , May 1, 2008

                Both have the same time.

                Joe

                Message 7 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                  Joe,
                  Another possibility if the times all match is that the setting for
                  daylight savings time is off. There is a setting for EDT on or off
                  in the setup. I don't get the signal and manually set my console.
                  One time I just changed the time by 1 hour and all seemed fine
                  except for what you mentioned. I found the EDT on or off and use
                  that now to change the hour ahead or behind. I am not home right
                  now, but as I write it is probably listed as DST on or off.
                  Steve

                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph R Vaughn"
                  <jrvaughn@...> wrote:

                  > Both have the same time.
                  >

                  > Joe

                  Ellen
                  > Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 9:27 AM
                  > To: wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com
                  > Subject: Re: [wuhu_software_group] Corrupt data detected
                  >

                  > Hi ---
                  >

                  > It's been my experience that this sort of thing can happen if the
                  Console
                  > Clock and Computer Clock are more than a minute or so different...
                  quirk of
                  > the systems?
                  >

                  > Jaye Ellen
                  >
                  > On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Joseph R Vaughn
                  <jrvaughn@vaughnent.
                  > <mailto:jrvaughn@...> com> wrote:
                  >
                  > I have a WS-2308 and I get the same message but I have just been
                  ignoring
                  > it.
                  >

                  > Joe

                • Joseph R Vaughn
                  Message 8 of 15 , May 1, 2008

                    I get the time signal from Colorado and Bill Gates has set my CPU on daylight savings. I don’t think that the issue.

                    href="mailto:wuhu_software_group%40yahoogroups.com">wuhu_software_ group@yahoogroup s.com>
                    > group@yahoogroups. com
                    [mailto:wuhu_ software_

                    href="http://lifestyle.msn.com/familyandparenting/articleNW.aspx?cp-">http://lifestyle. msn.com/familyan dparenting/ articleNW. aspx?cp-
                    documentid=57
                    > 97498&ocid=T067MSN4 0A0701A>
                    >

                    > --
                    > Jaye Ellen

                  • Rick
                    Message 9 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                      Thats your atomic clock trying to update I believe. If your Clock and
                      the console are off my more than 30 secs you will get those errors.

                      RICK
                      KOHWAPAK1

                      http://www.wapakweather.com/

                      Message 10 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                        The ID on the tygon tubing is about 5/16", just a hair over the 1/4"
                        on the LaCrosse cover -- also the same length. I have the tubing set
                        down low enough (just about 2 mm over the pivot crest) that I believe
                        not, the shield on the board is a good 3/4" higher, but will check
                        after a good intense rain for inside moisture. Of course it carries
                        twice the flow of water in an equivalent storm compared to the
                        original. Splashing would not only endanger the board (shorting
                        across the power lead) but also lose water, so I'll keep an eye on
                        comparison to nearby stations. We had a couple of inches both this
                        week and last, and so far, it looks to be consistent. I also have a
                        calibration bottle that leaks out slowly, and it checks. But for
                        splashing, it is how it handles intense rain that counts.

                        I am not sure I have enough drain holes in the base, but I'll see
                        what it looks like in there and if needed can pop more drain
                        holes.....The bottom of the can is not a watertight fit either no
                        hopefully it will stay dry in there.

                        Just out of curiosity, do you know of anyone who sells reeds switches
                        of this type?

                        Joe

                        "wuhu_software" <wuhu_software@...> wrote:

                        > Joe,
                        >
                        > Nice job on the bucket.
                        >
                        > I did have one question, at the end of the funnel, is the water
                        > stream isolated so it does not spray water on to the circuit board?
                        >
                        > Thanks for sharing.

                      • Rich Brunnworth
                        Message 11 of 15 , May 1, 2008
                          DigiKey sells all kinds of reed switches.

                          Rich

                          --
                          Rich
                        • jdonovanwv5
                          Message 12 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                            Thanks Rich! I appreciate the information! But I know very little
                            about how reed switches are classified/measured. How do you read
                            what a specific reed switch is, and what do the parameters/
                            classifications mean?? there seem to be a zillion different models
                            out there. I understand resistance and capacitance, but what is
                            reedswitchance?

                            Thanks in advance.......

                            --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, Rich Brunnworth
                            <ibbrunnie@...> wrote:

                            > DigiKey sells all kinds of reed switches.
                            >
                            > Rich
                            >
                            > jdonovanwv5 wrote:
                            > >

                            > > Just out of curiosity, do you know of anyone who sells reeds
                            switches
                            > > of this type?

                          • Rich Brunnworth
                            Message 13 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                              When I was chasing a switch, I first measured the dimensions of it, then
                              I looked at how much magnetism it tool to activate.

                              Basically you are looking for a switch like the Coto RI-02A, Digikey
                              part number 306-1170NO. This switch is on page 1835 catalog T072.

                              Rich

                              --
                              Rich
                            • Jon Golubiewski
                              Message 14 of 15 , May 2, 2008
                                Newark.com and Mouser.com are two other electronics supply houses.  Sometimes the minimum shipping will kill ya, so it's cheaper to try to find something local.

                                I just had to replace the reed switch in my rain bucket.  I went to Radio Shack, but couldn't find a reed switch.  They did have reed relay switches, so I grabbed one of those for $2-3 to see if I could make it work.  It worked just fine.  The reed switch relay is a reed switch with a coil to actuate the reed relay.  I didn't need the coil to actuate the relay, but I used the magnet on the tipping bucket instead and it worked fine.  I just used the contacts for the switch (as printed on the back of the package) and didn't use the contacts for the coil.  Bottom line is that if you can't find a reed switch, a reed relay switch will probably work just as well.

                                I had also looked at using the magnetic switches used in alarm components.  However, they were generally normally closed (we need normally open or N.O.) and required a larger magnet.

                                Failsafe - go with what Rich recommended.

                                Jon G.

                                --
                                Rich

                              • jdonovanwv5
                                Message 15 of 15 , May 3, 2008
                                  Thanks guys for sharing you experience! That's really helpful

                                  Joe

                                  --- In wuhu_software_group@yahoogroups.com, "Jon